Help w/Wife's Fins, She Doesn't Like Deep 6 Eddy's

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hold on here... I am not personally familiar with the Eddy fins, but a size 7 boot (even if mens sizing) in a size L fin intended for boots sounds HIGHLY suspect. Maybe those fins just don't really fit her.

My wife has strong legs, but doesn't like stiff fins. She has settled on TUSA Zoom splits after buying and selling several fins, including the Avanti Quattos. Our lady friend, who is a competitive swimmer, really likes her Oceanic Accels, which i sold her after trying them and really disliking them. I alternate between Eddys (good for air travel) and DR XTs, and use F2s for my volunteer aquarium diving.

Hold on here... I am not personally familiar with the Eddy fins, but a size 7 boot (even if mens sizing) in a size L fin intended for boots sounds HIGHLY suspect. Maybe those fins just don't really fit her.

Sounds odd to me, as well. I wear size 7 women’s shoes. My wetsuit booties are size 6/extra small. My Atomic Splits are size small. The Fusion boots I use with my drysuit are size 7. My Hog Tech 2 fins are size medium.

From what I understand, OMS Slipstreams are slightly heavier and slightly softer than the Eddys. I'm diving a large pair that I picked up used and have been pleased so far.
I also dive Force Fin Pros frequently which are surprisingly effective for frog (actually easier as I am still getting used to the Slipstreams)

I was up at Dutch last weekend too, shame I didn't know then.

If you want to experiment, I use a 5mm size 9 semi-soft sole boot - so probably close enough, but at the other end of the fit range. Either if I'm @ Dutch, or I'm close to 476 where it changes to Toll you could swing by to borrow ...

I have:
Atomic "Smoke On The Water" Splits (the stiffer compound)
OMS Slipstream
Force Fin Pro
Force Fin Hockey

Actually, I'd be interested in trying the Eddys vs the Slipstreams if we find an overlapping Dutch day.

Really appreciate the offer! I only get up to Dutch 1-2 times a year. It's the drive (and the cost to dive) that kills me. She didn't tell me about the fit issue until last night (go figure). We could of tried a multitude of fins while we were there.... I'll keep your offer in mind though for sure, and I'd be happy to let you test the Eddy's. I have L and XL to suit your needs.

We tried several booties until we found the ones that she liked, then I got the S/M Eddy's. I loosened them as far as they could go and she could still just barely fit her foot in there. It was really tight to the point it hurt the top of her foot. I sent Deep 6 pictures and everything and they swapped them for a L (no questions asked, they were happy to help, happy to swap free of charge). I made the L as tight as possible and it's a much better fit. You might be right though, they might just not fit her, almost like she's a split size.

Sounds odd to me, as well. I wear size 7 women’s shoes. My wetsuit booties are size 6/extra small. My Atomic Splits are size small. The Fusion boots I use with my drysuit are size 7. My Hog Tech 2 fins are size medium.

Well now I'm confused. I believe she wears size 6 or 7 Tusa booties (like these); TUSA Imprex 5 mm Neoprene Boots, Black
And they just would not fit in a S/M without cutting off the circulation to the top of her foot. I didn't believer her until I saw her strain to pull the spring on. They were really tight.

@Marie13 do you find the Eddy's tight? Was there maybe a break in period that she needed to get past with the S/M?

My biggest fear is that she might be doing something wrong (or maybe I am, lol) with the paddle fins that causes a discomfort, and rather than learn what she's doing wrong, we'll put a band-aid on it and throw different gear at it. On the other hand this might be true also;

The biggest deal is figuring out what she wants to do and buying the fin for the diver she is now rather than what she might want later when she gets more comfortable with different kick styles. I've learned that the hard way - buying fins for my wife based on what I'd get if I were her, rather than getting fins that suit her diving, which is different than mine.

I went back in emails to see if I could find the picture I sent Deep 6. They were so tight that I even tried changing to the cover that goes over the spring instead of the pull tab that comes on them. After a few minutes in the pool she said she couldn't do it.

Dropbox - 20180706_072443.jpg - Simplify your life

It's almost like the pocket was good, but the spring too tight...thoughts?

I wear the S/M Eddys with both wetsuit and drysuit. My wetsuit booties are 5mm DGX booties. Drysuit neoprene socks are 5mm with thick wool socks underneath and the low profile Fusion boot over.

Fins are not tight. I’ve never had to adjust the spring straps at all.

High instep heights mean taller foot pocket, not necessarily longer. Sometime the shoe simply doesn’t fit.

Also keep in mind that different color eddy's have different characteristics. I bought a blue pair that for me was horrible in the water. I have dove black ones that were fine. I normally dive Scuba Pro Jets or free diving fins depending on type of diving.

On my 6's I'm wearing the spring between the sole of the bootie and the raised hump area on the back of the heel. One of us could be using the spring sub-optimally, eh?
spring thing.JPG

I have my Mares Quattro for years. Started with open now full. Loved losing the booties but really only dive warm water now. Daughter who worked in the industry did buy spilts. She hated them and is pretty much easy to please with gear. It’s very personal. It would be great if you have friends who could trade with her for a dive.

Back
Top Bottom