Help w/Wife's Fins, She Doesn't Like Deep 6 Eddy's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call deep6. I spoke to them before we made the mods and they said if it didn't work they would take care of us. The heating was actually pretty straightforward. We put a shape inside to mod the top and then applied heat with a hair dryer until it softened and then let it slowly cool and it held the shape. It is just a thermoplastic. It is what it does for a living. hehe

I was raised by depression era parents. My dad was a mechanic and a machinist. I never had the money or desire to pay someone else to fix stuff so I got used to making things work. It's a mindset I suppose.

At least call them and tell them what's going on. Selling the larges shouldn't be a problem if all else fails.

That is probably exactly what I needed to do. I just didn't have the heart to do it. I was thinking heat / reshaping, but that's even a step further.

I traded the S/M out for L last year and then we didn't dive for a while, she only tried them on in the pool. Never mentioned how loose they felt until now. Last weekend was our first dive this year (pretty sad, but with younger kids it's hard). I doubt Deep 6 would let me trade these in. She's only dove them twice though.

Modify or sell or hang them up in the closet for 6 months and see how things change. I hate when I buy something that should work but doesn't seem to at that time. I either sell that thing or shelve it. Then when I wear out all the other options, I find my first choice really was the best choice.

When my Mares X-Streams fell apart, I was seriously considering Tilos Starbust. These fins are very lightweight--good for travel!--and they have good reviews despite their low price ($79.95 for L-size at amazon.com). I ended up buying splits, but if I were you, I'd try Tilos. In case she doesn't like them, it's not a big loss.

Call deep6. I spoke to them before we made the mods and they said if it didn't work they would take care of us. The heating was actually pretty straightforward. We put a shape inside to mod the top and then applied heat with a hair dryer until it softened and then let it slowly cool and it held the shape. It is just a thermoplastic. It is what it does for a living. hehe

I was raised by depression era parents. My dad was a mechanic and a machinist. I never had the money or desire to pay someone else to fix stuff so I got used to making things work. It's a mindset I suppose.

At least call them and tell them what's going on. Selling the larges shouldn't be a problem if all else fails.

I sent Deep6 and email. I'll see what they do. They've been a great company, if they were to decline to swap them out it would be 100% fine.

My parents didn't grow up in the depression (my great grandparents did, hehe. But that's only because we're all cursed having kids too young....no one makes it past 18 in my family without having at least 1). We are a family of mechanics, machinists, and welders. We fix what needs fixin, lol. No one works on my home, cars, or anything for that matter.

My problem with her fins is that I can't read her mind and she has a hard time conveying what's going on (doesn't know what she doesn't know I guess, and I'm not an expert either). Last weekend was the 1st I heard that they were too loose, today is one year exactly since I received the L.....

This does not agree with my personal experience. I directly compared a pair of black to a pair of blue in the same size (large). The blue fins were definitely softer/more flexible.

YMMV,

Jackie

Interesting, they are the same durometer

I sent Deep6 and email. I'll see what they do. They've been a great company, if they were to decline to swap them out it would be 100% fine.

My parents didn't grow up in the depression (my great grandparents did, hehe. But that's only because we're all cursed having kids too young....no one makes it past 18 in my family without having at least 1). We are a family of mechanics, machinists, and welders. We fix what needs fixin, lol. No one works on my home, cars, or anything for that matter.

My problem with her fins is that I can't read her mind and she has a hard time conveying what's going on (doesn't know what she doesn't know I guess, and I'm not an expert either). Last weekend was the 1st I heard that they were too loose, today is one year exactly since I received the L.....
send the fins back with note , name, and phone number in the box saying you want to swap sizes. Sorted

send the fins back with note , name, and phone number in the box saying you want to swap sizes. Sorted

As always you guys rock (starting genuinely to have a bit of a man crush on deep 6, and I've never had these feelings before?).

All jokes aside, that was not an expectation of mine, but all the same throws a few more points on the board for Deep 6 in my book. Thanks a ton!

Back
Top Bottom