Hammerheads, 40m, no safety stop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

shellbackdiver1

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Just off the east coast of Taiwan lies Green Island. During the winter months hammerhead sharks gather in the area. I have been told to see the sharks a diver must endure a very bad boat ride and fight current that goes down and across to unknown depths.

I have been offered a chance to go see the sharks but....the plan (per the boat captain) is to descend immediately to 40 plus meters, grab a hold of whatever you can and wait until you have enough air to surface only. Due to the extremely strong and dangerous downward current everybody is a solo diver. No DSLR's. No safety stop because the water is too choppy for the boat and the current is so strong you might drift out of sight. Visibility is typically 20-30 meters in the area.

40 meters deep with no safety stop. Hmmm....what do you think? I have declined only because we will not stay as a group and do a safety stop. Would you do the dive?

no way pedro....

Sounds like a ballsy dive. Personally I don't like sharks enough to do that one but I am a wimp. I would check with others who have done it and get their advice. Based on your comfort level you may go for it. The main issue of concern is the possibility of not being found if you can't get back to the boat.

hmmm... risk being swept away and stranded in the ocean to see some hammerheads

Sorry pal, but you should no better than that. Plus, no safety stop or buddies that's just asking for trouble.

Hi Shellback:

I'm curious, where did the Captain think you were going to see the sharks? On the bottom?

If the bottom is 40M, the viz is max 30M, what happens if the sharks are all in the first 10M? From what I've seen of schooling Hammerheads, don't they cluster in the water column between 5 and 20 meters?

BTW, are you looking for suggestions of a "safe" way to do this dive, assuming it could be done?

Thanks...

sounds stupid. Why can't you deploy a lift bag from a reel or spool and do a short drifting deco/safety stop. If the currents are strong this seems safer than just comming up fast

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom