Help w/Fire Department Parts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

We did talk about that. The one FD would be at least 75' to the back door where it would even be possible. The other would be 40' or so, but I don't think they would go for that....at least not until I got to know them better (or bought a few pizza's here and there).
another issue you may or may not have considered...

Do your tanks actually fit in their blast cabinet? Most are sized for 9L carbon fibers not scubas. The one FD I have used for fills (in Canada), their cabinet wouldn't fit an 8" tank. It's self service there so we just didn't use it.

NFPA is only a suggestion and I don't think they would have any authority over a company publishing their own data. NFPA is so expansive that not one single agency can be in complete compliance with it. It is more of a best practice thing and what is the standard in that area.

As a Fire Chief I consciously deviated from it many many times based on my own jurisdictions needs. With that said, talking with the FD upper level management and finding out what you could do to make it work is worth a shot. The old adage of how many cases of beer does it take is in reality all this is. They can alter the policy if it makes sense and they are getting something in return. Helping with a fundraiser if they are a combination or volunteer agency or something along those lines. They have a lot on their plate right now and it wouldn't be a good time to bring it up but down the road I would if I were in your shoes. There is always a way

I know. I just don't know them well enough. I'm sure if I volunteered there or was better friends with someone it would be different....in time maybe.

another issue you may or may not have considered...

Do your tanks actually fit in their blast cabinet? Most are sized for 9L carbon fibers not scubas. The one FD I have used for fills (in Canada), their cabinet wouldn't fit an 8" tank. It's self service there so we just didn't use it.

I need to take a tank up there and try it out. All my tanks are 7.25" and the one FD said they used to fill SCUBA inside the chamber before they changed the fittings.

NFPA is only a suggestion and I don't think they would have any authority over a company publishing their own data. NFPA is so expansive that not one single agency can be in complete compliance with it. It is more of a best practice thing and what is the standard in that area.

As a Fire Chief I consciously deviated from it many many times based on my own jurisdictions needs. With that said, talking with the FD upper level management and finding out what you could do to make it work is worth a shot. The old adage of how many cases of beer does it take is in reality all this is. They can alter the policy if it makes sense and they are getting something in return. Helping with a fundraiser if they are a combination or volunteer agency or something along those lines. They have a lot on their plate right now and it wouldn't be a good time to bring it up but down the road I would if I were in your shoes. There is always a way

Parker themselves said that the NFPA is the reason they are unable to publish the full parts list. Obviously a large company like Parker is going to try to keep their noses clean. They didn't try to hide anything, just said they can't publish it.

@rjack321 I was able to get a LP121 so 8" long bottle in the new Bauer at our VFD. There were inserts in the bottom to adjust height for different tank lengths as well.

The one FD has the adjustments at the bottom and can accomideate, they have a larger blast chamber that can actually take 2 tanks at a time.

The other is really just a cascade system and a single tank chamber, not sure about that one.

I need to take a tank up there and try it out. All my tanks are 7.25" and the one FD said they used to fill SCUBA inside the chamber before they changed the fittings.

Then you're probably fine. Assuming you can get the fitting and make an adapter that fits on the valve then in the cabinet

Of course you won't get nitrox so that's a huge minus IMHO

Then you're probably fine. Assuming you can get the fitting and make an adapter that fits on the valve then in the cabinet

Of course you won't get nitrox so that's a huge minus IMHO

My local quarry is 65' max, and where I do most of my diving (especially lately).

There are LDS around that bank nitrox, but I don't really need it. If I did I would just have to pay for it like everybody else. Heck I'll even have to pay to get air from the FD, just in food and possibly time later down the road.

Damn that would be nice! Went from ~ $100 fitting to get free air, to $1500 for a compressor though:eek::(...not enough funds in today's day and age I'm afraid...

Mate reading this thread you'll be beholding to everyone for the rest of your life

I'd rather start chiselling a comp from stone, and start printing some money too

Good luck, start saving

Mate reading this thread you'll be beholding to everyone for the rest of your life

I'd rather start chiselling a comp from stone, and start printing some money too

Good luck, start saving

Isn't that life in a lot of ways? Lol, I hear you.

I'm sure I'll get a compressor at some point, but my little ones need to grow some. I don't dive enough to warrant a compressor yet. I don't dive as much as I would like to...not yet anyway..

Back
Top Bottom