Have Old Zeagle FH6 Gotta Ask...!?!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

MudDog

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
... I've been diving for almost 20 years and the last reg I bought was 4 years ago: Zeagle FH6 (Apeks Tx100 as y'all know).

Anyway, I need to get a second primary for my doubles and am in a bit of a quandry. Would really appreciate your help!

I've been reading through your posts but am stil not sure what direction to take.

What are your thoughts please on a good, severe condition (cold water/sealed) high performance reg:
1. New Zeagle FHVI
2. New Zeagle DSIV
3. MK 25/G250
4. MK25/S550
5. Current Apeks ?

I know they are all "good", guess I'm asking...if you are familiar with these, which would you choose? My current reg is very good, only complaint is minor wet breathing in certain positions. Are any of these less likely to have this issue?

I thank you *very much*in advance!
Rick

HI Rick!

Each of those regs you mention is gonna have a following.

I have had several Apeks and love them! Know what you mean about the occasional wet breathing, annoying but not much of a problem.

A friend of mine has the new Zeagle DSIV and really likes it...she had the older Zeagle/Apeks 50...says they breath about the same...need to ask her about the wet breathing.

I've known 2 people who have had to send their MK20s in for "leaks" shortly after being serviced (2 different places). Don't know the details...so really not fair to make judgements based on this...only know that these people are very meticulous with their gear.

Can't beat Apeks or Zeagle in my experience...the fact that they are basicly sister regs probably has a lot to do with it! I know quite a few people with them and n'er heard of a single failure or problem...I've been diving for 15 years (1/2 my life!)

L.

:)

I would get an Apeks model from DiveInn.com.-and that's what I did!

No better price(though that darn Lost Yooper always seems to find a better price) on the internet, or LDS. And no better reg.-there are regs. just as good but none at the low price point of DiveInn's Apeks.

I dive with the Apeks TX50 with TX40-total cost $325.00

I wanted Zeagles for my doubles rig so I got a Flathead and a 50D. They are both great and I have never gotten on droplet of water in either, in any position. They are great. I have about a hundred dives on each now.

All regs that you have listed are fine except for the Scubapros. Dont get me wrong, I love Scubapro regs. They're fine for general use. It can still be used for cold water diving with the optional packing material installed. It kinda gets dirty and gritty in time though especially if the water your diving is dirty or contaminiated. For cold water/severe environments, diaprahm-based 1st stages are the best. Even better if your using a dry seal system. Best bet are on the Apeks/Zeagle or Poseidons. If you still want Scubapros, they offer the MK18s or the newer and smaller MK16s. :D

Go with another flat head. Apex are great (as you know) and a LOT easier to work on than SP.

Eric

When people say as Ericfine50 said:

>"Go with another flat head. Apex are great..."

Zeagle still hold the rights to the "Flathead" name I think...so, are you recomending the Zeagle or the Apeks (previous holder of the Flathead name under Zeagle).

Thank you *all* very much for all of your advice, I really appreciate your help!!
Rick:eek:

Originally posted by ericfine50
The new flathead by Apex is the one I was refering to.
Eric
That would be the Apeks TX100 or ATX100 regs to be exact.

Muddy,
If you can possibly afford it:

Buy two new DS4s, one tx50, one tx40 or tx20, one SPG, DIR hose kit and appropriate bolt snaps.

Keep your flat head set up for singles.

You will find that at times you just want to use a single...
At other times you want to use doubles...

At least that is the way Shane and I are set up.
We have plugged manifold valves in our singles so we can slap the cross over & bands on them and have a second set of doubles for trips if needed.

We have also taken both double and single rigs on trips and didn't have to swap hoses around between dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom