Question Land-based diving suggestions for a long stay in Indonesia (March onwards) other than Komodo/Raja4

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

afieldofblue

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hello all,

We’re a couple of dive instructors who recently hopped back to Indonesia from working in Palau, for what we hope will be long holidays (6 months max - we haven't had proper downtime in years...).

We’ve dived in quite a few places in Indonesia as fun divers and also worked in Komodo / Central Raja4 in the past, but haven’t been back since the pandemic broke out.

Currently based in Bali, we’re waiting for the rainy season to ease up a little before going on some dive trips around the country.
We’re well aware that we’re currently in a less-than-ideal shoulder season for diving in most areas, but since we’re staying around for a bit, we hope to catch good conditions sometimes during our stay (even though everything seems off weatherwise everywhere these days, so not raising our hopes too high..).

We’re planning on doing some shore diving trips to Amed/Tulamben (plan is to stay a week or so at a time), but a little worried about the pouring rain and storms we're getting currently.
Doesn’t look good from Sanur anyway.

Otherwise we’re interested in checking out some of Indonesia's many diving areas, especially those we’ve never been able to reach for lack of time and seasonal issues.

Ideally, we would love to go to Misool / South Raja Ampat (never been, and we know it's the season...), but it’s a little out of our reach financially, as are most proper liveaboards trips – yes, we could splurge on a lob, but would be spending a big chunk of instructor-savings diving budget for a single trip, which is not what we’re after at the moment, which is why we're thinking land-based only.

As much as we love these places, we’re not super keen to go back to central Raja or Komodo, and would rather see somewhere different (and also we haven't dived as fun divers for a while, so would rather dive sites we don't know as guides).

Overall, we’ve already dived Bangka, Bunaken, Bira, Gilis, Togians, Lembongan/Penida, Pulau Weh, Komodo and Central R4.

As tempting as it is we’re not super excited by Lembeh, as we think we can get enough of a macro-fix in Amed/Tulamben.

On our list of places we’d like to check out are:

• Alor – this is the highest on our list
  • Maluku Halmahera / Bandas

Some places that have also caught our interest are Sangalaki, Sumbawa to dive west Komodo. Tomia / Wakatobi area in Sulawesi (seems hard to reach for beautiful coral with mostly macro, though), Belongas in Lombok (but is it just the Magnet?).
We were planning on checking out Timor Leste, but will be staying in Indonesia for visa purposes.

Diving-wise, we both like a bit of everything, but our favorite remains Indonesia’s beautiful reefs and abundant fish life, fish schools, behaviour and current/action.
We have all our gear, speak Indonesian and not afraid of remote travels - that said, we're not a great fan of dodgy ferry-rides after a few borderline experiences in the past (but understand there's no way around it in quite a few places...)

I realise this is a little broad, but any fresh tips and suggestions would very welcome!

Also would love some feedback on current sea/weather/diving conditions from people currently in forementioned places, that would really help with planning!

Cheers!

Ben

I love hearing like minded people say they love current and action! We love it too! If I were you I would reach out to LOBs and see if you can get on any last minute trips. I know so many boats and trip leaders are trying to fill spots right now and there are always last minute cancelations. There are deals to be had! If not the LOB then check out the homestays, I think there are some good recommendations on this forum. From the sounds of it the viz is finally clearing up in Misool so it would be worth going now. We had really crappy conditions for most of last year! We are looking forward to heading back to Raja for a trip to Halmahera then to Lembeh in a couple weeks. Don't miss Alor! Bandas are amazing but best season is later in the year. Personally I would skip Wakatobi if I were you!

Side note: Tulamben is great for macro (esp. Nudis) but I think you get more cephalopods and Hairy Frogfish in Lembeh.

Replied to your PM.
in a nutshell :
Feb-Apr great season for backpacking through Maluku : Ambon (don't forget to purchase a kilo of gandaria before it's too late); Lease islands (Saparua/Molana), Banda islands, ... that's where bahasa is useful!
Wait until at least April for Alor (October even better).
Sumbawa not until August.

Hello all,

We’re a couple of dive instructors who recently hopped back to Indonesia from working in Palau, for what we hope will be long holidays (6 months max - we haven't had proper downtime in years...).

We’ve dived in quite a few places in Indonesia as fun divers and also worked in Komodo / Central Raja4 in the past, but haven’t been back since the pandemic broke out.

Currently based in Bali, we’re waiting for the rainy season to ease up a little before going on some dive trips around the country.
We’re well aware that we’re currently in a less-than-ideal shoulder season for diving in most areas, but since we’re staying around for a bit, we hope to catch good conditions sometimes during our stay (even though everything seems off weatherwise everywhere these days, so not raising our hopes too high..).

We’re planning on doing some shore diving trips to Amed/Tulamben (plan is to stay a week or so at a time), but a little worried about the pouring rain and storms we're getting currently.
Doesn’t look good from Sanur anyway.

Otherwise we’re interested in checking out some of Indonesia's many diving areas, especially those we’ve never been able to reach for lack of time and seasonal issues.

Ideally, we would love to go to Misool / South Raja Ampat (never been, and we know it's the season...), but it’s a little out of our reach financially, as are most proper liveaboards trips – yes, we could splurge on a lob, but would be spending a big chunk of instructor-savings diving budget for a single trip, which is not what we’re after at the moment, which is why we're thinking land-based only.

As much as we love these places, we’re not super keen to go back to central Raja or Komodo, and would rather see somewhere different (and also we haven't dived as fun divers for a while, so would rather dive sites we don't know as guides).

Overall, we’ve already dived Bangka, Bunaken, Bira, Gilis, Togians, Lembongan/Penida, Pulau Weh, Komodo and Central R4.

As tempting as it is we’re not super excited by Lembeh, as we think we can get enough of a macro-fix in Amed/Tulamben.

On our list of places we’d like to check out are:

• Alor – this is the highest on our list
  • Maluku Halmahera / Bandas

Some places that have also caught our interest are Sangalaki, Sumbawa to dive west Komodo. Tomia / Wakatobi area in Sulawesi (seems hard to reach for beautiful coral with mostly macro, though), Belongas in Lombok (but is it just the Magnet?).
We were planning on checking out Timor Leste, but will be staying in Indonesia for visa purposes.

Diving-wise, we both like a bit of everything, but our favorite remains Indonesia’s beautiful reefs and abundant fish life, fish schools, behaviour and current/action.
We have all our gear, speak Indonesian and not afraid of remote travels - that said, we're not a great fan of dodgy ferry-rides after a few borderline experiences in the past (but understand there's no way around it in quite a few places...)

I realise this is a little broad, but any fresh tips and suggestions would very welcome!

Also would love some feedback on current sea/weather/diving conditions from people currently in forementioned places, that would really help with planning!

Cheers!

Ben
100% do Alor and I would go for 2 weeks. Stay with Alor Divers. They are opening in mid March since they close for monsoon season. You could easily just dive wide angle for 2 weeks and add in additional time for muck if you wanted. About $1600 USD for a week and that includes 2 boat dives a day and unlimited house reef time. Nitrox is available a la carte per tank. The reason they only do 2 boat dives a day is because they have no time limits on diving so you can do 2 90-100 minute dives by boat a day which is what we did plus however other many ones you want to do on the house reef (unlimited). It would fit your budget and concerns but also provide you the abundant fish like, schools of fish, and great coral. It's one of my top favorites in Indonesia alongside Raja Ampat and Komodo.

I've dived Banda by liveaboard and it's not cheap by any means due to the lengths of trip and distance traveled. Is it good diving? It was nice, but I would not go back given the price and the value proposition. I'd still go to Alor even if it were 2X the price +++ that it is.

Have you looked into homestays in Misool? That might be a way to save some $ and still get to dive Misool.

I love hearing like minded people say they love current and action! We love it too! If I were you I would reach out to LOBs and see if you can get on any last minute trips. I know so many boats and trip leaders are trying to fill spots right now and there are always last minute cancelations. There are deals to be had! If not the LOB then check out the homestays, I think there are some good recommendations on this forum. From the sounds of it the viz is finally clearing up in Misool so it would be worth going now. We had really crappy conditions for most of last year! We are looking forward to heading back to Raja for a trip to Halmahera then to Lembeh in a couple weeks. Don't miss Alor! Bandas are amazing but best season is later in the year. Personally I would skip Wakatobi if I were you!

Side note: Tulamben is great for macro (esp. Nudis) but I think you get more cephalopods and Hairy Frogfish in Lembeh.

Thanks - We will definitely go to Alor. we're kind of still weighing things out, but a liveaboard for two people, even with a last minute discount, it's still a lot to spend on one single trip, especially since conditions are apparently still quite iffy...
Regarding homestays in Misool, i need to look into this bit more. I remember reading about one opening up, but this was probably around 2017.
From what I understood the Misool Eco created the MPA, liveaboards have to radio-in to access the sites, so not sure how homestay operations would fit in the picture. Do they dive around the MPA or actually have access to Magic Mountain etc?

Replied to your PM.
in a nutshell :
Feb-Apr great season for backpacking through Maluku : Ambon (don't forget to purchase a kilo of gandaria before it's too late); Lease islands (Saparua/Molana), Banda islands, ... that's where bahasa is useful!
Wait until at least April for Alor (October even better).
Sumbawa not until August.

cheers - sounds good. looks like we might be going up from some landbased sightseeing in Maluku / Ambon / Bandas, and maybe doing a little diving there on the side, while also planning a 2 or 3 of dive-focused trips lugging the gear and all, most likely Alor and somewhere else.

100% do Alor and I would go for 2 weeks. (...) It would fit your budget and concerns but also provide you the abundant fish like, schools of fish, and great coral. It's one of my top favorites in Indonesia alongside Raja Ampat and Komodo.

I've dived Banda by liveaboard and it's not cheap by any means due to the lengths of trip and distance traveled. Is it good diving? It was nice, but I would not go back given the price and the value proposition. I'd still go to Alor even if it were 2X the price +++ that it is.

Have you looked into homestays in Misool? That might be a way to save some $ and still get to dive Misool.

Thanks - yes, Alor was already our main focus, and we'll definitely go when conditions improve.

I'll dig around for homestays in Misool, but as mentioned above, how would this work?
Does the Misool Eco Resort allow local land-based ops to access the sites in their MPA?
cheers

One place that has not been mentioned is Maratua. I have never seen so huge schooling barracudas, literally thousands, in my 18 years of diving around the world. Take advantage of it while you’re in Indonesia.

Thanks Dan - I was actually considering Derawan / Sangalaki / Maratua as well.

Nice vid, really cool, big school indeed. That said, we also had really big resident schools of blackfin / chevron barracudas when we were working on the Andaman sea (eg 1 or 2 , could get bigger), and Borneo seems a long way for that (with a risk that it's been partially fished-out during lockdown, I imagine?)

Other than these how's the rest of the diving in the Derawan area?
I've watched a few clips like Nu's here or scubazoo's but it's hard to get a feeling for it, as these logically focus mostly on the local big 3, baracudas, whalesharks and mantas.

Overall, I'd say we're less interested specific highlights like a big resident school, whalesharks and mantas - it's always great to see them, but not something would be the main motivation for a dive trip.
It's one of the reasons we're also not super keen on another regional hotspot like Sipadan in neighbouring Malaysia (even though we love turtles, barracudas and sharks).

Reactions: Dan
Hello all,

We’re a couple of dive instructors who recently hopped back to Indonesia from working in Palau, for what we hope will be long holidays (6 months max - we haven't had proper downtime in years...). I realise this is a little broad, but any fresh tips and suggestions would very welcome!
Also would love some feedback on current sea/weather/diving conditions from people currently in forementioned places, that would really help with planning! Cheers!

Ben

Hi Ben. If you want to do some different sort of diving then check our Wild Scuba Indonesia in Lombok. Run by Jay Catheral
It's called wild scuba for a reason. Fantastic dives and strong currents and reefs only this dive op goes to. Not for the feint hearted lol

One DMT in our group panicked on the first dive and never did any further dives. He thought he was an experienced current diver.
My buddy and I will be back again to do 7 diving days with Jay again this year. We stayed at Silver Ferns Resort run by some expats, very nice place and very cheap. I also speak Indo so getting out to the local warungs for some delicious food was great.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom