Help! I'm freak'n out! (Bonaire Power Conversion)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rottielover

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
:confused: My wife and I leave on friday for Bonaire (127V 50Hz).

My laptop, Land Camera, and AA battery chargers all say 100-240V 50/60Hz So no problem-o on those..

Where I'm having an anurizm, is that my "Computer controlled Smart Charger" that does anything from NiCad's up thru NiMH and AAA thru D and 9v's has a power brick that ONLY says 120V 60Hz

The charger box itself is marked 12V DC 1000mA, but again the power brick only says 120V 60Hz.

Of slightly less importance to me, but of HIGH importance too the wife is her travel hair dryer.

It is not marked at all, and I can't seem to reach the company the made it.

I have been to every travel website I could think of, and every store around St. Louis (Radio Shack, etc.) looking for anything that says "12X 50Hz to 120 60Hz" (in the 2000watt range for the Hair dyer no less (it's actually marked 1875 watts).

This is the last little detail I had on my list, and it's Def. the most frustrating issue. I have done numerous google searches, and even turned up threads here on Scubaboard and the only answers I've seen are "it depends".... ACK!

Please if you've been to Bonaire, what if anything did you buy in order to run your hair dryer / battery charger ???? Cause I can't seem to find anything!

It's not worth having an aneurism over but here's the rundown.

As you've surmised most of your chargers will work fine. And plugs are universal there. As I recall, one of the two bottom slots had a sideways "T" slot. But those are the two you want. It's obvious since the top slot won't reach.

So you don't need usually need those universal plug adapters. Although my bathroom had only round prong Euro style plugs near the sink.

You're most likely going to want to leave your battery charger in your diveops office. Most have transformer(ed) power setups in a public area since it's a common problem.

The hairdryer is probably a no-go. The combination higher voltage and 50hz current will make it run slow and hot and might burn it out. Mine popped the heat overload circuit the 2nd time I used it. And really didn't sound normal.

From infobonaire.com
Electricity - 127 volt, 50 cycle. 220 volt is also available at some resorts. Most U.S. appliances will work, however a bit hotter. Dive shops and resorts have stations for guest use for charging camera batteries, etc. It is recommended that you use them to avoid damage to delicate equipment.

You'll be fine. You batteries may take an un-noticable longer amount of time to charge and the hair dryer will whine a little slower.. But you're on vacation right? I think your gonna be o.k...

Agree with above the stuff should be fine. Just check the temperature after you plug it in. I have heard of people blowing things out but it is pretty rare and they generally ran hot before they blew. The battery charger should not care at all what frequency the power is at, it converts it to DC anyway. The transformer may not like the 50Hz but the worse is it will run hot. The hair dryer will run slower which may trip the overheat switch but this will clear and it will run again when it cools down.

Here on the Rock, it's the same problems...

I have a One hour rapid charger GI Model SG18, and the power supply smoked. I now use the car adapter for the quick charge. The 12-24 hour chargers like Radio Shack make... Cat. No: 23-427 seem to hold up well.

We have learned to use transformers to "condition" the voltage to 100-110 to run micro waves and coolers, and such. Like noted, just limit the use of your hair dryer, plus the overheating protection will kick in.

As an individual with American appliances, who lives on Bonaire I can tell you this. First, she may not need the hair dryer! You would be surprised at how many people let their hair go natural on Bonaire! The trade winds are nature's hair dryer! Regarding the charger concerns. You can't charge thing here like in the states. The maximum we tell people to charge there chargers is a maximum of 3 hours. Things are usually fully charged within that timeframe.

We have noticed that if we try and put a transformer on a microwave here on Bonaire, it can take FOREVER to boil a cup of water, without it can boil with 2 minutes.

BUT on the other hand, we have Motorola Walkie Talkies that burned out in 8 hours. Hubby says to invest in the transformer (you can actually buy one here if you don't want to lug it, they can be pretty heavy, but expensive at about $45.00

I suggest you take the suggestion of leaving at the dive shop, ask your resort if they have a transformer that you can use/rent or see if you have one in room room on an appliance that you don't mind unplugging for a while.

As far as the hair dryer....in the day I always used to bring and use my hair dryer all the time. You can use the hair dryer, just don't run it on high or it will shut it self off as it will get hot quickly. Most hairdryers have that "safety" feature. I would run it on medium for around 15 minutes and never had any problems.

Hope this helps.

Liz

Thank you for the responses eveyone!

I'm off to pack

Quick question (I hope):

My checked bag hit 50lbs. a little quicker than I had thought it was going too...

I'm only there for a week, I should be OK with a couple pair of swim trunks, and some T-Shirts right? Maybe a pair of shorts and something like a hawaiian shirt for going out?

I can't really thing of what to leave out, I took all my own gear to Maui last year and had even more cloths that time and the bag only came out to 40lbs... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The only thing I can think of is that last year I only took a 3mil shorty, this time I have that plus 3mil full suit and skin. I don't think it weighs 10 lbs. but I've been wrong before :wink:

Guess I need to pack my carry-on first...

ANyone have any good relaxation tips? I'm not sure why, but I always tend to freak out a bit when traveling by Air (not scared of planes, I usually relax once I'm in my seat)...

rottielover:
Quick question (I hope):

My checked bag hit 50lbs. a little quicker than I had thought it was going too...

I'm only there for a week, I should be OK with a couple pair of swim trunks, and some T-Shirts right? Maybe a pair of shorts and something like a hawaiian shirt for going out?

I can't really thing of what to leave out, I took all my own gear to Maui last year and had even more cloths that time and the bag only came out to 40lbs... I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. The only thing I can think of is that last year I only took a 3mil shorty, this time I have that plus 3mil full suit and skin. I don't think it weighs 10 lbs. but I've been wrong before :wink:

Guess I need to pack my carry-on first...

ANyone have any good relaxation tips? I'm not sure why, but I always tend to freak out a bit when traveling by Air (not scared of planes, I usually relax once I'm in my seat)...
Have a great time! My one relaxation tip would be to forget all about the internet, computers (other than your dive computer, of course) and technology, in general. Don't worry, be happy! Have a vacation!

rottielover,
You are WAY too stressed out! Take a deep breath. In with the good, out with the bad. Better?

Now, grab half of the clothes and "junk" you stuffed in your case and take them out. I'd bet you could live for two weeks with what you have in there now. Take the hair dryer and run it over with the car. Tell the wife it was an accident. Remove all the stuff you think you MAY need and pack the things you KNOW you will need. When you get to 30lb, then add some things from the MAY NEED pile. DUN!

Back
Top Bottom