Help - Atomic or Scuba Pro ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I understand (kind of) being biased towards a particular brand or model of anything …But, I have to agree with Nemrod. I was a bit surprised to see that a seemingly uncommon(?) incident with a particular would steer someone away from everything a reputable company offers.

I understand (kind of) being biased towards a particular brand or model of anything …But, I have to agree with Nemrod. I was a bit surprised to see that a seemingly uncommon(?) incident with a particular would steer someone away from everything a reputable company offers.
Any update? How do you like the SP? when do you get the Atomic back from service?

Well, The Atomic got sold as I decided to keep the SP. ** Believe it or not, it would have been CHEAPER to have the 3 piece Atomic set serviced instead of the SP !
The dive shop gave me an estimated wait time of 3-4 weeks to get parts in and complete service on my SP...So, we'll see how it goes.
The shop techs told me I had 2 TOP NOTCH sets and I should keep both !! :rofl3:

It’s in print that “Before Atomic Aquatics there was no best in scuba diving.”

Well, The Atomic got sold as I decided to keep the SP. ** Believe it or not, it would have been CHEAPER to have the 3 piece Atomic set serviced instead of the SP !
The dive shop gave me an estimated wait time of 3-4 weeks to get parts in and complete service on my SP...So, we'll see how it goes.
The shop techs told me I had 2 TOP NOTCH sets and I should keep both !! :rofl3:
I looked at an Atomic brass reg today. I’m trying to figure out if the swivel hose is a gimmick or if it is a real benefit. How flexible is it when pressurized?

The only experience I had with it was when it was hooked up and pressurized at the shop. It seemed to stay just as flexible as before.

Thanks. That’s what the shop told me, but I was a bit skeptical.
I have a T3/B2 setup and both have comfort swivels hoses. Unpressurized, the swivels are quite “loose”, but definitely tighten up when pressurized.

However, they are still quite adjustable and make it easy to fine tune the hose angle to make the second stage comfortable in the mouth. I really like them!

:bounce:This has been fun to watch. The ENTIRE sealed vs. unsealed piston debate in one thread, plus a seat-saver debate on top of it!

Let's summarize. There wasn't a huge price difference. Two TOP manufacturers!

It really came down to what has always been the case... unsealed Scubapro wins because of a worldwide service network and the cost (and mess) of sealing an Atomic. Techs don't love them, and rarely seal them right.

So here's the deal. If you provide average maintenance rinsing after dive trips, your reg will last 25 years. If you're really diligent, it'll last 40+. But you may have stopped diving. Atomic, on the other hand, might last forever.

But if you don't provide good rinsing, you'll have to replace the IP cap, which Scubapro will probably still stock 15 years from now.

But the S620Ti second stage? Ah!
You'll have had to service it at least every two years, and may have had the knob assembly in for additional service in between, when it froze up.

If you wanted it tuned light, it'll have freeflowed at least once about three months after service due to seat indentation. If you didn't care how hard you had to suck (or didn't know), you never knew the difference. The Atomic seat, on the other hand, wouldn't have turned a hair. But then, you'd have had to take a little more care during rinsing (which DOESN'T include having a tank and rinsing while pressurized).

It's a simple as this: if you're a regulator geek, you'll go nuts with the obligations of Scubapro service. You'll tolerate the hassle of sealing the Atomic, but love the interval and consistency.

Potatoe...potahto.

Me? I won't dive a Mk25 because I can feel the scrape of floaty grit inside the piston land every time I take a breath.

Okay. Not really. But I hate unsealed pistons, bwaahaha! :rofl3:

You did fine. Whatever you chose.
Just find a GOOD shop!

Scubapro used to seal their pistons (think SPEC Mk10). But complaining techs killed it. And here we are...

Me? I won't dive a Mk25 because I can feel the scrape of floaty grit inside the piston land every time I take a breath.
Really ?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom