Help w/Wife's Fins, She Doesn't Like Deep 6 Eddy's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This does not agree with my personal experience. I directly compared a pair of black to a pair of blue in the same size (large). The blue fins were definitely softer/more flexible.

YMMV,

Jackie
My guess is the new fins may be softer than the originals, were the black the older no hole type?

Was there ever a break in period? Did it ever feel tight or hurt the arch on the top of your foot? I almost thought about taking hair dryer / hot air gun to "mold" the pocket to the top of her foot, but I didn't want to damage something that might be sent back (and was).

I've seen her feet, they've never looked overly "arched" to me. Just normal, petite feet...

I hate to keep picking on you, but it seams you and her are about the same size, so you might be my best bet at getting to the bottom on it.

The boot should feel snug but not extremely tight in the fin pocket. I'm a size 6 women's shoe, wear a size 7 womens/size 5 mens 3mm dive boot with thick sole for sea urchins and wear a size medium fin in Atomic Aquatics or a size small fin in Mares Avanti Quattro Plus. I've found some fins have a bigger foot pocket than others, hence the small vs medium.

The boot should feel snug but not extremely tight in the fin pocket. I'm a size 6 women's shoe, wear a size 7 womens/size 5 mens 3mm dive boot with thick sole for sea urchins and wear a size medium fin in Atomic Aquatics or a size small fin in Mares Avanti Quattro Plus. I've found some fins have a bigger foot pocket than others, hence the small vs medium.

Yeah, I don't think the pocket was the issue with the Deep 6 S/M, it was more or less the spring (being too tight and pushing the "arch" of her foot into the pocket). I think if I had it to do over I would have done what someone suggested and see if I could of put bungee on there instead of the spring...

Edit: To me it looks like a perfect fit in the picture, except for the spring being too tight

The foot pocket and straps on deep6 fins can be a bit finicky for some people. I also had a load of trouble with these fins.

I finally got the problem solved by extending the spring straps and changing to booties that had rubber around the top of the foot as well as the bottom. They don't sell different sized straps, so I had to add some washers in between the spring and the fin attachment screw. Sure would be nice if DeepSix would include an option for different sized springs! It took me a LONG time to get the eddy's dialed in. I was motivated in that I wanted a powerful fin that was slightly positive for summer diving in just trunks or a skin...

The foot pocket and straps on deep6 fins can be a bit finicky for some people. I also had a load of trouble with these fins.

I finally got the problem solved by extending the spring straps and changing to booties that had rubber around the top of the foot as well as the bottom. They don't sell different sized straps, so I had to add some washers in between the spring and the fin attachment screw. Sure would be nice if DeepSix would include an option for different sized springs! It took me a LONG time to get the eddy's dialed in. I was motivated in that I wanted a powerful fin that was slightly positive for summer diving in just trunks or a skin...

Can you post a pic when you get a chance? I'm having a hard time "seeing" where you added washers.

Different size springs would have probably made it work.

Edit: if I still had the S/M I could of swapped my springs over to see if that did the trick....at least I would have known...

Springs can be a problem in certain combinations of length and boot and fin. When I was wearing thin soled tropical booties with fins that fit them, not much of my heel stuck out. A spring short enough to keep the fin on my foot was uncomfortable and practically too tight to get the fin on, just not enough length to stretch. I tried 2 different types of springs (and lost one fin) before I gave up on springs and went to homemade bungie straps that had more stretch. It wasn’t until I got bulkier booties, then had to move up a fin size, that the proportions were such that a spring strap would even work for me.

You might try something else like a old fashioned rubber strap and see if that works for now, if you have some that fit the fins.

Don't laugh, it happens.
I'll admit to doing that once. I did wonder why my fins felt tight on that dive, and found out when I took them off

My usual fins are DR XTs

My wife and I also have XT's as our go to fins (for 5 years), and they're great especially in proper current. We also both have and use Apex RK3 fins (used for 3 years) . We use then as our travel fin, and again have used them in strong Indonesian currents and they're fine - only marginally inferior to the DR for sheer power, but with the slight advantage that they put less fatigue on your legs so you can kick harder for longer .

They're slightly more compact for travel and are neutral in the water. They'll be going with me to Komodo again in December when 4 of use are with Current Junkies, seeking out the more extreme sites.

This does not agree with my personal experience. I directly compared a pair of black to a pair of blue in the same size (large). The blue fins were definitely softer/more flexible.

YMMV,

Jackie

We use the same material. The only difference is the dye.

IMG_5008.jpg

I have a friend that has a bony prominence on the top of her arch. We first heated and reshaped the top of the eddy fin which worked but it wasn't quite enough so we cut a small piece about the size of a quarter out of the top of the fin along the edge and it solved her problems and she went from hating to loving the fin.

View attachment 531311
I have a friend that has a bony prominence on the top of her arch. We first heated and reshaped the top of the eddy fin which worked but it wasn't quite enough so we cut a small piece about the size of a quarter out of the top of the fin along the edge and it solved her problems and she went from hating to loving the fin.

That is probably exactly what I needed to do. I just didn't have the heart to do it. I was thinking heat / reshaping, but that's even a step further.

I traded the S/M out for L last year and then we didn't dive for a while, she only tried them on in the pool. Never mentioned how loose they felt until now. Last weekend was our first dive this year (pretty sad, but with younger kids it's hard). I doubt Deep 6 would let me trade these in. She's only dove them twice though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom