Has any of your stuff been stolen by baggage handlers?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well.i dive alot,and am getting a bit "long in the tooth",and have opted the last year and this to take out dan insurance,as most of my diving is in asia,and usually far from the de-compresion chambers,so it will help with the bills,if that occures,and where i dive,there seem to be lots of current,down currents and the washing-machine ups and downs.....

also i have built my shack in the middle of a dry forest,so have insured my place ,only because of the bushfire risk.....

i travel so often,that i don't take travel insurance,because i would be paying out all the time....

One of my bags didn't make it to my destination. I reported it, American Airlines. I checked back at the airport the next day, the bag was there. I went out and picked it up. For the next 4 days I received a robo call from American apologizing for being unable to locate my luggage. I had to call 3 times before I finally got the robo calls to stop.

A couple of my friends had their bags rifled and stolen from as they passed through Puerto Rico. I've had no bad luck (knock on wood). Have had TSA lose my locks a couple of times. Nowadays my bags have built in locks and/or TSA locked luggage straps. This is advantageous for a couple of reasons . . . 1) TSA can't lose your lock (or as another poster said have them replace the wrong locks) 2) much harder for thieves to sereptitiously get into your zipped luggage. If you want to see what I'm talking about, here's a couple of demos. Break into and reseal a locked suitcase demonstration - YouTube and Is Your Luggage Safe from airport security? - YouTube

One of my bags didn't make it to my destination. I reported it, American Airlines. I checked back at the airport the next day, the bag was there. I went out and picked it up. For the next 4 days I received a robo call from American apologizing for being unable to locate my luggage. I had to call 3 times before I finally got the robo calls to stop.
You had to go get it, or it was eaier than waiting for delivery? I have seen airline agents take the claims and offer nothing even tho they are liable for whatever you need. Asking for a commitment on reimbursements may help, but really - it's an excuse for a shopping spree. Just be prepared to file those claims and argue if needed. Rental equipment and purchased clothes as needed should be covered.

It takes all the fun out when they delay your bag going home. :(

I went and got it. Once I knew where it was, I didn't want them losing it again. I was more aggravated by the robo calls telling me they hadn't found it after I had picked it up 3 days earlier. No one seemed to know how to shut the calls off.

Flying home from a business trip last year my husband had a guy take his suitcase from the baggage claim by mistake. Yes, a generic "they all look the same" suitcase. My husband always checks the tag to make sure it's his but he was delayed getting to the baggage claim and his suitcase was long gone by the time he got there. He waited and waited and this one lone bag that looked like his but wasn't kept going around. Finally he took the bag and checked out the id on it. Name, no address or phone number. So he opens it and discovers a bag with a change of clothes and filled with gifts, obviously for a family with a lot of kids. Cutsie stuff a dad might buy when he's been gone on a long trip for the kids that really missed him. It was about 1 am in the morning, no airline offices open and he couldn't find anyone to report it to so he brought the bag home. Early the next morning he gets a call.... "uh, I think I took your bag by mistake...." Poor guy got home and the kids got up that morning and he said, "I got you presents!" and opened *his* bag to discover a businessman's dirty laundry and nothing else. Except a well labeled bag that included a phone number. When he showed up at my husband's office to swap the bags he said he learned his lesson. ALWAYS check the tags and claim check numbers. lol I guess his kids were quite disappointed with the option of dirty laundry. (He wouldn't have brought it home if it had just been laundry but he knew this guy would be looking for his bag....)

Never had anything stolen but then I never put anything of value in checked luggage and refuse, REFUSE to go through security until I can see my carry-on passing through the x-ray at the same time. The only times I've had someone try to pilfer is when my stuff go out ahead of me.

Travel insurance. I always get it traveling to Africa, mainly for medical and repatriation of remains if my family so desires. I personally won't care.

In June had a $24 bottle of maple syrup stolen from checked luggage. Flew to L.A. yesterday and a $125 custom first aid kit in a Pelican box was stolen.

I think it is the guys that x-ray the checked luggage. (TSA?) They would not find it otherwise, both were buried deep inside for padding protection.

Have you lost anything to thieving baggage handlers?

Any suggestions on how to avoid it? Could not hand carry first aid, had sharps, liquids, etc.

A Canon SLR digital camera and an iPod...Flying from Atlanta (ATL) to Toronto, Canada (YYZ). Still pisses me off.

On three occasions .. One in Toronto, one in New Jersey and one in Cancun.
Toronto was Sunglasses, rechargeable batteries and their charger to the tune of about $250, NJ was a pair of shoes and a bottle of scotch value $300+ and Cancun was mask, snorkle and more rechargable batteries.

If TSA or the non US equivalent opens your checked bags they're supposed to leave a message telling you they were there.

Conde Naste had a fantastic article about three months ago regarding how your bags make it from check-in to the carousel on the other end. If you can find a copy of it, it's worth the read. They also provided tips on keeping thieves out. Taking precautionary measures, like making a list of the items in the bag and taking pictures is helpful.

We've had a number of well known cases here in LAX (third worst in the nation for thefts by TSA agents - TSA thefts: Top 20 airports includes LAX | abc7.com). While there may be cameras everywhere, the question is if people are watching those cameras, and in some cases, it becomes a group event - everyone's in on the deal. We also have our share of thefts done by baggage handlers, too, and who knows who else. Bags go through many hands. I've been lucky as I've never had anything stolen that had any value. I've heard of people loosing thousands of $$$ packed in their bags and I have to ask why anyone would be really expensive jewelry or money in luggage? You're creating a very tempting situation for someone. Not very smart.

Conde Naste had a fantastic article about three months ago regarding how your bags make it from check-in to the carousel on the other end. If you can find a copy of it, it's worth the read. They also provided tips on keeping thieves out. Taking precautionary measures, like making a list of the items in the bag and taking pictures is helpful.
They have several articles worth reading to any airline traveler...

The Problem with Airlines and Checked Baggage: On the Case : Condé Nast Traveler

Tips for Keeping your Suitcase Safe : Condé Nast Traveler

Know Your Rights: The Baggage Rules Airlines Have to Follow : Condé Nast Traveler

Baggage Blues: Four Real-Life Luggage Mishaps : Condé Nast Traveler

The Future of Baggage Handling Technology : Condé Nast Traveler

I've heard of people loosing thousands of $$$ packed in their bags and I have to ask why anyone would be really expensive jewelry or money in luggage? You're creating a very tempting situation for someone. Not very smart.
Yep. Making sure that you are insured beyond airlines' reduced liabilities for international flights can help, but jewerly, money, and medicine are never covered - should be in your Pedrsonal bag that is never gate checked or leaves your immediate control.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom