Has any of your stuff been stolen by baggage handlers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My next door neighbor is a retired FBI agent who has a full time job now investigating airport crime (including luggage thefts)
Theft is committed by all of the above.

Whatever one may lose, claims should be filed. It'd help track down crooks, and claims are often paid - in spite of hassles.

Also, if youve registered the complaint about the theft you have travel insurance in worst case (you DO have travel insurance, right??)

Also, if youve registered the complaint about the theft you have travel insurance in worst case (you DO have travel insurance, right??)

Like DAN :)

-------------------------------------------
PADI Rescue/DM 09100Z7445
Dr Dive/Wet Dream/Sea Cobra/Y-Knot/H2OBelow

Diving is my passion...I live to dive!

The airline has primary responsibility for paying the claim. If your loss is greater than airline limits, then trip insurance can pay - or homeowners.

Ever flown with a pony...? :shakehead:

I have removed the valve from mine since that rule started, always covering with 2" electrical tape, each end folded back for easy removal. I have watched TSA agents remove it halfway and replace it, more commonly to just look at it on the X-ray or Catscan seeing that the valve is removed - with no interest. Returning, I seldom get to see agents do the inspections, but never had a problem.

I have thought about packing it inside a transparent bag with the end secured by a twisty, but that would also violate the letter of the rule - and be more likely to get left open I think. Above all I want the inside of my pony to stay clean.

I have never heard of anyone losing a pony in checked bags.

No I have not flown with a pony. I side-sling a resort provided 60 (or 30) at my destination only if the dive profile requires it.

Carry a pony?
images-8.jpg

When traveling with any CCR gear, I leave the bottle o-p-e-n as per the letter of the rule.

And yes, I do know of sealed bottles (one with tape) being removed from a checked case.

I try to go through life (and TSA) not looking for discussions, arguments, or post-facto insurance claims.

When traveling with any CCR gear, I leave the bottle o-p-e-n as per the letter of the rule.
Ok, I've seen you comment before, but never spoken of your own experiences on the subject. I comment beyond my own at times too. :blush:

Now, CCR gear is a broad term. So you have packed open tanks in your luggage? If I understand that correctly, how do you deal with the contamination hazard? Do a viz and if needed clean after arrival each way?

And yes, I do know of sealed bottles (one with tape) being removed from a checked case.

I try to go through life (and TSA) not looking for discussions, arguments, or post-facto insurance claims.
Good plan. :thumb:

Never had anything stolen by TSA while I wasn't watching.:D

I haven't had anything missing out of my luggage. I have had TSA approved locks disappear never to be seen again on 2 occasions. I quit buying them.

Never had anything stolen by TSA while I wasn't watching.:D

I haven't had anything missing out of my luggage. I have had TSA approved locks disappear never to be seen again on 2 occasions. I quit buying them.

My wife called me last night in a tizzy. When she went to unpack in a hotel room, she noticed a lock on her luggage. Not her lock (she does not lock her bag), probably one of yours :D courtesy of the TSA. Anyway she had the maintenance guy at the hotel cut it off with bolt cutters - sorry.

True Story

Now that's funny. (probably not if your the one that ended up with the lock) I lost a total of 4 locks on 2 different trips. I give up. I think the locks must be a sign to TSA that there might be something in there that needs to be investigated. Kind of like a wet paint sign:D

My wife called me last night in a tizzy. When she went to unpack in a hotel room, she noticed a lock on her luggage. Not her lock (she does not lock her bag), probably one of yours :D courtesy of the TSA. Anyway she had the maintenance guy at the hotel cut it off with bolt cutters - sorry.

True Story

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom