Has anyone seen these "drysuits" on ebay??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You just don't give in.

a) The DUI 30/30 suit certainly does have valves. You can get correct info on this suit at:

http://www.dui-online.com/newsite/dry_30.htm

b) For the purposes of a discussion on the waterproofness/suitability of breathable laminates for drysuit use, why does the fact that a suit has ankle seals instead of feet even matter?

c) Sure, the suit is marketed as a warm climate drysuit, because you get the most benefit from breathable materials on the surface when it is warm and your body wants to cool evaporatively. But in the water, no laminate drysuit provides much insulation...warmth depends on what's underneath. Are you claiming that I couldn't be comforable diving the 30/30 in cold water with my regular fleece undies and neoprene wet boots?

Dive Source:
It's a warm water drysuit with no feet or valves - don't know if that is a great example since it's basically a paddle/splash suit.

This thread started talking about the dry suits on ebay and they have no valves or feet, no ankle seals either.

The price on them is not bad even at that. Just adding boots or ankle seals will make them good suits for kayaking. For diving they would also need valves added which would add to the cost.

The DUI suit is not what is in the ebay sale.

deadfish:
You just don't give in.

You either - but it's mostly out of curiousity now (sorry I didn't notice the valves ).

Anyway - I'll tell you what - tommorrow out of curiosity I will call a few of my drysuit suppliers to ask them to explain to me in small words why they do or do not use "gore-tex" for diving drysuits.

Just a word of warning... don't expect anyone you talk to at the manufacturer's to even have a good understanding of what Gore-Tex actually is. The reason it's not used it's because it's orders of magnitude less waterproof than butyl rubber or even urethane coated nylon. The breathability is only a factor for sitting on the surface. The other thing is that after several years WPB laminates tend to delaminate, whereas trilams have what is almost an indefinite shelf life.

deadfish:
You just don't give in.
Well let's see... we have an established member of the community who made an honest mistake being chastised by a smart ass on his first post... hmm, I can't see why Brian might have continued to press the issue.. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah... welcome to SB, has Dandy Don given you your official welcome yet?

Iceman900t:
I was just curious...as I was browsing around on ebay today, they had a bunch of these "military immersion drysuits" for pretty cheap. Apparently, they aren't scuba drysuits in the usual sense since they don't appear to have any way to pressurize them. What I was wondering is, has anybody ever used these or seen them used?? How do they fare as a form of exposure protection for divers? Like as a substitute for a 7mm wetsuit? Here's the link to the sale...http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=36071&item=2239722616&rd=1

Thanks!
Ben

I have used these suits. They are for cold water survival in a ditching. Seen guys jump in head first wearing them and damn near drown because the feet filled up with air like a balloon.

Don't think I would be interested in trying it for scuba though. Like everyone else said, no way to manage the bouyancy. Once you burp out the air from the neck band, that's it, you are out.

Brian

Please disregard my comment above. I took a quick look at it and had it mixed up with the suits I had used.

My bad.

Brian

cornfed:
Well let's see... we have an established member of the community who made an honest mistake being chastised by a smart ass on his first post... hmm, I can't see why Brian might have continued to press the issue.. :rolleyes:

Hold on Drew - that would mean I actually am - GASP -wrong !

I'm still trying to prove otherwise! Besides - On the suit stinkyfish talks about from DUI the word Goretex isn't used - he just said it's the same stuff.

I NEED TO KNOW ....THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE SCULLY!

Dive Source:
Hold on Drew - that would mean I actually am - GASP -wrong !
It wouldn't be the first time, now would it Mr. Discombobulator. :wink:

Yes ... Gortex like materials have been used in diving suits with a limited amount of success. However, the Gortex brand itself is not of the correct design to work while totally immersed.

The "other" breathable fabrics on the market use differing thicknesses of PTFE as well as different micro "holes" to allow air/moisture to pass through.

We, OS Systems, tested a fully breathable diving suit in the Galapagos a couple of years back and, while it had some construction problems, the material functioned perfectly underwater. The tester was comfortable on the surface since the suit allowed perspiration to vent off and kept dry underwater. Had we used Gortex, the test diver would have been soaked.

After continuing testing, though, we discovered that the material only kept the diver dry for about 150 dives before the PTFE began to break down from wear. I will only guess that is why the "other guys" only use a breathable material on the top.

While it may be great for marketing something "differerent", it still isn't the best material for diving. We do make a full line of paddle sports gear out of it though!

Just my $.02

Ray Contreras
========================
http://www.ossystems.com

Back
Top Bottom