Bonaire, Mar 14 - 21. Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The key to exiting the water is to take your fins off in waist to chest high water, otherwise you are going to have a very bad day (see link) if you are too shallow. We clip off our fins with a length of one inch webbing thru the heel straps with a quick connect (attached to an upper d-ring to mitigate wave action), so hands are free for cameras, gear, hand holds or support. Your reg should remain in your mouth until you’re on shore.

Leave your freediving fins at home. Speaking from experience, full foot fins are a PITA for shore diving Bonaire. We occasionally use a PVC “cane” at the shore (hat tip @AdivingBel). Very rigid, supports your weight and no investment. I was struggling to get my seashore legs exiting Andrea 2 when diving with @drrich2, so he handed me his trekking pole. I put some weight on it and it began collapsing just as he was telling it’s only for balance. Oops. Enjoy your trip!

Just landed in Bonaire

The tip on removing fins seems like it would be obvious to anyone. Your story in that other thread of the new divers trying to get theirs off in a foot of water was pretty hilarious!

Yep, I am definitely leaving my freediving fins at home this time. :D And I got a trekking pole to take. We'll see how that works out...

If you do happen to get hit with a wave, lose balance, slip or fall when exiting just move back out to deeper water. Then it’s easy to regain your footing and go again.

I'll be at Buddy Dive Mar 16-30. I'll look for you.

It is actually 127V, 50Hz. Most adapters for your laptop, chargers, etc are fine with that. The 50Hz may make some appliances (like hair dryers) run more slowly, and thus hotter. Outside of Buddy dive (which has its own diesel generators for its on-site electricity) you can probably use a surge protector to advantage.

USD are the local currency. CC (not AMEX) are widely accepted, but not at food trucks.

They are OK, but STINAPA asks that you stow tem after entry and not use them in any way while doing yoru dive. There are a few easy-entry sites, a number of forget-it sites, and a lot in-between.

The little book, Bonaire Shore Diving Made Easy (called BSDME), 7th edition, by Susan Porter, is probably the best guide for shore diving, entries, logistics, etc.

Use Travel Tips for general FAQs.

Please take a few boat dives. There are inaccessible-to-shore-diving sites on Klein and to the north that are fabulous.

Have fun!
JustUs Divers will be at Buddy March 12 - 26. Yippeee!!!

Bring surge protected strips. One of the first things I pack. Never enough outlets. Unplug things after they charge or when not in use.

I'm not tech, but talk to the tech guys at Buddy for the latest what when where. We ended up there during Tech week in Oct and I was in awe. The guest speakers & presenters they had, all the gear, amazing. Their tech guys love to talk tech! (No interest in that, too much work, I wanna fall in water, watch my air and time and take pictures, not much more) but I did test dive a travel BP wing which I loved.

Agree - do some boat diving. Some of the Northern sites are trippy (not sure what Karel was doing when he had his Vision), you can't get to Klein any other way and those are some of my favorite sites. I like 1000 steps by boat - bad knees, arthritic hip, broke the ankle in 3 places last year (not diving).

Lock up/hide anything everywhere. Many crimes are those of opportunity. If your room key comes with a little fob that say EDEN BEACH ROOM XXX ditch that and put your key on something else. Couple people have lost keys and had the room burgled because they made it easy. Don't leave dive gear out to dry when you go out, especially over night. Locker it or bring it in. Small things - lights, safety sausages, computers - easy to slip in a pocket as one strolls by.

JustUs Divers will be at Buddy March 12 - 26. Yippeee!!!

Bring surge protected strips. One of the first things I pack. Never enough outlets. Unplug things after they charge or when not in use.

I'm not tech, but talk to the tech guys at Buddy for the latest what when where. We ended up there during Tech week in Oct and I was in awe. The guest speakers & presenters they had, all the gear, amazing. Their tech guys love to talk tech! (No interest in that, too much work, I wanna fall in water, watch my air and time and take pictures, not much more) but I did test dive a travel BP wing which I loved.

Agree - do some boat diving. Some of the Northern sites are trippy (not sure what Karel was doing when he had his Vision), you can't get to Klein any other way and those are some of my favorite sites. I like 1000 steps by boat - bad knees, arthritic hip, broke the ankle in 3 places last year (not diving).

Lock up/hide anything everywhere. Many crimes are those of opportunity. If your room key comes with a little fob that say EDEN BEACH ROOM XXX ditch that and put your key on something else. Couple people have lost keys and had the room burgled because they made it easy. Don't leave dive gear out to dry when you go out, especially over night. Locker it or bring it in. Small things - lights, safety sausages, computers - easy to slip in a pocket as one strolls by.

So basically Coz is like Baltimore without as much gun fire and better weather?

No, the diving in Baltimore sucks.
Yes, but you could arm a small militia with what you could pull out of the inner harbor alone.

Yes, but you could arm a small militia with what you could pull out of the inner harbor alone.
I went diving in the bay just south of Annapolis 2 weeks ago.. viz was sh!t, dark below 25'. @ 60'+ my flashlight didn't even do any good because of the backscatter:D.... can't imagine what the harbor would be like... yuck

I went diving in the bay just south of Annapolis 2 weeks ago.. viz was sh!t, dark below 25'. @ 60+ my flashlight didn't even do any good because of the backscatter:D.... can't imagine what the harbor would be like... yuck
The visibility was so bad...I could see behind me.

Stuart,

I'd recommend a power strip but nothing else should be needed for electronics. We were over at Divi more near "downtown" and that was sufficient. For the trekking pole, I don't think it's necessary but to each their own. After the trip can you post something talking about what gear you rented/brought and how the not staying at buddy dive CCR support is? We are eyeing a similar trip to build rEvo hours, been busy trying to finish an instructor course though. Are you doing sorb through buddy or shipping some in advance?

Stuart,

I'd recommend a power strip but nothing else should be needed for electronics. We were over at Divi more near "downtown" and that was sufficient. For the trekking pole, I don't think it's necessary but to each their own. After the trip can you post something talking about what gear you rented/brought and how the not staying at buddy dive CCR support is? We are eyeing a similar trip to build rEvo hours, been busy trying to finish an instructor course though. Are you doing sorb through buddy or shipping some in advance?

I got back from the trip last Monday. I did bring a couple of power strips. I only used one. Not sure if it was necessary or not, other than needing a number of outlets for various chargers.

I took all my own gear, except for cylinders and sorb. That included all my own BO regs and rigging for 3 x AL80 BO cylinders. I have the rEvo travel fixations for tanks, which I used. The cylinders provided by Buddy did not have any fixations on them and I did not ask if they had rEvo fixations available there. I suspect they do not. The 40s they provided for BO had rigging on them (standard BM OC-style - not SM-style). Some of the 80s they provided had the same style of rigging on them. 2 of the 80s did not, which was fine, as I preferred to put my own on anyway, as mine is SM-style. On my deep dive, the 3rd 80 they provided for me did have rigging, which I took off and replaced with my own.

I did take 2 trekking poles. I never used them. But, I did crash and burn 3 different times trying to get in or out. Each time, I had my rEvo on my back, an AL40 clipped on for bail out, my fins either clipped on or in my hand, and my camera rig (which is big and heavy). I probably should have put more effort into figuring out how to carry and use a trekking pole, but it just seemed like too much to deal with, with all the other stuff. And with generally diving solo when carrying my camera. By the end of the week, I had broken 3 fiber optic cables, but fortunately nothing worse.

Also by the end of the week, I quit carrying my camera in on shore dives. We had boat dives booked for every afternoon, so I was only taking the camera in for those, the last 2 or 3 days. Which was fine, as I didn't really see much that I wanted to shoot anyway. The reef was beautiful, but some dives there were very few fish at all. Others, there were lots of tropical fish, but those aren't really my "thing" for photography. I never saw any sharks, no octopi, no nudibranchs, no seahorses, no stingrays or eagle rays. I saw 2 small turtles and 1 green moray eel. I did see a manta ray, but it was going by at a distance too far to get any good photos.

We tried to arrange to dive the Windjammer wreck, but ended up being told we could only dive it on Saturday and only from a boat, and that it would cost $220 per diver. I passed on that, as did everyone, in the end. We did one dive on the Hilma Hooker. I swam out with my camera. When the hull came into view, I started prepping my camera to shoot and immediately noticed that the leak detector was flashing yellow, so I turned around and got out without actually really seeing the wreck. Which reminds of one of the frustrating parts of diving in Bonaire. I would have gotten out, locked my camera in my vehicle, and gotten back in to do the dive without the camera. But, I couldn't because of the theft issues in Bonaire. I would have rented one of those Ultimate Dive Trucks, if one were available. That would have made things a LOT more convenient. Then I think I could have locked my camera away while diving. Fortunately, my camera did not actually flood. I think what happened was I prepped it in my room, where I had the AC set as cold as it would go. I suspect that when I got in the water, it was warm enough to warm the air inside the housing enough that the vacuum pressure inside reduced just enough to set off the leak detector.

We stayed at Eden Beach Resort, which was something like 0.4 miles from Buddy Dive Resort. My thoughts on using Buddy for CCR support can be summarized very simply: Were I to go again and take my CCR, I would use Technical Diving Services for CCR support. TDS is located at Captain Don's Habitat, which is the next property to the north from Buddy Dive (i.e. right next door). I did not get pricing from TDS, so I should say that I would use them assuming pricing was reasonably close.

Back
Top Bottom