Help - Atomic or Scuba Pro ????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It does with most extensive worldwide dealer network compared to all other dive equipment manufacturers.

On the other hand, Atom B2 with sealed first stage will be the most reliable regulator out there that you can go for much longer time between servicing making the requlator much better value with lowest cost of ownership.
Excellent point for consideration !

nope... the T2/T2x/T3/T25 and the B2 use titanium. The Z2/Z3, and the M1 use zirconium plated brass. The ST1.... not sure....
Thank You. So YES, the B2 for my option here IS on par with the SP. BOTH have Titanium in the 2nd stages.
I’ve been looking at SO many spec’s. Kind of seems like I won’t go wrong with either one ??? … And yet, with Scuba Pro seemingly EVERYWHERE for repairs, parts or service - SP May have the edge ?

I'd buy the newly serviced ScubaPro regulators. Servicing the Atomics is going to exceed the price difference and then some. Buy yourself an IP gauge at the same time and find the Regulator Checklist pinned in this forum. It will help you determine when you need to service your regulators again, which could well be a few years from now if you take good care of your gear.

There is not much tangible difference between the two sets in terms of quality to function. Both are great, and the option to seal the Atomics is likely not worth the effort. Unless you are beach diving every week of the year or diving in sub-zero temperatures I would not bother. (I do beach dive every week and use a sealed Mk17 and DS4 as a result)

I'd buy the newly serviced ScubaPro regulators. Servicing the Atomics is going to exceed the price difference and then some. Buy yourself an IP gauge at the same time and find the Regulator Checklist pinned in this forum. It will help you determine when you need to service your regulators again, which could well be a few years from now if you take good care of your gear.

There is not much tangible difference between the two sets in terms of quality to function. Both are great, and the option to seal the Atomics is likely not worth the effort. Unless you are beach diving every week of the year or diving in sub-zero temperatures I would not bother. (I do beach dive every week and use a sealed Mk17 and DS4 as a result)
Yup, i am METICULOUS with all of my sporting goods gear.
Hmmmm, I don’t anticipate doing any beach diving but, I WAS considering if ANY opportunity ever came along involving COLD water …OR Beach / shallow water dives for warm water lobster - I could / would have a regulator for just about ANY type of dive ???

Both of these regulators will work flawlessly in "cold" water. It is sub-freezing temperature and <40f water where you need to go sealed. Many other divers and I here in Puget Sound (44-54f) have used the Mk25/S600 regs for decades without issues.

Both of these regulators will work flawlessly in "cold" water. It is sub-freezing temperature and <40f water where you need to go sealed. Many other divers and I here in Puget Sound (44-54f) have used the Mk25/S600 regs for decades without issues.
Any sand / debris concerns ? Years ago my Oceanic “held up” to my NON EXTREME diving :outtahere:.. Sooooo, I’m pretty confident with either of these. :rofl3:. Like I said, I pretty much want this to be a “Just about ready for anything” set.

FTR, the Atomic Z Series second stage lever, orifice and spring are Titanium.

I think the most polarizing aspect of Atomic is the seat saver. If you like the extended service interval (and many people go longer than 3 yr, check the service FAQ mentioned above for justification), Atomic is the call. If you like dunking everything in a tub to soak, SP is the call.

I would swear I saw video and read that Atomic uses a titanium barrel in all of their second stages ??

Thanks. You are correct I do think. That puts them very close to equal. Though parts kits in the wild for Scubapro might be easier to get, not sure since I have never owned an Atomic regulator, I know they are on par with Scubapro both for quality and expense.

James

FTR, the Atomic Z Series second stage lever, orifice and spring are Titanium.

I think the most polarizing aspect of Atomic is the seat saver. If you like the extended service interval (and many people go longer than 3 yr, check the service FAQ mentioned above for justification), Atomic is the call. If you like dunking everything in a tub to soak, SP is the call.
Are you trying to make this a “Simple Choice” ?? I’m already confused on which one to pick. 😖…. 😁

Back
Top Bottom