Healthways Scuba Star regulator.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As simple, economical and reliable as capillary gauges are, I am surprised they are so hard to find.

As simple, economical and reliable as capillary gauges are, I am surprised they are so hard to find.

That's the problem. They don't wear out, need service. I've had mine for 40+ years now same tube, strap buckle. Works fine.:D

They don't work well for multiple dives unless you can get any water out from previous dives.
They are ideal for altitude diving, though.

After a dive, I just suck on the end of the tube and the water comes right out, ready for the next dive.

Only a sucker would buy a capillary gauge.

Then I guess I'm a sucker!:D I like the dependable simplicity of the capillary depth gauge. I bought mine new 40 years ago for $2.50 and it it still works perfectly. Of course, I had to replace the tube when it got too dark to read, but that wasn't until a couple of months ago. Herman likes them, too, and he sent me some tubing to replace the old one.

Too bad it breathes like a using a 3 foot snorkel!

Most of the early Healthways do.

Hey, Paladin, I hope you know I was just kidding. It was a play on words:)

I have several, and use them from time to time. I think the best part of using them is they provide a visual reminder of the effects of pressure. I think every new diver should have to use one at least once during training as it physically shows how an air column is compressed by the water pressure at various depths. Illustrations in a textbook showing the effects of Boyles Law are O.K., but actually seeing it in action in a capillary gauge really drives it home.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom