Hammerheads, 40m, no safety stop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just a quick question, aren't hammer heads very dangerous. I could be way off, we don't have them here and I heard they are not the most cuddly of sharks. I know I would be VERY nervous diving with them.

I am from Great White country and have dived right near shark alley, next to their fridge basically (Seal Island) and I was less nervous then if there were hammer heads around.

I personally would never attempt a solo dive either, but I am very new at this and the thought of that just scares me!

Spongebobscubasteve:
I am from Great White country and have dived right near shark alley, next to their fridge basically (Seal Island) and I was less nervous then if there were hammer heads around.

I would be far more concerned with great whites than hammerheads.

Great whites have killed divers in the past, commonly in the location you described, while I'm not aware of a hammerhead ever killing a diver (anyone care to fill me in?).

Tiger sharks (warm water) and Bull Sharks (murky river entrances) are two others to watch out for: but cute little hammerheads? They are the puppy dogs of the sea - albeit uglier and with far, far more teeth. :D

Cheers,
Rohan.

Spongebobscubasteve:
Just a quick question, aren't hammer heads very dangerous. I could be way off, we don't have them here and I heard they are not the most cuddly of sharks. I know I would be VERY nervous diving with them.

In my opinion diving with Hammerheads may not be the same as diving with Bulls, Tigers or GW's.

There was got to be a better way or a better place to see hammerheads, could also try the Texas Flower Gardens In February.

GW are actually not all that agressive, yes they have killed divers before, but mostly spearfisherman. They are more inquisative than anything else. Sure, being inquisative with a row of razor sharp teeth is not that safe.

I just always heard that HH hunted in packs and were dangerous. Sounds like my sources were way off base.

I would also never enter the water anywhere near a Bull Shark, they are dangerous buggers!!!!

Wasn't it a hammerhead that got Felix Leiter?

DandyDon:
A little overstated, perhaps - as that could imply that one should never seek new experiences and ask to discuss the dive plan in advance.

The dive mentioned by the OP is a bad idea, and while diving 120 m on air like WesTexDiver mentioned doing can certainly be done in a safe manner - this dive is not one of them. :D

Don, Your age is kicking in finally! :wink: He said 40m, not 120m. 120m is roughly 396ft. :)

Kim:
Wasn't it a hammerhead that got Felix Leiter?
:lol3:

Another James Bond Fan! Actually, I think it looked more like a Mako in that scene, but I could be wrong. BTW, Jack Lord's Felix back in Sean Connery's days was much cooler...

:sharkattack:

Back
Top Bottom