Help with first equipment

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

blt2323

New
Reaction score
I am currently taking a scuba class at my college and we are required to buy a snorkeling set. I am looking to get something that is reasonably priced, but will be good enough to be used after the class is completed. I found the following set at leisurepro.com and was wondering your thoughts on it.

Fins: Sherwood Kinesis EX open heel
Mask: Genesis Panview purge four window mask
Snorkel: Genesis Mojave dry snorkel

Here is the link http://www.leisurepro.com/Prod/CategoryID_1904/Context_948/Sort_Stock/DescSort_0/PCKDS25.html?Hit=1

This is just a package that looked good to me, if anyone has other suggestions I would greatly appreciate them. Thanks for your time.

Saying you are getting instruction, why not ask the instructor for advice.

From me: Learn how to check a mask for fit, and buy one locally. You may want to try on many. Get a Wal-Mart snorkel. No need to spend much there. Those Leisure Pro boots are probably OK. I like Mares 5mm, and paid about $30 for mine. There is a good all around fin called a Tusa Imprex that will get you going. Some people who are very experienced divers use them, and they work fairly well for everybody. Leisure Pro has them priced pretty good.

As you progress in diving, you may want other fins, but you have no way of knowing your future preference. (That's why I buy a golf driver every two years.)

Have fun and happy diving!

Don't buy the mask online if you have not tried it to make sure it fits.....every mask and face size/shape is different, without a proper fit you will not be too happy with them.

The suggestion about the Tusa Imprex fin I, too, believe is a good one. I use mine, now, soley as a cold water fin.

However I bought a second pair of cheap fins from LP for warm water diving (full foot). Man, leaving those big open-heel fins behind was one of the best things I've done for my diving. These CHEAP (29.95 from LP) fins just move me along so much easier.... way more efficient. Now, I'm not so far behind my son in air when we board the boat these days.

I still have the Imprex and use them... they're great for the price, BUT it sure is nice to put on these cheap Carribe fins and scoot!

Mask? Better try to find what you like locally...... maybe you instructor could allow you to try diff. masks as you train. Get a good idea what you like and THEN order it from LP (their prices are just hard to beat).

No reg. shopping yet? BC? Computer?

Have great fun..... your in a great moment of your diving career!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom