Hammerheads, 40m, no safety stop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

There are too many dangerous situations strung togeather in 1 dive. Anyone of which could end badly. I would not do the dive. Something doesn't add up about the scenario. Are they just yanking your chain? If not then I wonder how many people end up Hammerhead bait.

shellbackdiver1:
Just off the east coast of Taiwan lies Green Island. During the winter months hammerhead sharks gather in the area. I have been told to see the sharks a diver must endure a very bad boat ride and fight current that goes down and across to unknown depths.

I have been offered a chance to go see the sharks but....the plan (per the boat captain) is to descend immediately to 40 plus meters, grab a hold of whatever you can and wait until you have enough air to surface only. Due to the extremely strong and dangerous downward current everybody is a solo diver. No DSLR's. No safety stop because the water is too choppy for the boat and the current is so strong you might drift out of sight. Visibility is typically 20-30 meters in the area.

40 meters deep with no safety stop. Hmmm....what do you think? I have declined only because we will not stay as a group and do a safety stop. Would you do the dive?

You will only have roughly 5min. of bottom time at 40m/130ft on air before you have a manditory decompression obligation. Using an 80cf tank I can stay beyond the no-decompression limits at 130ft. There is no way I would do that dive. To many risks involved not to do the dive properly.

I think someone is pulling your leg a bit on this one. If all what you're told about the conditions is true, there must be a long list of divers who didn't return.....yet the operator still takes divers there? hmmmmm
I would go along on the boat just to see it, not necessarily dive it though.

I wouldn't do the dive. First, I am assuming this is being done on a single tank (no idea on the size). Second, with the depth alone, you wouldn't have that much bottom time. Third with the strong current, and staying close together, you will be burning through the air at depth.

I would thumb this dive before ever signing up for it.

If the water is too choppy for the boat, then what is the boat doing there?

Forget it. Too many possible problems. Try Tobago from January to March. Easy to watch the hammerhead migration from about 12m-18m.

is there a line?

If so, you could just do the stop. If not, you could all drift the stop together in a ring formation...with SMB's.

You know...safety in numbers.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom