Help planning a trip to Togean, Bunaken, Banda in June/July

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

speedof1

Registered
Reaction score
My future wife and I are planning our honeymoon. We have decided to do everything in Indonesia. Our Itinerary so far looks as follows:

- Bali 6 days
- Komodo 3 or 4 days
- Fly to Makassar, maybe visit Tana Toraja from there (3 or 4 days)
- Get to Togean and spend 3 or 4 days there
- Head to Bunaken and spend another 3 or 4 days there

The question is now whether we should continue to Ambon --> Banda / Kei Islands or not. Would this be of any added value in terms of underwater life, beach / paradise vibe? My wife doesn't dive (she snorkels), so we're not coming solely for diving. Or would you skip either Togean or Bunaken?

Toraja is well worth the effort but it is a long bus ride from Makassar. However, I am not too sure if the scene is really suitable for honeymooners because part of the culture is about burial/death.

Wowowow... that's a long trip that combines many flights and different season patterns.
First off you didin't mention at what period you'd like to do this trip. Maluku (Ambon/Kei) seasons and Komodo or North Sulawesi won't match on the same months unless you go in a specific time frame in October/November.

Let's check out your itinerary :
- Bali 6 days is easy to do but with a non diver you could even spend more time.
- Komodo needs a flight from Bali but 3 days leaves you only one day diving which is much too short, Komodo is the best dive/snorkel place of your whole trip, it deserves a few days more IMO.
- Then Back to Bali and Makasar you've lost one day flying. Tana Toraja on 4 days is fine for trekking, cultural tours, I did this already, the rice fields and how you're welcomed in the villages makes it a fantastic trip, you don't need to participate to funerals and kerbau slaughter . Better take a private car, lots of local agencies propose 4-5 days private tours.
- Togean will need aditional transport/flying ferry not sure about the effort.
- Bunaken is not a beachy place, I don't take the diving up to Komodo (not even Bali if you ask me). Bangka would be much worthwhile (Murex or BlueBay have really nice beaches! Or even Coral Eye for a more intimate atmosphere.) The snorkeling and the diving are great there. Needs 5 days to get to and enjoy the diving. My advise : skip Togeans and do Bangka directly flying from Makasar to Manado.
- Now Maluku is another kind of animal. Very worthwhile but hard to travel because you change the airline hub, so you need to get to Ambon to fly around Maluku (hence fly from Manado to Makasar then Ambon if there is tsill some flight connexion). Skip the stay in Ambon, your wife will hate it UNLESS you find a way to stay on molana island, perfect dream island (but NO diving, only snorkeling).
Kei Kecil (Tual airport) has only beaches.... but what beaches!!! Pasir panjang is spectacular, probably the most beautiful in the world!!! No diving or difficult to find though, I don't know whether the operations have resumed, very little snorkeling, it's all sandy.
You forgot (or skipped) the most interesting islands in the whole country : Banda islands, it's a short flight hop or a longer fast ferry ride from Ambon, much much history, very nice walks, snorkeling and diving, best food in the whole archipelago.

I can go on and on, but you need to inform about the season you will go to check whether it's feasible.

Edit : I have read your title, you are looking for June/July hence forget Maluku, it will be raining bucketloads , high waves in Banda islands.
That will be good for Bali, Komodo and Sulawesi

+1 for Murex at Bangka, beautiful accommodation, great food and a nice snorkelling beach for your other half.

Plus the diving around there is awesome, with great guides and staff at the resort.

Lombok! Gili Air for the best mix of diving and non-diver fun. Then head down to Kuta for spectacular beaches.

Honestly... Bali, Lombok, and Komodo...you are set.

Otherwise talking about NON diving activities, the Flores crossing from Labuan Bajo to Maumere is quite interesting in terms of nature and culture (villages, mount Kelimutu).
If you want to skip Sulawesi you can continue to Alor on from Maumere, Alor divers have a very nice beach (one of the best I've seen for a dive resort), superb bungalows and fabulous diving.

Village in Bajawa :

Mount Kelimutu early morning :

Rice fields in Flores :

Wow, so many great insights already! Thanks for that. We've decided to skip Maluku / Banda for its distance and rainy season in June, July.

Regarding other possibilities - Java, Lombok, Gilis - I've done these already so they didn't make it to the shortlist. The Gilis where a bit disappointing for me back then (from a swimmer / snorkeller POV), definitely not as pretty as some of the Thai islands I did before. How would you guys rate the other options (Tongean, Bunaken, Bangka) compared to the Gilis?

Bangka seems very interesting indeed. I read in an old 2014 Lonely Planet that the Chinese started iron exploration on Bangka, which could damage the island’s ecology. Does anyone know what the current situation is?

Two other names: Siladen and Lembeh. Regarding Lembeh, Lonely Planet writes:
“The corals, beaches and above water activities are arguably better at Bunaken but Lembeh has amazing underwater variety and less visitors.” Can anyone confirm or give their opinion on this?

Another option: from Labuan Bajo not going to Sulawesi, but South to Sumba --> West Timor --> Rote. But I haven't found too much information how this compares to Sulawesi to consider it.

You are not on Lonely Planet but on a diving board, most of the members here would know better the dive conditions on those places than a Lonely Planet editor (as it happens I actually dived with a LP editor once in Vanuatu, I can say you'll find more diving knowledge down here).

First off on that particular criteria, diving Indonesia is MUCH better than diving Thailand.
There is no damage on Bangka except for new resorts opening. Bangka diving is awesome, check out my photo gallery here : UW Bangka 2009/15 - N/Sulawesi

Siladen is similar to Bunaken in terms of diving and has better beaches only the 4* star hotel Siladen resort makes a difference. Bangka is better.
Lembeh might not be your cup of tea, no nice snorkeling on a coral reef, don't even think of swimming or fine beaches : it's macroland on black sand with some trash.

Labuan Bajo has great beaches : if that is your dream, check out Angel Isle Resort on Bidadari.
Rote is a surfer island, surf doesn't go well with diving or snorkeling, plus it's a PITA to go : Kupang then small craft to Rote.
Alor is much better around check out Alor Divers Home - Alor Divers,
here's my photo gallery for underwater Alor : UW Alor 2013/22

My future wife and I are planning our honeymoon. We have decided to do everything in Indonesia. Our Itinerary so far looks as follows:

- Bali 6 days
- Komodo 3 or 4 days
- Fly to Makassar, maybe visit Tana Toraja from there (3 or 4 days)
- Get to Togean and spend 3 or 4 days there
- Head to Bunaken and spend another 3 or 4 days there

The question is now whether we should continue to Ambon --> Banda / Kei Islands or not. Would this be of any added value in terms of underwater life, beach / paradise vibe? My wife doesn't dive (she snorkels), so we're not coming solely for diving. Or would you skip either Togean or Bunaken?

Umh… al lot of flights and shorts stays in some locations with poor connections.. good luck.. 😅
luko has already said almost everything.. but I can add something about the togeans... it was a pain in the ass before the covid and now it will be even worse.. non-daily flights that if you lose your luggage you will see it again that you have already left the togeans .. fast boats faults and obligation to ferry .. a tragedy that can go well if you are a backpacker and stay a month ..
For me your schedule is too tight...but it's my opinion...many places you mentioned deserve much more days..
NB: I would never take a snorkeler to lembeh...unless you want to divorce right away..😜😜🤣

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom