Brand New -- Got Some, Need Some

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sure I do! Not sure if Leisure Pro carries them but Scuba Toys does for sure. They're local to me so that's where I typically get all my gear.

Seac Basic HD Boot - Dive Boots - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

They also have the hard sole if you prefer that.

Seac Pro HD Boot - Dive Boots - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

Edit: In looking at the ones your LDS carries, it doesn't appear that either pair have the little heel nub but Agualung does make a pair (SafeSole Ergo Boots) that do have them. So they can probably order you in a pair if necessary.

Thanks! So.... I had set up a time to come in to meet with the LDS. When I got there, the one guy working spent 20+ minutes chatting with someone in there. When they finally left, he basically told me they have a small stock because it's the best. He asked what the heel nub/fin strap lug was for, told me no one ever has a problem keeping fins on, and said it was the "dumbest thing he'd ever heard." He told me looking for something with a zipper was also pointless because zippers never slide down underwater. He said they prefer not to do returns, so come back with my fins when they come in instead of taking time "that is pointless." I feel so disheartened. I guess I will be looking for another dive shop, and maybe ordering more online and returning if needed. :-\

Thanks! So.... I had set up a time to come in to meet with the LDS. When I got there, the one guy working spent 20+ minutes chatting with someone in there. When they finally left, he basically told me they have a small stock because it's the best. He asked what the heel nub/fin strap lug was for, told me no one ever has a problem keeping fins on, and said it was the "dumbest thing he'd ever heard." He told me looking for something with a zipper was also pointless because zippers never slide down underwater. He said they prefer not to do returns, so come back with my fins when they come in instead of taking time "that is pointless." I feel so disheartened. I guess I will be looking for another dive shop, and maybe ordering more online and returning if needed. :-\
WOW.....I'm really quite disappointed to hear you were treated that way in a dive shop. Obviously either that person doesn't know what he's talking about or he just doesn't care to do his job properly. Even more obvious from that interaction, the shop just doesn't care to do business and likely won't last very long. I'm the kind of person that would've called him out and then explained why I wouldn't be back. Are you doing your OW through this shop?

And just to point it out.....obviously NO SHOP prefers to do returns, as they're all in business to make money.

Go elsewhere. Even if it means a drive.

As far as gear how often are you planning on diving? Gear maintenance is important, if you aren't going to be able to dive a good amount through the year it might make sense to rent bcd, reg, etc.

Renting doesn't always allow you to get really comfortable with your gear however.

As far as buying things, you should get the mask, fin, snorkel, booties for sure.

Another piece you should absolutely get is a dive computer. It doesn't make a lot of sense to rent one as the shops that do usually charge a good amount for the rental.

As far as buying bcd, reg, etc and traveling, you have to weigh the costs of getting the gear where you are going vs renting the gear you need when you get to your warm water destination.

Flying gear around with you adds a good amount of weight.

My suggestion would be to do the snorkel as well. It is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. On that note there have been stories of dive boats leaving divers on dive locations, some mentioned on here. In that situation you'll want a snorkel for sure.

Last, but not least. There is another side to this that gets over looked about every time.

Are you absolutely sure you are going to be diving for a good while?

I hope so, of course, but this is often overlooked when people come asking for gear suggestions.

There are a TON of people who go all out on gear and sell it a year or two later at a big loss. As a matter of fact I was eyeing a 1700.00 regulator a few days ago, person only used it once. He's going to lose 40-50% of that initial cost on JUST that regulator. And about the same % on a lot of his other gear. At that point his loss to dive once or even one trip will be in the thousands.

Just something to think about and I hope you do dive for the rest of your life.

This is an expensive hobby, requiring a good amount of money. If you're going to be doing it for years there's nothing wrong with making the investment.

If you're not sure, maybe rent for a bit or look at used gear, and slowly upgrade things. Service for regulators isn't cheap however and this is an ongoing requirement, used or new. Since you're new I think all of this should be in your mind when deciding your gear choices.

If you're doing your referral dives in warm water, Fl might be a good place to go do the dives for your cert and to shop around.

I've been to a lot of international places and most places don't have much in the way of a actual scuba shop just so you know. Florida is littered with dive shops. My suggestion would be to find one with a pool or one that will let you try some gear before buying.

@Chidiver1 The downside to diving rental gear, though, is not only do you not get comfortable with your gear, but you don't really develop your own skillset either. Depending on how long you dive a certain gear setup when you're on site, sure you develop some familiarity with it at the time, but almost assuredly the next time you dive it'll be in different gear and you'll have to build those skills over again. Diving your own gear allows you to dial in your skills better because you know the gear, you know how it reacts in different conditions and you know how to compensate for its little nuances. It's absolutely more of a PITA to travel with your own gear, but at least for me, it's well worth it. But you're absolutely right. If you think there's a chance diving could be a limited time thing, then buying your own gear is sort of a waste because as you said you'll lose money on it even selling it near new. So diving rental gear for a while is absolutely advisable, at least until you decide whether or not diving is going to be an activity or a lifestyle.

@Chidiver1 The downside to diving rental gear, though, is not only do you not get comfortable with your gear, but you don't really develop your own skillset either. Depending on how long you dive a certain gear setup when you're on site, sure you develop some familiarity with it at the time, but almost assuredly the next time you dive it'll be in different gear and you'll have to build those skills over again. Diving your own gear allows you to dial in your skills better because you know the gear, you know how it reacts in different conditions and you know how to compensate for its little nuances. It's absolutely more of a PITA to travel with your own gear, but at least for me, it's well worth it. But you're absolutely right. If you think there's a chance diving could be a limited time thing, then buying your own gear is sort of a waste because as you said you'll lose money on it even selling it near new. So diving rental gear for a while is absolutely advisable, at least until you decide whether or not diving is going to be an activity or a lifestyle.

I already said that in my post. Comfortable meaning skillset.

dont know where you are in pittsburgh. shops I go to are B&B diving new castle pa large selection.
scotts scuba in freeport or mars scuba- mars pa

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom