Help! I'm freak'n out! (Bonaire Power Conversion)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

newfennediver:
ELECTRICITY
Rarely is there a power failure and the island has decided to adopt the North American voltage standard of 110 A.C. (60 cycles), the same as in the United States and Canada.

Any word on when that might happen? Also I think that site is talking about Aruba, but I would think that if A and C (from the ABC islands) adopt 110/60 that Bonaire wouldn't be far behind...

PS to this thread -

Any other packing tips you might have, please let me know... My checked bag is hitting around 45lbs right now and there is PLENTY more room in it. Unfortunatly my bag is a hard sided bag with heavy duty rollers, and weights around 15-20lbs all on it's own. My wife's checked bag is more like a big duffle bag that has rollers attached and doesn't weight hardly anything at all. We can stuff more crud in there, but it's not hard sided, so there is more risk of breakage.

The real kicker, is that we are taking a LOT less stuff with us then our trip to Maui last year (same bags) and it seems as though we got more stuff that bag last year. The only differance this year is a 3mil full suit instead of just a 3mil shorty, but it doesn't weight that much!

I'm thinking about moving all the battiers from the hard side case to the duffle style one. Maybe it's just a matter of packing them over and over again until I get it right?

newfemmediver:
ELECTRICITY
Rarely is there a power failure and the island has decided to adopt the North American voltage standard of 110 A.C. (60 cycles), the same as in the United States and Canada. http://www.aruba.com/pages/waterelectricity.htm
Any word on when that might happen? Also I think that site is talking about Aruba, but I would think that if A and C (from the ABC islands) adopt 110/60 that Bonaire wouldn't be far behind...
As pointed out above, that's Aruba not Bonaire. Don't assume that Bonaire and Curacao will ever follow suit. Bonaire's power infrastructure is spotty - the power plant caught fire a couple years ago leading to brownouts for some time afterward - so I doubt they have the financial resources to change over now. Also Bonaire is going back under Dutch protectorate rule sometime soon so why would they adopt American standards.

rottielover:
PS to this thread - My wife's checked bag is more like a big duffle bag that has rollers attached and doesn't weight hardly anything at all. We can stuff more crud in there, but it's not hard sided, so there is more risk of breakage.
fwiw, I took all my stuff to Bonaire and back in a back like that with no damage. Thru San Juan also. Just carry-on regs, camera, computer and masks and wrap anything else breakable in one of those wetsuits you're bringing...

Back
Top Bottom