Healthways Scuba Star regulator.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

AfterDark

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Does anyone have repair / overhaul info on a Healthways Scuba Star regulator? I found one in my equipment collection and would like to play at regulator repairman. This thing will never see anything past a pool so it'll make a good learning subject. Thanks for any help.

The Scubastar is a clone of the USD Deepstar. It is a simple flow by piston design. If I remember correctly it uses the same generic seat as the Scubapro Mk2, Mk 3, Mk 200, Mk 2 Plus and it should be reversible, so you most likely will not need a new seat.

There will also be two o-rings that matter, the piston head o-ring and the piston stemp o-ring and both are also normal, generic sized, 70 duro nitrile o-rings.

The IP is controlled by spring pressure and is adjustable only with shims so put back in what you took out and the IP will be the same.

It is in short, dirt simple and intuitively obvious to service and a manual would not be required.

Well thanks for the info. I thought there might be adjustments, clearances etc.. that I would need to check or adjust. Just disassemble, clean the metal parts and change the o-rings. Sounds like a money maker for a repair shop. Too bad it breathes like a using a 3 foot snorkel!

Gotta love that puny exhaust valve too!

Here are some pictures of my Scuba Star. Love the metal housing and the elongated, super skinny exhaust ports. I remember seeing it when I was a kid in those "older" scuba books and thinking I need one. That being said I would never dive this thing (as mentioned) beyond 48" of water.

Cheers,

X

Attachments

• scuba star.jpg
    scuba star.jpg
    53.8 KB · Views: 135
  • Scuba Star II.jpg
    Scuba Star II.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 134
Well thanks for the info. I thought there might be adjustments, clearances etc.. that I would need to check or adjust. Just disassemble, clean the metal parts and change the o-rings. Sounds like a money maker for a repair shop. Too bad it breathes like a using a 3 foot snorkel!
As a tech, I have to say I enjoy the occasional mk 2 or Mk 3 as they are very simple and quick to service. It makes up for the occasional badly corroded and much more complicated first stages you have to deal with.

I have been expecting Herman to jump into this thread and declare AferDark's Scuba Star to be "crap" and "dangerous" and offer to safely dispose of it for him!:rofl3:

I have been expecting Herman to jump into this thread and declare AferDark's Scuba Star to be "crap" and "dangerous" and offer to safely dispose of it for him!:rofl3:

I haven't been on the board long but I'd say this is one time he's right! :popcorn:

Don't think I an not in the background, I just don't need another one to go with the other 5 I already have. :) .....

Funny thing is this thread got me to thinking about making some diaphrams for the second stages. I played with the project a while back and got side tracked, now that winter is coming on and I got a new lathe to play with, I may have to get the project back on the front burner.

Shees, see if I send you any more tubing to repair those old dangerous POS capillary gauges.

(and just to make sure- I am kidding)

By the way, got a nice Seavue pressure gauge with the cap gauge on it a few weeks back, works great.

Back
Top Bottom