Have you ever deployed a delayed surface marker buoy or been taught how to?

Have you ever deployed a delayed surface marker buoy or been taught how to?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Trailboss123

Divemaster
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I have been talking a lot recently with friends (newly certified to Instructor level) about this question and have had so many interesting and different responses, that I thought I'd throw it out here and see what the percentages look like on the BOARD -- out of curiosity.

To be clear, I am talking about deploying a surface marker buoy from depth- not surfacing and inflating one.

Last edited:
FTR, a reel and a spool are very different. I use a spool. I assume your survey choice should read "yes" where it currently reads "4"?

Nice to have other options than no and no

Ahem.

Add a yes option, might make this less one sided.

I did it in Cozumel in 2015. It's pretty simple, I don't think it really requires a class. I think the very first time I did it, I deployed a lot deeper than SS depth and learned that it sucks to roll up 50' of line onto a spool as you ascend.

I figured it out on my own using a spool and a small reel. Practiced semi regularly, but it’s not necessary for most of the diving I do (quarry). In Cozumel, I deployed on every boat dive, I’m no where near as smooth or fast as the Divemasters down there.

FTR, a reel and a spool are very different. I use a spool. I assume your survey choice should read "yes" where it currently reads "4"?
Sorry, just figured out how to add additional responses- please go back and cast your vote(s) and comment.

I figured it out on my own using a spool and a small reel. Practiced semi regularly, but it’s not necessary for most of the diving I do (quarry). In Cozumel, I deployed on every boat dive, I’m no where near as smooth or fast as the Divemasters down there.
Sorry, just figured out how to add additional responses- please go back and cast your vote(s) and comment.
Ahem.

Add a yes option, might make this less one sided.

I did it in Cozumel in 2015. It's pretty simple, I don't think it really requires a class. I think the very first time I did it, I deployed a lot deeper than SS depth and learned that it sucks to roll up 50' of line onto a spool as you ascend.

But it is also easier to deploy the deeper you are - less air required at depth to have it full at the surface.

Back
Top Bottom