What equipment do you recommend to start? (+ links of what I'm seeing)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

During OW, I bought a relatively cheap mask and snorkel through Amazon. Later I tried a few at a shop and found one that fits my face much better, especially around the nose for equalizing. I have the original as a backup/loaner now.

For fins I rented for awhile, tried buying a pair (Amazon again) and ending up sending them back. I found a pair I really like and have been happy with after again going to a shop and trying on a few. It was important to try them with my booties.

I also got a cheaper computer to start and recently upgraded to a better one as well. It’s now also a backup, though it may end up for sale since that’s a bit more money I could use.

I could have saved some money waiting and renting a bit longer till I had a better feel for what I really wanted, so I definitely recommend taking your time and trying things out. The ability to rent gear in scuba is an option that many hobbies don’t share, so I say take advantage until you’re
hello! I am looking for my first basic equipment that consists of fins + boots, mask and snorkel. the fins do not need excessive speed, but rather energy saving and easy handling.
I do recreational diving and for scientific purposes (searching, mapping, taking samples, taking measurements).
The big question of every ignorant beginner and also with a low budget is if what I want to buy really works for me? Is this product really worth the expense?
That is why I seek your help... and remember I am buying all this in the USA from Uruguay

-Fins-
I started seeing these fins but the cost is very high (although I like them and read that they are very good)

I went to look for lower prices (the real problem is the $$ of shipment) but to continue within the reference brands and I found these 2 options:

and in the search this used set appeared but I do not know the quality of that model of Tusa fins compared with my others options.
however getting the whole set for that price is a bargain and it would be very convenient for my economy

Also I have seen very nice Tusa fins and at reasonable prices, what is your opinion of the brand?

-Mask and snorkel-
I found this set very nice and I think it is of acceptable quality, I am waiting for the seller to confirm that the mask is without purge valve

Any general advice would be more than appreciated.

Thank you for taking the time to read my post.
Greetings to all!!
I've been diving since 1990. Back then, I bought whatever I could easily afford, as long as it was a brand name that everyone recognized. Over the years, as I made more money and enjoyed the hobby more and more I started upgrading all my equipment, and today, I own the "Rolls Royce" of every piece of dive gear. And you know what?? THERE ISN'T MUCH DIFFERENCE!!! So, my advice to you is to buy whatever you can comfortably afford, that will be easy to service if necessary, and that's about it. Buy what is on sale, etc. I'm telling you, there isn't much difference between the least expensive pair of fins and the most expensive, etc. etc. Buy a mask that FITS THE BEST, regardless of price. If you're merely a recreational diver looking to enjoy a favorite hobby this would be my recommendation. Consider it this way: If you are TIger Woods the difference between an ordinary golf club and the very very very best golf club could be the difference between winning or losing a golf tournament. But if you're a regular golfer, spending an extra ton of money to shave 2 or three strokes off a pretty bad golf score isn't going to make much of a difference! Unless you plan on doing some really obscure or dangerous diving, there just isn't enough difference to justify breaking the bank.

I've been diving since 1990. Back then, I bought whatever I could easily afford, as long as it was a brand name that everyone recognized. Over the years, as I made more money and enjoyed the hobby more and more I started upgrading all my equipment, and today, I own the "Rolls Royce" of every piece of dive gear. And you know what?? THERE ISN'T MUCH DIFFERENCE!!! So, my advice to you is to buy whatever you can comfortably afford, that will be easy to service if necessary, and that's about it. Buy what is on sale, etc. I'm telling you, there isn't much difference between the least expensive pair of fins and the most expensive, etc. etc. Buy a mask that FITS THE BEST, regardless of price. If you're merely a recreational diver looking to enjoy a favorite hobby this would be my recommendation. Consider it this way: If you are TIger Woods the difference between an ordinary golf club and the very very very best golf club could be the difference between winning or losing a golf tournament. But if you're a regular golfer, spending an extra ton of money to shave 2 or three strokes off a pretty bad golf score isn't going to make much of a difference! Unless you plan on doing some really obscure or dangerous diving, there just isn't enough difference to justify breaking the bank.

If you want an inexpensive generic mask,

Few masks fit my face well. I bought this one as a backup mask, and shockingly it fits my face very well. I've let several other divers try it, and it fits their faces too. That said .... masks are a very personal thing. It's fairly common to try on about a dozen masks until you find one that fits. I can't promise this, or any other mask will fit you. Your best bet is to go to a local dive shop and try on EVERY mask. You may annoy the dive-shop owner, but it's worth it. You'll want to do the inhale through your nose test, and to ensure it sticks and leak at all. Perhaps the #1 purchase for any diver is a mask that actually fits well and doesn't leak.

The Mares Avanti Quattro is generally well liked. I own a pair and like them. They also pop up on the used market constantly. Just make sure to check the size guide to ensure it fits.

For snorkel .... a significant percentage of us don't use the snorkel after our initial Open Water class. However, the people who do tend to continue using snorkels will often go for the folding snorkels.

hi guys!!! I really thank you all 4 yours comments. Today my purchases of fins, boots, mask and snorkel arrive!!!! Super excited!!:yeahbaby:

What did you get?

What did you get?
fins tusa liberator X ten, short boots also tusa, pack of snorkel and mask cressi, the mask is "perla" and the snorkel I don't remember now jeje... also a bagpack fos storage all it, and a very nice tolla-poncho 'cause the change of clothes has been a big problem this last months. Also a "Wrist Writing Dive Slate" we'll see if it really useful

If your mask doesn't fit your face well, send it back and get some other kind!

Speaking for myself:
Booties, fins, mask with prescription lens and shortie were the first purchase.

I will suggest safety equipment to any new diver, even a simple smb is better than nothing.

If your mask doesn't fit your face well, send it back and get some other kind!
I Hope It fits me, untill now every mask that I've try fits right on me... It seems like I have a generic shape face

I Hope It fits me, untill now every mask that I've try fits right on me... It seems like I have a generic shape face
That’s a very good skill to have 😂

I wish I had that generic face shape.

If you need instructions to check for mask fit there are few on this page if that helps:

Don’t forget to check if the skirt touch your face evenly without pressure (in addition to checking that the mask stays when sucking a bit of air in).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom