Bonaire, Mar 14 - 21. Questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You used the term "back finning" there and in your trip report. I have finally figured out that you do not mean back finning as I use the term. You do NOT mean being in normal, horizontal (belly down) trim, and using your fins to go in reverse. You mean, being on the surface, laying back and flutter kicking, yes?
Yes. I'm facing shore, leaning back and kicking to get out to the reef drop off (or close to it).
Doing the route of swimming one direction for 30-45, then back for 60-90, then back again for 30-45 was (in my mind) a way to never get TOO far from my entry point. But, swimming 60-90 in one direction first would maybe be a way to see things that divers don't normally get to?
In some areas, dive sites are immediately adjacent. For example, as you head south, Hilma Hooker, Angel City, Alice in Wonderland. Let's stay you start at the Hilma Hooker site, and go way south, turn and come back. So...did you dive all 3 sites? To some people it wouldn't matter; others might like to think they'd spent the dive exploring one (artificially categorized) named patch of reef.
When you start your dives, you swim on your back away from shore because...? To save gas and not burn it while swimming out across shallow sand? I was thinking that I would normally submerge as soon as it's deep enough and then swim out on the bottom (as gas is not really a concern when I'm on CCR).
To save gas at the outset. While some sites are close to the wall (e.g.: Oil Slick Leap up north), many sites (such as to the south) have substantial swim outs to the reef wall drop off (you may be looking at 300 - 500 feet). That sandy patch isn't all barren - I saw bone fish, sand tilefish, small green sea turtles, in the past I've seen southern stingrays, etc...

But...I'm a gradually improving air hog of some years who's historically had to deliberately pause breathing and use pretty much every cheat I could think of (e.g.: I still orally inflate my BCD pre-dive rather than do it via low pressure inflator) to maximize my gas supply.

But I fin back in underwater, not at the top. How much air/nitrox I'm saving and whether it's worthwhile is debatable. But hey, all that extra exercise helps burn off some of those double cheeseburgers from the food trucks...

John (owner of my shop) did setup a boat diving package as part of our deal. I believe the package is for 6 boat dives, so 1 every day. Sounds like it could possibly actually be more boat dives than we'll end up wanting, but that's okay. That package price was still very reasonable.
Boat-only sites to the north are Carel's Vision (north of Karpata), La Dania's Leap, Rappel, Bloodlet, country Garden, Bon Bine na Kas, Barkadera, Small Wall. All of Klein, of course. i prefer the Hilma Hooker as a boat dive becasue the entry is wicked, and you get more time on the wreck and the reef beside it.
I am very glad to hear that they have coverage on their usual international day pass deal. I'm fine with $10/day for that, used as needed. Do you happen to know what kind of Internet speeds you were able to get via your phone? Or did you notice if they have 4G or 5G coverage?
I have T-Mobile and there is no up-charge for 2G data, which is fine. Streaming is tough.

Question that will probably sound stupid to Bonaire regulars: I see that Klein is 1/2 a mile away, directly across from Eden Beach. I was considering to rent a scooter maybe for a day or two. Is it feasible to scooter across the channel there and get over to Klein that way? How deep does it get in that channel?
This may be possible, but is NOT considered to be a good idea. If you have to surface, your are in a boat channel where nobody is expecting you. The depth mid-channel is maybe 400 ft; I forget. And if you mention doing this at Buddy Dive, they might stop helping you! They had a CCR death a few years ago from someone solo swimming straight out from the reef and not getting back.
Probably really a moot question. My first time in Bonaire, I will probably stick to the "normal" dives and dive sites - other than hoping to get in mostly long (2 - 3 hours?) dives, since I'll be on my CCR.

Maybe get in, swim 30 - 45 minutes one way, turn around and swim 60 - 90 minutes back the other way, then turn around again and swim 30-45 minutes to get back to where I started? Or, just swim 60-90 minutes one way, then turn around and swim back? I don't know. I guess I'll figure that out when I get there and talk to the local dive operators we're working with.
Another thing you might consider, so as not to bore your OC colleagues, is to enter at one site and exit at a different one. You'd swim between them, they would drive and do their SI. You'd want to use your local dive guides to help you pick the sites.

Bonaire is not about lots of swimming, by the way; the slower you go, the more you see.

One deep, technical dive you might want to consider is the Windjammer, at 180-210 ft, way up north near the oil tanks. (BOPEC). You could arrange that through the Buddy Dive folks. I've done her 3 times, and each time was better than the previous. Of course, the first time was on air, so I don't remember much....

Since you have open circuit folks with you, you could maybe go in together at dive one, continue in the same direction and meet up with them further down island.

Go in for dive 1 at Bachelor's Beach, meet up with them at Hilma Hooker on their dive 2.

Same thing Angel City to Salt Pier, I use these because there would be a large obvious landmark at the end location for the RB group.

Of course that's going to cost you many beers, maybe some diners too.😉

This is a shop trip, but I'm not "working". I'm going "for fun". So, no obligation to dive with the OC folks. :) There's enough of us on CCR that we'll likely dive separate from the OC folks a lot of the time anyway. And, I am fine with diving solo, too...

Their beers and dinner are on them! :D

Boat-only sites to the north are Carel's Vision (north of Karpata), La Dania's Leap, Rappel, Bloodlet, country Garden, Bon Bine na Kas, Barkadera, Small Wall. All of Klein, of course. i prefer the Hilma Hooker as a boat dive becasue the entry is wicked, and you get more time on the wreck and the reef beside it.

I have T-Mobile and there is no up-charge for 2G data, which is fine. Streaming is tough.

This may be possible, but is NOT considered to be a good idea. If you have to surface, your are in a boat channel where nobody is expecting you. The depth mid-channel is maybe 400 ft; I forget. And if you mention doing this at Buddy Dive, they might stop helping you! They had a CCR death a few years ago from someone solo swimming straight out from the reef and not getting back.

Another thing you might consider, so as not to bore your OC colleagues, is to enter at one site and exit at a different one. You'd swim between them, they would drive and do their SI. You'd want to use your local dive guides to help you pick the sites.

Bonaire is not about lots of swimming, by the way; the slower you go, the more you see.

One deep, technical dive you might want to consider is the Windjammer, at 180-210 ft, way up north near the oil tanks. (BOPEC). You could arrange that through the Buddy Dive folks. I've done her 3 times, and each time was better than the previous. Of course, the first time was on air, so I don't remember much....

As above about the OC folks. For this trip, they are not my monkeys. For this circus, I'm sitting in the stands, just like everyone else. :)

Good advice on (not) crossing that channel. Thank you. Validating any plans I make with the folks at Buddy Dive is definitely part of my plan.

The Windjammer is definitely on the To Do list. There are at least 3 of us on CCR that are qualified to dive that depth. But, I just read something (here, I think) yesterday(?) that said that nobody is allowed to dive the Windjammer now unless you have some specific scientific purpose? I guess I'll find out for sure once I get there and ask about it at Buddy Dive.

I am also hoping to get in one or two deep dives while I'm there. Not really because I'm aware of anything to see past 200' there. More, just to build experience and contribute to "working up" to some deep dives that I want to do in the future.

I am also hoping to get in one or two deep dives while I'm there. Not really because I'm aware of anything to see past 200' there. More, just to build experience and contribute to "working up" to some deep dives that I want to do in the future.
You can go quite deep at Karpata, and I understand Red Slave has some cool 19th century anchors quaite deep. I've been to 160 right in front of Buddy Dive....just sand, and few burrows for sand tilefish.

@stuartv ,
The intent was for you guys to get some long range one way dives with free ground transport.

LOL! On trips like this, I usually leave my phone off and connect my iPad or laptop to WiFi. But, when I want to actually use my phone, I'll turn it on and pay for the $10 for the day. So, I don't spend $70 for the week on IDP, but I might spend $20 or 30. I especially prefer to have my phone on and working as normal on arrival and on departure.

You used the term "back finning" there and in your trip report. I have finally figured out that you do not mean back finning as I use the term. You do NOT mean being in normal, horizontal (belly down) trim, and using your fins to go in reverse. You mean, being on the surface, laying back and flutter kicking, yes? I.e. facing the thing you are swimming AWAY from (i.e. finning while on your back). LOL That one took me a couple of minutes.

Doing the route of swimming one direction for 30-45, then back for 60-90, then back again for 30-45 was (in my mind) a way to never get TOO far from my entry point. But, swimming 60-90 in one direction first would maybe be a way to see things that divers don't normally get to?

When you start your dives, you swim on your back away from shore because...? To save gas and not burn it while swimming out across shallow sand? I was thinking that I would normally submerge as soon as it's deep enough and then swim out on the bottom (as gas is not really a concern when I'm on CCR). But, I can see how knowing what my exit looks like, from a distance, could be very handy...

I'm sure a lot are aware, but some may not be. A Google Voice # costs $20 for life and can be used to call (on wifi) to anywhere in the US for free (even if you're not in the US).

I have this setup at my house (because I'm cheap). So when we go anywhere out of country (not as often as I'd like) I "take" our number with us. I log into the app and dial any contact just like I normally would. On the other end it just pops up as my house # and it's all free.

You need wifi, so you wouldn't be able to make calls away from the room... but it works really well.

I'm not sure if there's an option with AT&T to "only" have internet instead of voice included, but GV can also use your phones internet to make and receive calls. I'm not sure what that would look like.

Just a thought. We don't call home a lot when out and about, but it's nice to talk to the kids or something and not have to worry about the minutes or being charged or whatever.

I'm sure a lot are aware, but some may not be. A Google Voice # costs $20 for life and can be used to call (on wifi) to anywhere in the US for free (even if you're not in the US).

I have this setup at my house (because I'm cheap). So when we go anywhere out of country (not as often as I'd like) I "take" our number with us. I log into the app and dial any contact just like I normally would. On the other end it just pops up as my house # and it's all free.

You need wifi, so you wouldn't be able to make calls away from the room... but it works really well.

I'm not sure if there's an option with AT&T to "only" have internet instead of voice included, but GV can also use your phones internet to make and receive calls. I'm not sure what that would look like.

Just a thought. We don't call home a lot when out and about, but it's nice to talk to the kids or something and not have to worry about the minutes or being charged or whatever.

My phone number IS a GV #. It is the only # I give out. When I make a call using my cell phone, I use the GV app. If WiFi is available, it makes the call over WiFi. If not, then it makes the call over my cell carrier's network. Either way, it is transparent to me, and the person I'm calling sees my GV # in their caller ID, so it's transparent to them, too.

If I really want to make a call from my cell phone where the other end sees my actual cell # (instead of my GV #), I CAN do that from the GV app, or I can just open the Phone app, instead of the Google Voice app, and make my call that way.

If I didn't want to pay for the AT&T international day pass, and I had WiFi access, I can turn off the Mobile Network on my phone and leave WiFi on. Then, as long as I have a WiFi connection, I can still open the GV app and make phone calls, totally as normal. The other end will not know any difference. But, if I go out of range of the WiFi, the call will drop. Similarly, while connected to WiFi, if anyone calls me (using my GV #, which is all anyone has) it will ring on my phone and I can answer it and talk, as normal.

And if I lose or break my phone, I can enable Google Voice on my iPad (and/or laptop) and continue to make and receive phone calls using either of those devices, just as if they were my phone (as long as they have an Internet connection - i.e. WiFi).

I dropped my phone and smashed the screen a couple of years ago. While it was at uBreakiFix getting repaired, I enabled Google Voice on my iPad, so I wouldn't miss any incoming phone calls. It's no fun to hold up to my ear, but it works fine as a Speakerphone. :)

My phone number IS a GV #. It is the only # I give out. When I make a call using my cell phone, I use the GV app. If WiFi is available, it makes the call over WiFi. If not, then it makes the call over my cell carrier's network. Either way, it is transparent to me, and the person I'm calling sees my GV # in their caller ID, so it's transparent to them, too.

If I really want to make a call from my cell phone where the other end sees my actual cell # (instead of my GV #), I CAN do that from the GV app, or I can just open the Phone app, instead of the Google Voice app, and make my call that way.

If I didn't want to pay for the AT&T international day pass, and I had WiFi access, I can turn off the Mobile Network on my phone and leave WiFi on. Then, as long as I have a WiFi connection, I can still open the GV app and make phone calls, totally as normal. The other end will not know any difference. But, if I go out of range of the WiFi, the call will drop. Similarly, while connected to WiFi, if anyone calls me (using my GV #, which is all anyone has) it will ring on my phone and I can answer it and talk, as normal.

And if I lose or break my phone, I can enable Google Voice on my iPad (and/or laptop) and continue to make and receive phone calls using either of those devices, just as if they were my phone (as long as they have an Internet connection - i.e. WiFi).

I dropped my phone and smashed the screen a couple of years ago. While it was at uBreakiFix getting repaired, I enabled Google Voice on my iPad, so I wouldn't miss any incoming phone calls. It's no fun to hold up to my ear, but it works fine as a Speakerphone. :)
This is exactly what I do irl almost to a T (minus those crap apple products:D)!

Actually I have GV for work and my personal cell # for personal, but both ring the same phone. When I call out I have to select (basically business or pleasure, lol).

This is exactly what I do irl almost to a T (minus those crap apple products:D)!

Actually I have GV for work and my personal cell # for personal, but both ring the same phone. When I call out I have to select (basically business or pleasure, lol).

Agreed! My iPad is my only Apple and I only have it because it was $99 when I switched to AT&T and it has its own unlimited data plan for $20/month. It is a luxury, but I like having it. And it still looks and works pretty much like new after 3 years or so. No real reason to spend money to switch (back) to a Samsung tablet.

I had a Macbook Pro Retina 15. I hated that thing so much I gave it to my parents after I bought my current Dell.

Back
Top Bottom