Has any of your stuff been stolen by baggage handlers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In the news today (CBS Boston):
"The Transportation Security Administration recently revealed that 382 of its agents have been fired for theft in the past ten years."
"The TSA’s advice: While they are watching you with your cameras, you should keep a close eye on your belongings. "

I was leaving Santa Barbara airport with 14 frozen whole lobsters in a soft side cooler. The TSA guy said he had to check the contents and went around the corner. Came back and said all was ok. Got home, there were eleven. I even made a comment to him about making sure they all stayed in the bag. The guy never even flinched....

I was leaving Santa Barbara airport with 14 frozen whole lobsters in a soft side cooler. The TSA guy said he had to check the contents and went around the corner. Came back and said all was ok. Got home, there were eleven. I even made a comment to him about making sure they all stayed in the bag. The guy never even flinched....
They check my checked luggage in Lubbock with me watching, but after that - they can get to it anytime, going or returning. They don't get to my roll-on or carry-on bags with me supervising. See http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/ge...sa-screening-gate-agents-trying-steal-me.html

I am glad the TSA caught these guys, but what were they thinking...?!
The TSA Blog: TSA Week in Review: 42 Firearms Discovered This Week at TSA Checkpoints (38 Loaded)

I had purchased an inexpensive $10 silicon ipod cover for a friend. I generally don't pack anything of value in checked luggage, but I didn't really consider this item valuable. When I arrived at my destination, the plastic blister pack was still in the suitcase with a large slice right through the middle, and the ipod cover was gone. Another case of "had to be the x-ray guys" because they knew it was in there and exactly where it was. Of course our local TSA had a bunch of folks get busted for smuggling drugs.....

Now I don't put anything other than clothing and toiletries in the checked luggage in normal travel. Dive travel carry mask, reg, computer, dive lights, and ALL of my wife's photography gear.

Used to be in Miami that if you had a dive bag with logo on it it was guaranteed to be stolen in the airport.

My last trip through MIA airport, some douchebag baggage handler stole a BRAND NEW pair of Cole Hahn shoes that I had just bought the week before.

I typically NEVER put electronics, cameras, dive regulators/computer in checked baggage. but figured a pair of shoes would be safe.

sh*t heads.

Best answer in these travel trying times is to ship your luggage and gear, especially if you have Pelicans...One draw back of course is the weight of each box. We always make sure our destination resort or hotel or even Live-A-Board companies will accept the shipments. Walk on and off the plane with no more than your carry-on, especially if your traveling internationally. Put your lock on, drop it off at FedEx Express or UPS and go, we prefer the former. Many will say it costs too much, but the elimination of the hassle of taking dive gear and luggage through an airport is not worth it for myself or my wife. And the expense isn't as much as you might think when dealing with baggage fees too. JMHO

In June had a $24 bottle of maple syrup stolen from checked luggage. Flew to L.A. yesterday and a $125 custom first aid kit in a Pelican box was stolen.

I think it is the guys that x-ray the checked luggage. (TSA?) They would not find it otherwise, both were buried deep inside for padding protection.

Have you lost anything to thieving baggage handlers?

Any suggestions on how to avoid it? Could not hand carry first aid, had sharps, liquids, etc.

Ya one time at New York airport. two bags with luggage and cloths

so when you travel with dive gear, most of you put your regs, guages, computers, and cmaeras.etc... in your carry -on and have no issues?

so when you travel with dive gear, most of you put your regs, guages, computers, and cmaeras.etc... in your carry -on and have no issues?
Less risk anyway. I've known of a camera being broken in a roll-on that had to be gate checked, and you could even have a gate-checked bag stolen if you get off the plane and it's already gone. I put the most breakable and most valuable things in my backpack/personal bag that never leaves my sight even at security gate, then pack as much of such gear in my roll-on - padded for handling, mark it with color ribbons, and try to be off the plane watching for it before it shows up. Unloading gate checked bags has slowed enough that I am always waiting.

Checked bags are always at risk of pilferage, theft, loss, etc. - and many airlines exclude liability on scuba gear, etc. Do your best, then if there is a loss, file your claims.

Yes I do. It is a heavy pain in the A$$, but I always allow 30 minutes more when going through TSA, so if they have issues, I've got time, and my most expensive stuff is with me at all times.

There was a post awhile back where someone actually wore their b/c onto the plane, and I think the OP indicated it was no different than a fishing vest or something like that. The OP also wore one of his computers on his wrist. DandyDon or Floatsam do you remember that post, it's been 18 months or so since I read it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom