Komodo LOB + Raja Ampat - suggestions invited

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'd be interested to see WA shots taken with a MWL-1.
Took forever but here it is - all WA shots are w 28-60mm + MWL-1
Bali: Bali (Aug 2022)
Komodo: Komodo (Aug/Sep 2022)

I also tried it with the 90mm macro but it wasn't so fun. Everything has a strange stretched out/zoomed in look. I gave up on it with the 90. Like this:

With the 28-60 I also used the MWL double flip w a macro diopter and I think it was pretty decent! Like going from this at Shotgun:

To this:

I would be interested in your take on MWL-1 vs WWL-1 for the WA ones! My roommate on the Philippines Siren was shooting with a Kraken 09S and I found myself wishing I had one when they told us it was a macro dive but there were so many nice WA opportunities, and vice versa. Coincidentally there was a used MWL-1 for sale on wetpixel and I figured let's give it a try.

I took the WWL-1 again on this last trip to Sipadan to compare and personally found myself missing the wider field of view and flexibility of the MWL-1, despite being able to shoot at much lower ISO and wider aperture. I did have a harder time w backscatter and lighting w the MWL-1 tho.

Thanks for showing your images with the MWL1. I left some comments on your Flickr galleries.

I also tried it with the 90mm macro but it wasn't so fun. Everything has a strange stretched out/zoomed in look
Yes the corners are awful, those addon lenses are built for specific lenses, they won't work or not as well as they are built for with other random lenses.

I checked the Nauticam port chart. I understand you have a SONY A7C with a 28-60 zoom lens that fits a WWL1 in the port chart while Nauticam says MWL1 was conceived for the 28-70 lens.
I would be interested in your take on MWL-1 vs WWL-1 for the WA ones!
I focused especially on the corners quality. In fact I am quite surprized with the quality of the MWL1 fitted on a zoom that is not supposed to be optimal with this add on.
Some of your WA images taken in Komodo are really nice. There is quite some chromatic aberration,, not so much more than pictures taken with a fisheye, but I guess you could remove them with LR processing.

I don't see the ones taken with a WWL1.
I did have a harder time w backscatter and lighting w the MWL-1 tho.

Yes, I have seen that particularly in your Padang Bai album. You probably don't put your strobes back enough from the dome. They really need to be at your ears level and slightly outwards when the water is not so clear.

Thanks for showing your images with the MWL1. I left some comments on your Flickr galleries.

Yes the corners are awful, those addon lenses are built for specific lenses, they won't work or not as well as they are built for with other random lenses.

I checked the Nauticam port chart. I understand you have a SONY A7C with a 28-60 zoom lens that fits a WWL1 in the port chart while Nauticam says MWL1 was conceived for the 28-70 lens.

I focused especially on the corners quality. In fact I am quite surprized with the quality of the MWL1 fitted on a zoom that is not supposed to be optimal with this add on.
Some of your WA images taken in Komodo are really nice. There is quite some chromatic aberration,, not so much more than pictures taken with a fisheye, but I guess you could remove them with LR processing.

I don't see the ones taken with a WWL1.

Yes, I have seen that particularly in your Padang Bai album. You probably don't put your strobes back enough from the dome. They really need to be at your ears level and slightly outwards when the water is not so clear.
Thanks Luko!
Yeah my first few dives in Bali took some adjustment on strobe placement vs what I was used to w the WWL-1 (since I know you love Indo Bangka WA ones here are all w WWL-1 https://www.flickr.com/photos/184457560@N06/albums/721777203013387690).
My brain was also in shock after rolling back into 24 degree waters at Manta Point on the first dive, so cold (and I was in drysuit!)
Think I should sell my WWL-1 and put that towards a week in Tulamben? It's so big and heavy that I have never once tried to remove it underwater to flex to shooting the native zoom or w macro diopter, for fear of dropping it.

Think I should sell my WWL-1
I looked at your Bangka shots with WWL1 the corners quality are VERY good, even better than the MWL1 without any chromatic aberration, probably because you fit the zoom lens recommended on the Nauticam port chart.
I also think you should swap 28-60 to 28-70 in the meantime if you are looking to match the best quality with the MWL1, since it is the zoom Nauticam recommands for the MWL1.

To the OP: Did you end up with a final plan for your trip? For those of us who have never been to this side of the diving world, it would be interesting to see what you've come up with.

Hello all, appreciate your suggestions to help me optimize plans for a 4 week trip leaving US in mid/late November or early December.

Thanks in advance for your comments & suggestions. Have a great week.

Don't know if its too late, but we did a Bali-Komodo-Bali itinerary aboard Mermaid II and recommend it! It was everything we wanted, and more.

Went up to Misool for 9 days after that, it was spectacular!

@jjmochi what did you end up doing with your wet lens and lens options?

WWL-1 is supposedly best with 28-60mm. Sony’s 90mm macro is usually best on its own or with an SMC wet (not CMC because the corners go!) I have also seen success with others using the MWL using a 60mm or a 28-70 as @Luko pointed out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom