Have you ever deployed a delayed surface marker buoy or been taught how to?

Have you ever deployed a delayed surface marker buoy or been taught how to?

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So would people recommend a spool for ease of rolling, or a reel, because it is smaller to carry?

So would people recommend a spool for ease of rolling, or a reel, because it is smaller to carry?
It's safer. No chance of a mechanical foul up... just knotty lines.

My OW students learn how to deploy a sausage on the surface and my AOW students learn how to do it from depth.

I regularly deploy in the tropics with a simple spool from about 30'. One advantage I see is the nice slow tangle free wind up brings me up very slowly.

With my dry gloves on I find it barely do-able. Not much boat traffic where I dive in the cold, if needed I would inflate at the surface and wave.

I'm not one to leave the group intentionally, but on several occasions in Cozumel I've encountered currents that split the group. A dive plan that includes "just stay close to the guide" can quickly go sideways.

Anyone diving in Coz (or anywhere that drifting is standard) really should have a SMB and reel (or spool) and know how to use it. Besides the obvious safety aspect of knowing how to deploy your own, it helps the guide to know that you can handle it when separated.

My OW students learn how to deploy a sausage on the surface and my AOW students learn how to do it from depth.
This is how I teach it to my students, I know some instructors that teach it during OW but I don’t think most are ready for it yet. I will teach anyone how to deploy one for free (just not during OW), I’m not a fan of the new course on this skill.

Last edited:
I think you got your terms mixed, best choice is a spool for its compact size. Sucks to reel in, and I usually fix it once back on land. I do have a Custom Divers pocket reel that I sometimes use, but a spool is still smaller and lighter.

It's safer. No chance of a mechanical foul up... just knotty lines.

Which is safer? Reel or spool? and what reasons, please? I dont have either, looking to buy as well. I just have two different sized safety sausages, 4 ft and 6ft. I dived above 90, not a deep diver, but we do a lot of drift dives i worried id get tangled and strangled by my own line, so i will get an instructor before using on my own.

It's kind of cool, but during an invasion, you'll see a lot of sausages go up at the end of every dive. Almost every buddy pair shoots a bag.
I will teach anyone how to deploy one for free (just not during OW),
Ditto.

Which is safer? Reel or spool?
The simpler tool is almost always the safer one. The reel has stops, handles, moving parts and etc that can jam, tighten accidentally and so on. The spool is just a donut with string. Tres simple! Let that puppy fly and watch the spool spin in place. It's magic.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom