Hammerheads, 40m, no safety stop?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As i know my limitations.. Nope, I wouldnt dive.
No buddy, danger of drifting off, currents that leads to unknown depths..
No thanks, Im not THAT keen on being eaten by a shark :p

I wouldnt really mind getting the opportunity to see some sharks, but in this case it sounds like its not very safe due to the conditions you need to dive in..

DandyDon:
Since this thread has gone to caca anyway, don't forget that deer, elk, and moose kill many more Americans than sharks do. Don't know about the other continents.
Here in Norway the animal that kill most people every year is indeed the moose..
Then again, we dont have (much) sharks and venomous critters. However there is things like bear, wolf, lynx and in certain areas the infamous polar bear..

Oh we have 4 venomous (that gawd you didn't say poisonous) snake species in the US - all of which can be found in Texas, but they seldom cause a problem. Just try to not touch them. I do hate to come across a black cow lose on the hiway at night, as they often don't look up until you're close - giving you a glimse of their eyes.
charge.gif

DandyDon:
Since this thread has gone to caca anyway, don't forget that deer, elk, and moose kill many more Americans than sharks do. Don't know about the other continents.

A halibut almost finished me off last week.

But it could have been the sauce.

bubblemonkey:
Badgers and squirrels in the UK.
\
Beware the badger, a much underestimated foe in my book.

Badger.gif

Drewski:
Hi Shellback:

I've been thinking about the description of your location and I'm interested in the dynamics and water properties for area.

Most seamounts are locations where upwelling occurs. Water pushes in a bottom current toward an ascending sea floor or wall face and then "upwells" toward the surface. This brings plankton upward, attracts feeders and smaller fish, ultimately attracting sharks. Surface currents flow around features but can mix violently when pushing into other currents. Large tidal changes can create salt water "wedges" that under ride lower salinity water when moving in and out, but this usually only occurs in sea bottoms with flow restrictions (bays, rivers, etc.).

A "downward" running current occurring on an open ocean seamount in tropical waters, especially a current that runs down the side of the feature, strikes me as unusual (please don't get me wrong here, I'm NOT questioning if it's actually the case, I'm just curious as to how it works).

Anything else "special" going on like two surface currents colliding or "under riding," unusual salinity, differences in water temperature, etc?

Sounds like an interesting place...

The end of this month i'm using the same boat for a underwater photography contest. Were not going to the shark area! I will use every single bit of my broken Chinese to communicate and find out more. Other then that I can only tell you what the local dive group have said "strong downdraft" and what a group of foreign instructors have said "very very strong downdraft on a sea mount". Heavy seas as well.

Photo contest = 100% solo divers, right? Hope you can take a wing man.

Just read, over 100 killed by deer collisions in the US last year. :11:

Dandydon

If you decide to come to old blighty, get a sign thats says "Keep Left" and stick it to the middle of the steering wheel, it works wonders.

Be very carefull crossing the roads, look RIGHT, as thats the other danger moment.

victor:
Be very carefull crossing the roads, look RIGHT, as thats the other danger moment.
Yup......that's a corker.

The first time I ever went to Amsterdam I nearly got mown down by a tram because I looked the wrong way!!! I still see the whites of the tram drivers eyes in my dreams sometimes! :11:

victor:
Dandydon

If you decide to come to old blighty, get a sign thats says "Keep Left" and stick it to the middle of the steering wheel, it works wonders.

Actually, I used 3 - 1"x2" labels that said Stay Left when I drove around Ireland for a week. Upper left windshield, upper right windshield, and on the speedometer. Worked pretty good until after pub time. :shakehead Was probably a good time to not drive at all. The rental car people got a good chuckle out of the stickers when I turned it in.

I couldn't wear my hat in the car, of course, but it rode on the passenger side head rest - a good indicator that I was not a local driver. :cowboy:

Back
Top Bottom