Deep 6 Gear 3mm Wetsuit... they say its 'badass'.... and they're right. Here's why:

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I like mine a lot as well. The one gripe I have is the neck zipper/Velcro area. I have to wear a buff or a Hugh collar rash guard or that wetsuit will rub it raw after a single dive. Everything else fits great and I like the suit overall. I’d suggest it’s a great for gear snobs but not worth the overall cost.

While not a knock against the suit but rather against then company, if you guess incorrectly on the size return shipping is on you. So tack on an extra $50-$75 if guess wrong on something you can’t try on. My friends are I were going to submit a decent size regulator package (10-20 reg packages) order but we went alternate routes after this experience.

That has been my concern as well in considering this suit. Not enough size options. I am likewise 5'8" and about 170 lbs. with short arms and legs but a broad chest and shoulders relative to my height, and brands that fit me typically refer to my size as "Medium-Large-Short." After all the amazing attention to detail in this suit, having to tailor it to my arms and legs isn't something I want to take on.

I get it. They could only produce these in 'traditional sizes'.... which makes sense. I'm sure MOQ's on 9 sizes was prohibitive.

Scissors, four quick cuts, 10 minutes with a needle and it'll fit me perfectly. :)

-K

That has been my concern as well in considering this suit. Not enough size options. I am likewise 5'8" and about 170 lbs. with short arms and legs but a broad chest and shoulders relative to my height, and brands that fit me typically refer to my size as "Medium-Large-Short." After all the amazing attention to detail in this suit, having to tailor it to my arms and legs isn't something I want to take on.
They aren't far from you. swing by and try one on you might be really surprised by how well it fits. Lots of stretch to these. For reference I am 5'7" 155lbs and a small fits me well. I could trim a half inch off the legs and arms but not worth it. You would probably fit medium best, and I did try that as well. The arms and legs were a bit longer. Having the length trimmed wouldn't be that hard, but even if you didn't want to do that the seals are long enough that rolling them up and back or inside wouldn't really affect the functionality of the suit. I never thought I'd spend $300 for a suit but I am glad I did now.

They aren't far from you. swing by and try one on you might be really surprised by how well it fits. Lots of stretch to these. For reference I am 5'7" 155lbs and a small fits me well. I could trim a half inch off the legs and arms but not worth it. You would probably fit medium best, and I did try that as well. The arms and legs were a bit longer. Having the length trimmed wouldn't be that hard, but even if you didn't want to do that the seals are long enough that rolling them up and back or inside wouldn't really affect the functionality of the suit. I never thought I'd spend $300 for a suit but I am glad I did now.

Its true - the glide skin is very long on both the legs and the arms.... I'm currently rolling up the legs a bit, and kinda hunching the arms up around my elbows... I'll get these trimmed this weekend.

Same place, Aviator8... never thought I'd spend $300 on a 3mm.... but with the pads, pockets and construction, its a damn nice suit.

- K

I picked one up this summer when they were having there special on them. Got it for some warm NC sub diving. That review is pretty much spot on. The sizing is a bit off (long) but for a 3mm I don't really care. I got it mostly for scrape protection. The wear I see appears to be from the Velcro hooks digging into the nylon outer skin. I'm calling it cosmetic. It is off to Truk soon and see how it does there. Get through those two and it did what I got it for. After that everything else is a bonus.

I got the matching booties as well. They have a good fit and features. But that is my foot. The 3mm gloves, not so impressed. Neat features, but not want I really need in a warm water glove. and not enough glove for the cold water either. Won't fault the quality or features, just not a purpose I am after.

I like mine a lot as well. The one gripe I have is the neck zipper/Velcro area. I have to wear a buff or a Hugh collar rash guard or that wetsuit will rub it raw after a single dive. Everything else fits great and I like the suit overall. I’d suggest it’s a great for gear snobs but not worth the overall cost.

While not a knock against the suit but rather against then company, if you guess incorrectly on the size return shipping is on you. So tack on an extra $50-$75 if guess wrong on something you can’t try on. My friends are I were going to submit a decent size regulator package (10-20 reg packages) order but we went alternate routes after this experience.

I understand your POV when it comes to guessing the wrong size suit. However I am curious, you state you were going to submit a 15-20 ref order and decided against because of the return shipping costs if you guessed wrong on the size. Yet regs are not sized and there are many threads here that speak very highly of the regs they offer. You can also speak directly with the staff on here which I find to be nice when it is usually hard to get in contact with anyone from the factory of other brands.

So why decided to go with another brand of regs based on an issue you have with the return shipping for a size issue on a wetsuit? It does not seem logical to me. Not bashing you, but I want to understand the thought process.

I'm curious if someone has had this suit for more dives and can say if scuffing was mostly cosmetic or became an issue. I have a Bare (best sizing for my body) and after only one dive I noticed scuffing similar to what your pictures show from my BPW shoulder straps. Asked around and it's a common observation but it's only cosmetic damage and doesn't proceed past light scuffing. Almost 40 dives on the suit later and the scuff marks haven't gotten any worse, I guess just the outermost layer was more vulnerable. I wonder if your 3mm is the same way.

I understand your POV when it comes to guessing the wrong size suit. However I am curious, you state you were going to submit a 15-20 ref order and decided against because of the return shipping costs if you guessed wrong on the size. Yet regs are not sized and there are many threads here that speak very highly of the regs they offer. You can also speak directly with the staff on here which I find to be nice when it is usually hard to get in contact with anyone from the factory of other brands.

So why decided to go with another brand of regs based on an issue you have with the return shipping for a size issue on a wetsuit? It does not seem logical to me. Not bashing you, but I want to understand the thought process.

It’s purely a factor if I didn’t like how they conducted business on my particular interaction. I still think their regs are the best value on the market. This suit is probably one of the best premium wetsuits out there. This experience just left a bad taste in my mouth and there are alternatives so I’ll go elsewhere. Which means I’ll either pay more or get an inferior product but so be it, I try and vote with my wallet. It had nothing to do with the regs or returning them, just had a bad experience. Im sure I’m in the minority and that most people won’t come away with the same view I do. I don’t really have any ill will towards deep six and wish them all the success in the world, I just won’t be doing any future purchases with them. Which is a shame since their really isn’t an alternative wetsuit choice with the same features.

I'm curious if someone has had this suit for more dives and can say if scuffing was mostly cosmetic or became an issue. I have a Bare (best sizing for my body) and after only one dive I noticed scuffing similar to what your pictures show from my BPW shoulder straps. Asked around and it's a common observation but it's only cosmetic damage and doesn't proceed past light scuffing. Almost 40 dives on the suit later and the scuff marks haven't gotten any worse, I guess just the outermost layer was more vulnerable. I wonder if your 3mm is the same way.

I have around 40, and I haven’t noticed any scuffing from my BP/W.

Back
Top Bottom