Has anyone tried these weight belt pouches?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WI Scuba Dave

Contributor
Reaction score
West Bend, WI (about 30 miles north of Milwaukee)
# of dives
200 - 499
I found these on eBay and they are exactly what I've been looking for. Unfortunately, they are an unnamed China made brand.

Because I use different wet suit configurations for different depth/water temperature diving, and spread my weights between my BCD and weight belt, I am looking for something easily customizable, so I don't have to re-thread my weight belt each time. I personally do not like the brand name pocket belt systems that I have seen, and these look like exactly what I am after. Thinking two or hree on each side, held in place with keepers, and then I can easily swap weights out as I need to. It says each pouch can hold up to a 5lb hard or soft weight. Just concrned about durability/construction.

KEEP DIVING 2kg 5mm Webbling Scuba Diving Spare Weight Belt Pocket Pouch #Cu3 | eBay

I haven't used those, but I do have similarly cheap trim weight pockets that'll hold about 4 lbs each on my can bands. They've held up for a couple years without an issue, other than the drain grommets corroding a bit on the surface.

3 on each side is 6 total. At that price why not just buy another weight belt? Have a light one and a heavy one. Or use the rubber freediver belts from mako. They don't require the keepers. The rubber holds the weights in place well. Making adding or removing weight easy.

3 on each side is 6 total. At that price why not just buy another weight belt? Have a light one and a heavy one. Or use the rubber freediver belts from mako. They don't require the keepers. The rubber holds the weights in place well. Making adding or removing weight easy.

That's an interesting idea I hadn't thought of ... but wouldn't I ultimately be spending more on duplicating weights to keep more than one belt ready to go? It might be easier to have multiple weight belts though. So something for me to consider. Thanks!

I haven't used those, but I do have similarly cheap trim weight pockets that'll hold about 4 lbs each on my can bands. They've held up for a couple years without an issue, other than the drain grommets corroding a bit on the surface.

Yeah, it seems unlikely that they would all of the sudden fail, verses noticing them starting to wear out. Thanks!

If you’re dead set on pouches, might I suggest the XS Scuba single weight pouches. They hold up to 5 lb, fit over 2” webbing and are 4.5 inches long instead of the 5 inch length of the Keep Diving. I admit that I am basing the length of the XS Scuba on the quick fit version that I have, but I’m seeing no visual difference in the photos. They are available on Leisure Pro for 9.95, 3 dollars more, but have been very durable. I would post a link but, embarrassingly, I haven’t figured out how to on my iPad:lotsalove:.

Erik

I've bought some "cheap" pouches.... the only problem with some of them is that the belt loop is too big. Keepers (most types) just slide right through. I put those on tank cam bands.

If you’re dead set on pouches, might I suggest the XS Scuba single weight pouches. They hold up to 5 lb, fit over 2” webbing and are 4.5 inches long instead of the 5 inch length of the Keep Diving. I admit that I am basing the length of the XS Scuba on the quick fit version that I have, but I’m seeing no visual difference in the photos. They are available on Leisure Pro for 9.95, 3 dollars more, but have been very durable. I would post a link but, embarrassingly, I haven’t figured out how to on my iPad:lotsalove:.

Erik
I looked at those XS Scuba single weight pouches, but I'm not sure that I like the idea of the velcro belt loop.I can see how on a tank band that they would be more secure, not so sure about a weight belt though. But I like the idea of knowing their are a name brand, and they seem a bit more streamlined. I'm not completely sold on the pocket idea yet, but it seemed like maybe a good idea. :wink:

I've bought some "cheap" pouches.... the only problem with some of them is that the belt loop is too big. Keepers (most types) just slide right through. I put those on tank cam bands.
I wouldn't have thought of that. I guess it probably depends on the brand. I suppose a solution could be to use D-ring keepers in that case. But thanks for the heads up!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom