Hard Sole Booties for Bonaire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

spectrum

Dive Bum Wannabe
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
A number of recent posts suggest hard sole booties.

Do you mean just the basic rubber soled run of the mill neoprene dive booties worn with open heel fins or are you talking about something especially rigid?

Thanks,
Pete

maybe they mean something like these. They have much thicker soles then the run of the mill booties. I have these and they give great support!

I recommend the hard sole boots like the following, but also available from many different manufacturers:

BARE
Mares

I'm sure you can survive without them (I did) but you'll probably wish you had them on some of the entries. I won't go back without them.

i used regular dive booties and did fine

it's not sharpened steel out there

justleesa:
maybe they mean something like these. They have much thicker soles then the run of the mill booties. I have these and they give great support!

These are exactly what I have! The sole reminds me of a vibram sole for hiking and gives me a lot of confidence in my footing. I still have softer sole booties for snorkeling but with a back full of gear I want to feel SOLID.

If you aren't satisfied with what you bring these booties are sold at the Carib Inn on island.

Justleese - nice to see you on this side of the board!

The type Lisa & miesemer recommend are perfect for Bonaire. As Andy says, "it's not sharpened steel out there." OTOH, it is rock and most boots have soles that are perfect for walking across sand or strolling across a smooth boat deck. They are just too thin, you feel every rock on which you step. The soles you need aren't necessarily hard, but they are thicker than typical on a dive boot. You want a sole that is more like the sole of a typical shoe. A boot with a thicker sole can affect the fit of your fins.

Walter:
T The soles you need aren't necessarily hard, but they are thicker than typical on a dive boot. You want a sole that is more like the sole of a typical shoe. A boot with a thicker sole can affect the fit of your fins.

Absolutely take your fins with you when you buy booties! My "all terrains" won't fit in my snorkel fins.

The walk to the water line is easy with any kind of sole. Crossing uneven, slimy substrate while getting in is where the more substantial booties pay their way IMHO.

Some of my perspective may have to do with knees that aren't what they used to be....:)

Any of the ones mentioned above are fine. What you don't want are the ones that look more or less like socks that have a thin layer of rubber on the bottom. Like kids PJ's feet. Many of the sites can get really hard on the feet so without some good support on your feet, entries with gear on can be difficult.

I was pleasantly surprised to find my Chuck Taylor All-Stars work really well as dive booties..

But then again I also climbed Mout Fuji wearing a pair..

Back
Top Bottom