Help with my first Scuba gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What exactly about titanium makes it a better performing reg?
it only affects the weight of the reg (less jaw fatigue for people with weak jaw muscles). It does nothing for gas dynamics.

It is the best in every aspect but isn't for everyone especially the frugal or cheapskates just like Rolls-Royce or Bentley aren't for everyone.
People often want an answer to "the best," but rarely define what best they are looking for. SP MK11T cannot be "the best in every aspect".... if nothing else because price is an aspect. Capability for 100% O2 is an aspect. There are many aspects to regs... to decide on a "Best" requires defining what aspects matter to you.
If I were to have no prospect of "Scuba supplies" ever again, my "best" would be an SP Mk2 paired with an AL 1085 (metal Conshelf) second stage. They would be "the best" for that scenario due to being easily serviced without special tools and easy to make or source expendables from "non-scuba" resources.
Call me cheapskate if you will, but my "best" is not your "best", and others may differ from both of us!

Respectfully,

James

People often want an answer to "the best," but rarely define what best they are looking for. SP MK11T cannot be "the best in every aspect".... if nothing else because price is an aspect. Capability for 100% O2 is an aspect. There are many aspects to regs... to decide on a "Best" requires defining what aspects matter to you.
If I were to have no prospect of "Scuba supplies" ever again, my "best" would be an SP Mk2 paired with an AL 1085 (metal Conshelf) second stage. They would be "the best" for that scenario due to being easily serviced without special tools and easy to make or source expendables from "non-scuba" resources.
Call me cheapskate if you will, but my "best" is not your "best", and others may differ from both of us!

Respectfully,

James
What is the "best" car? Bugatti Veyron? Okay, how does that perform on a Rubicon Trail? Can I tow my boat with it? Can I use it to move furniture? The use of the term "best" is simply nonsense.

Actually, let's make a list of criteria (in no particular order)
1. quantifiable performance
2. price
3. durability of parts
4. ease of servicing
5. frequency of servicing required
6. weight
7. availability of training to service
8. availability of parts for DIYers (a priority only for DIYers)
9. cold water performance (28 F, -2 C)

What did I miss?

Now my list isn't in order for me, but people will place those items (and any criteria I missed) in some order according to their preferences.

Corrosion resistance, titanium
weight to strength ratio, titanium
abrasion resistance, chrome
added ballast, chrome/brass
lugging around on a trip, titanium
cost, chrome/brass

air flow performance, wash
killer good looks, pretty much a wash

looks like a tie but corrosion resistance gets an extra point, exposed spring made of lessor corrosion resistant material take 7/8 of the extra point away.

Corrosion resistance, titanium
I'm not a materials scientist, but when does corrosion become noticeable for other metals? Sounds like a non-issue to me.

The Atomic T3 is what, 1.8 lbs? The M1 is 2.6. Percentage wise, .8 pounds is quite significant. But is anyone going to really notice that during travel?

It is the best in every aspect but isn't for everyone especially the frugal or cheapskates just like Rolls-Royce or Bentley aren't for everyone.
So I had to go look it up:
$2759!!!
For a Mk 25 S620!
A first stage that has been around with minor updates since 2000ish? and a Second stage that has been around for almost as long?

How is that in any way the best? Its the most expensive, that's it.
It can't run nitrox over 40%, it doesn't perform ANY better than the non ti version at $1078 with the exact same 2nd stage. Non-corroding? When did SP switch to crappy stainless and chrome plated brass that corrodes over a dive? Lasts longer between service? Still has the same service interval.
Weight? Got me there, the Ti DIN version is a whopping 220g lighter. That would be $7.64/g. (Ti is currently trading for $9/KG). I'm sure that is for the 1st and second stage only, so what type of hoses would have a bigger weight effect that the material of the 1st stage.

This isn't a dog on scuba pro, more power to them if they can sell $2759 regulators. But the thing literally exists to sell the $1078 version, as was told to me by the SP reg tech instructor.

I'm surprised somebody doesn't do some sort of "special" coating on them to cost even more. Oh wait... T25 Limited Edition Regulator | Atomic Aquatics

I've never been called fugal for not wanting to spend $1000 more for a less useful product.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 2.16.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-05 at 2.16.25 PM.png
    156.8 KB · Views: 28
Because it's SP titanium, duh
No, I am thinking of the Atomic Ti regulator. I have had one since circa 1997 (was T1 that was upgraded to T2). Most awesome regulator.

I'm not a materials scientist, but when does corrosion become noticeable for other metals? Sounds like a non-issue to me.

The Atomic T3 is what, 1.8 lbs? The M1 is 2.6. Percentage wise, .8 pounds is quite significant. But is anyone going to really notice that during travel?
Corrosion happens, just a fact you can somewhat mitigate it with maintenance.
less weight is less weight, it matters to some more than others.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom