Have you ever deployed a delayed surface marker buoy or been taught how to?

Have you ever deployed a delayed surface marker buoy or been taught how to?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In Egypt, a DSMB per person is legally requested on all dive cruising boats.

Neither of my two dive trips to the Red Sea had such a requirement, although most of us carried one anyway. Both trips originated in Hurghada ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I was on a Komodo cruise a few weeks ago. Same thing, checkout dive with DSMB lauch for everybody. Exactly identical to the lveboard in Egypt and the MAldives.

Yes, on my Maldives trip everyone was required to carry an SMB. For the most part they were deployed on the surface, however. The ones the guides were using weren't equipped for submersible deployment (no spool or reel).

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Until they lose the guide or the guide loses them. Too many divers plan for the whole dive to be perfect and aren't prepared for when it goes South. I try to be the voice of reason and get them to think ahead for when things do. While it's not an agency requirement, shooting a DSMB for AOW is a requirement for me.

I had a guide in Cozumel who lost us. He was so focused on one specific client that he ignored those of us who he'd decided were competent. And in a ripping current we got separated. Fortunately, we all had DSMB's and launched our own when it was time to surface. The boat found us easily, as a cluster of five buoys on the surface in close proximity is pretty noticeable ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

That's slowly coming. I was called a liar here on SB when I posted that my students weren't ever allowed to kneel (2004 0r 2005???). Now we see some people trying to shame others into teaching that way and act like they invented the process.

Had a similar reaction back around the same time-period when I put gas management in my AOW curriculum. At the time I was told constantly by instructors and course directors that it was overkill, and not needed. But over the ensuing years hundreds of divers have downloaded the article, and dozens of instructors have asked permission to use it as part of their class.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

Neither of my two dive trips to the Red Sea had such a requirement, although most of us carried one anyway. Both trips originated in Hurghada ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)
We often stayed in loose proximity to the guide, but were allowed to dive with our buddy and deploy a SMB for panga pickup. We frequently did this when the dive was ending for most of the group due to air consumption and we still had time to dive. I can't remember if having a SMB was a requirement or not, it should have been.

have done it many times from depth with a reel.....and still practice on deep and hot drop dives.

Not true ... SMB's typically have an OPV. Otherwise deployment at depth could cause it to burst at the seams if it expands beyond capacity on ascent ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

You missed the point of my response - we were discussing the use of the term DSMB as being distinct from a SMB, and what our definition of the difference is - i.e. The D in Dsmb meaning deployable at depth as opposed to a surface marker, inflated at the surface.

For diving in my area, the distinction's an artificial one. I don't know a single diver who owns an SMB that cannot be deployed from below the surface. It wouldn't be very useful here.

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

5 more divers can do it here in Bonaire. AOW and deep specialties. Lots of fun, lots of giggles, much improvement and a lot more confidence.

A distinction between a DSMB and a SMB is the the DSMB might have an over pressure relief / dump valve on the lower section of the tube body, particularly if the bottom is fully sealed.

Having said that, it take 12 good breaths to fully inflate my DSMB, so, I wuould have to be really deep for the valve to need to function.

I once hooked my legs around a training platform and inflated it fully. It went up so quickly, that it ripped the finger spool from my hand. A few seconds later the spool descended slowly past me which I then grabbed.

It is so important to look up when deploying a DSMB that I have written "LOOK UP" with a marker on the DSMB by the inflator tube.

Back
Top Bottom