Best value diving in Indonesia

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dive / snorkel with whale sharks off Saleh Bay in Sumbawa,

Thank you for the tip, Dan: thanks to you we were able to see 3 whale sharks today :). Also many jellyfish, ouch :D

Even though the experience was very good, I am rather worried the place is turning to another Oslob. it is hard to judge: they go to the bagans, which might be seen as an adaptation to a new opportunity: and people wont stop fishing there, so there is nothing to do about that. But they also feed them after they take out the net, to keep them there for tourists after the sunrise. When they stop the feeding, the sharks swim away, naturally...

But also, now even the 4 day trip Lombok Labuan Bajo stops here, so it is many dozens if not hundred people in water with 1 or 4 sharks. I do not think this is so healthy for the sharks and there can be no control over touching etc. in this count. We were lucky, as they arrived yesterday and today it was just two boats with about 10 snorkelers in total from Labuan Jambu, later joined by 4ish divers. But I also got hit by a whaleshark even in a small count. From the back - coward! Still feel a bit guilty about that.

But I also got hit by a whaleshark even in a small count. From the back - coward! Still feel a bit guilty about that.

I’m glad to hear that you’re able to swim with Whalesharks. Those gentle giants won’t whack you with their tail fins. Before they touch you, you’ll be pushed by the water column between you and their tail fins and even if their fail fins touch you, if feel like you are being slowly pushed by a giant styrofoam board.

I’ve been diving with them in several Bagans in Indonesia (Cendrawasih Bay, Tali Sayang & Saleh Bay). Those Whalesharks are very gentle.

Thank you for the tip, Dan: thanks to you we were able to see 3 whale sharks today :). Also many jellyfish, ouch :D

Even though the experience was very good, I am rather worried the place is turning to another Oslob. it is hard to judge: they go to the bagans, which might be seen as an adaptation to a new opportunity: and people wont stop fishing there, so there is nothing to do about that. But they also feed them after they take out the net, to keep them there for tourists after the sunrise. When they stop the feeding, the sharks swim away, naturally...

But also, now even the 4 day trip Lombok Labuan Bajo stops here, so it is many dozens if not hundred people in water with 1 or 4 sharks. I do not think this is so healthy for the sharks and there can be no control over touching etc. in this count. We were lucky, as they arrived yesterday and today it was just two boats with about 10 snorkelers in total from Labuan Jambu, later joined by 4ish divers. But I also got hit by a whaleshark even in a small count. From the back - coward! Still feel a bit guilty about that.
What a shame.. to hear that there are so many people now. I guess that is the advantage to Cenderawasih and Triton. Not enough boats can get there to cause that problem.

My sister in law does that Lombok - Labuan Bajo cruise and they swam with them today; I guess we were quite lucky to catch the blind window. I think some kind of regulation, such as allowing only local boats and divers, should take place. But I doubt it will...

I asked her how it went, there were about 60-80 people, but they took turns (by 10 mins or so) spending about an hour there. Get in, take a picture, get out. But they were told not to touch etc., at least.
Now we made it to Bali and there are posters here luring people to go to a tour to Sumbawa to swim with whale sharks. I guess it is becoming a thing... :/

That Whaleshark in Saleh Bay was just started operating in July last year. My group was one of the early visitor there. We’re going back there again in August. Not looking forward to the crowds. Plan to be there very early around 6am.

That Whaleshark in Saleh Bay was just started operating in July last year. My group was one of the early visitor there.
I don't know whether it's the operation who told you that but last year was no pioneering at all for Saleh bay : it was open at least one or two years before. You can find reports on the Internet on Whale sharks tours in Sumbawa from 2021, since Indonesia reopened to tourism.

I remember I was in Bali in July-August last year and even the tourist guides in Ubud were already touting with flyers for whaleshark tours in Sumbawa, I was thinking to myself I wouldn't give 2 years before it becomes like Oslob. I guess it's already that kind of circus likewise Lila in Bohol the newest Whaleshark watching operation in the SEA area : it took only 6 months, mass tourism goes fast.

I don't know whether it's the operation who told you that but last year was no pioneering at all for Saleh bay : it was open at least one or two years before. You can find reports on the Internet on Whale sharks tours in Sumbawa from 2021, since Indonesia reopened to tourism.

I remember I was in Bali in July-August last year and even the tourist guides in Ubud were already touting with flyers for whaleshark tours in Sumbawa, I was thinking to myself I wouldn't give 2 years before it becomes like Oslob. I guess it's already that kind of circus likewise Lila in Bohol the newest Whaleshark watching operation in the SEA area : it took only 6 months, mass tourism goes fast.

Thanks for correcting me. I was misinformed by the guide then. Kind of made sense at the time as Bali was just opened for International tourism in March 2022.

However, domestic tourism may have opened earlier than 2022.

At the time there were only 4 of us and another boat of 5 snorkellers, as shown in my video posted upthread.

Reactions: Dan

Back
Top Bottom