Hammerheads, 40m, no safety stop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

seriously....

dives like that (notice I am adventure seeker qualified) can be done safely. Your responsibilty as an Adventure Seeker is to take charge of these unenlightened divers and construct a plan that is safe "enough". Ascending in a ring, like skydivers, with the stop done drifting as a group, SMB deplyed is the appropriate way.

I just formulated that...which is why I am an adventure diver.

All that is left here is to brief the captain.

The OP's issues:
shellbackdiver1:
...and fight current that goes down and across to unknown depths.

...Due to the extremely strong and dangerous downward current everybody is a solo diver.

...40 meters deep with no safety stop. Hmmm....what do you think? I have declined only because we will not stay as a group and do a safety stop.
An "interesting" response:
catherine96821:
seriously....

...Your responsibility as an Adventure Seeker is to take charge of these unenlightened divers and construct a plan that is safe "enough". Ascending in a ring, like skydivers, with the stop done drifting as a group, SMB deployed is the appropriate way.

I just formulated that...which is why I am an adventure diver.

All that is left here is to brief the captain.
Uh Huh....

First, as briefed, DON'T do the dive. Second, see my first suggestion.

Third, if you can't be talked out of it, do it on EAN to minimize bottom risk and consider using a second and hotter mix for deco if you plan on spending any time deep (consider using a slower ascent profile to avoid a stop).

So, get yourself about a 50 kg or more ballast weight (at the very least), clip it to a 7 mm line running to a surface float with 20 kg or more of lift. Set it up on the site and make damn sure it can hold a diver (or divers) in the current without difficulty. Use it to descend and "pull" back up, if needed.

Back the boat down to the float with a 30 m drift line. Set up divers in singles or pairs, rotating. First pair goes down, hits the bottom, begins the ascent. "Oh, look Ethyl, all the pretty sharks, aren't they cute?" When the first pair surfaces they come off the float, swim to the drift line and the next pair begins the descent. If the pair that surfaces misses the drift line, the unanchored boat chases them down and returns to wait at the surface float for the next pair. Have a safety swimmer on the surface "just in case" (hope he or she is not shy about sharks :D).

Using the ballast weight and float will at least "fix" a position. On the other hand, if you wanted to "drift" through the sharks, it could be exciting.

Either way, lots of risks for this little job. The margin for error is VERY tight and the conditions VERY unforgiving.

BTW, this was an entirely hypothetical scenario discussion and in no way would I recommend, encourage or participate in such an activity.

Keep that in mind....

shellbackdiver1:
...descend immediately to 40 plus meters...wait until you have enough air to surface only...everybody is a solo diver...No safety stop
Stupidity should not, and rarely does, go unrewarded. :coffee:

Drewski...
your method is acceptable.

Are you making fun of safe "enough".

Come on...If the stops are performed and a marker is used, and the divers are skilled, and the boat works...

These dives are done and are available for those who seek them.

It is obviously his decision...My point is that as a diver, you need to break the risks down, prioritize them and be comfortable affecting/ constructing the plan and not be a passive "recipient" of dive plans.

When traveling to other "worlds" your options should include asking for modifications based on what you deem a satisfactory dive plan.

I see it over and over...people have options other than "take it or miss it" and I would like to see divers consider empowering themselves by requesting whatever changes they deem would improve the practice of diving.

Pulling yourself down a line in strong currents is not practical and not very safe. It would be much easier to just free descend while drifting, do the dive and then use a lift bag to mark your decompression location.

If there is no line to counteract the strong current, then you have to figure a large amount of drift during the time it takes to descend. Then, re-calculate the drift based on the ascent time. If you cut the ascent time, cutting the drift, then you are inviting trouble. If you don't, you are inviting trouble, too.

The dive plan is true. This is a "local" dive plan. Just to clarify the descent down to 40 meters lands you on the top of a sea mountain. The down draft current I guess is at the edge of the sea mount which is where the sharks are located. I asked about a drift line to use for the safety stop but the answer is no.

I called around and last night and found another group of non-locals that do the dive. They only do it though when the conditions are near perfect and yes, a group safety stop is included.

Think the majority of the votes would say don't do it? Personally I would rather watch flies doing it than to do that dive. Common sence would tell you don't, your machismo may tell you otherwise. If you must see hammerheads, go to Cocos Island in Costa Rica. Plenty of hammerheads to see there and not nearly half the risk as this dive. Just my two cents.

dive_lover88:
I know you did not do the dive, but just curious, does the vessel have it's own decom chamber? And hw long does the Coast Guard will take to get there in case of emergency?

:rofl3: :rofl3: :rofl3:

Come to NC and dive with sand tigers if you want to do some great and SAFE shark diving.

Are your sure the boat is actually a dive boat and not a shark fishing boat and you are the chum???

Back
Top Bottom