• Welcome to ScubaBoard

1. Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
    • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
    • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Login or Register now by clicking on the button

Brand New -- Got Some, Need Some

Discussion in 'Fins, Masks and Snorkels' started by Pittsburgh_Mom, Jul 16, 2019.

1. delacrue96

delacrue96 Scuba Chixs Member

# of Dives: 50 - 99
    Sure thing! The fin strap lug is actually a hard rubber piece at the back of the dive boot so your fin strap can rest above it. I hope this helps.

2. Sh0rtBus

Sh0rtBus BUBBLLLLLLES! My Bubbles ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 100 - 199
    Here's a pic of booties with the fin strap lug. I actually dive these myself and they're excellent! Both of my pairs are 5mm but I drilled holes in the soles of one pair for warm water diving so the water drains when I get out. Also if you look, there's a velcro strap that goes across the zipper track beneath the zipper pull to keep it from slipping down during your dive. Another great design IMHO.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQIL56zf7ljHl2XQ8Ew3DzljoXxfCf_R246wuPQ2dh1wYaOsqUX.jpg

delacrue96 likes this.
  3. MichaelMc

MichaelMc Divemaster Candidate

Welcome.

Snorkel:
    - simple, no extra purges etc. which get sand in them, leak, etc
    - foldable/stowable is nice, but they can be harder to use.
    - one I like https://www.makospearguns.com/Freedive-Snorkel-p/mfsnkl.htm
    - You need one early for drills, they can make surface swims/waits easier.
    - Mine says ashore or at home. But I keep looking for a folder to carry for emergencies.

Mask:
    - Fit is the highest criteria
    - no purge vent is much better, its just a source of leaking
    - small volume, so easy to clear
    - black inside will allow fewer reflections on the inner glass
    - What I wear: www.makospearguns.com/Minimus-Mini-Freedive-Mask-p/mmm.htm
    several here have found them to fit well.

(I have no connection to Mako, I just like those bits of kit)

4. Marie13

Marie13 Great Lakes Mermaid ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 200 - 499
    I ended up with Atomic split fins (after trying some others) as they were easy on my knees. Now I just use them for snorkeling laps in the pool as I’ve strengthened leg muscles. I have a pair of white (easy to see in our lower viz - see avatar pic) Deep6 Eddy fins, as well as a pair of Hog Tech 2 fins I use with my doubles.

Sh0rtBus likes this.
  5. Pittsburgh_Mom

Pittsburgh_Mom ScubaBoard Supporter ScubaBoard Supporter

# of Dives: 0 - 24
    That sounds amazing!!!! I got the Seawing Novas, but I don't know how they will work for me. These look like great fins, too, and would be a different sort for me to work with. I am a size 8 in women's shoes, and it looks like I'd be right around their small/medium area, so these should fit, right? Let me know, and THANK YOU! :)

Marie13 likes this.
  6. Pittsburgh_Mom

Thank you so much. That is all incredibly helpful! I did not get my mask yet, but it should be soon. I am going to try everything you said. That makes a lot more sense to me than just sniffing it to see if it pulls into my face. My mask is slated to come tomorrow. Both my fins and mask I got with bright yellow... I am not really a bright yellow girl at all (my favorite color is dark blue), but I figured these would be more visible, and it sounds like that was a good choice!

I made a note to look for booties with a heal nub this evening when I am at the dive shop. All of this was so incredibly helpful! I feel like a lot of this stuff is really expensive, and I would hate to spend a ton of money on things that just don't work for me. My local dive shop seems to have a very small inventory, and they seem to sell very few brands. Most of my few experiences with them have basically gone with me asking what may work, trying to explain what I am looking for, and being told that I am too new to know anything or have any preferences, so just take this one thing they sell. That is tough! Leisure Pro is online for me (I don't live near them) but they seem way more helpful about explaining some things. I just "don't know what I don't know," so I spent countless hours reading in these discussion boards and watching YouTube videos to try to learn more. I deeply appreciate the time and thought you put into helping me!!!! :) :) :)

Sh0rtBus likes this.
  7. Pittsburgh_Mom

Thank you so much. That is absolutely helpful! I am going to look into each of those! Thank you!!! :)

8. Pittsburgh_Mom

Aha! Someone else described a nub at the back of the bootie to help keep my fin straps in place. The same thing, perhaps? :D

9. Pittsburgh_Mom

Do you happen to have a link to those booties, by chance?

10. Sh0rtBus

Sh0rtBus BUBBLLLLLLES! My Bubbles ScubaBoard Supporter

Sure I do! Not sure if Leisure Pro carries them but Scuba Toys does for sure. They're local to me so that's where I typically get all my gear.

Seac Basic HD Boot - Dive Boots - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

They also have the hard sole if you prefer that.

Seac Pro HD Boot - Dive Boots - Scuba Equipment Dive Gear Best Prices

Edit: In looking at the ones your LDS carries, it doesn't appear that either pair have the little heel nub but Agualung does make a pair (SafeSole Ergo Boots) that do have them. So they can probably order you in a pair if necessary.