Halcyon Cinch - Plate Alternative

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TightLines

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Did some searching around and rumor has it the ScubaPro plates are compatible with the cinch system.

Anyone aware of other plates compatible with the cinch and other Halcyon components?

Can't bring myself to pay the Halcyon premium on a plate strictly for travel.

Thanks in advance.

Scubapro and Halcyon source their plates from the same manufacturer so it is not a surprise that the cinch system is compatible on the Scubapro plates. I am not aware of any other manufacturers purchasing from that supplier, but could be wrong. Tobin has his own version of the Cinch system for his plates though the kydex plates are certainly not a cheap option for travel, but do fare much better in the salt water due to their SS spine and nature of the kydex. You do save a substantial amount of money if you purchase the package directly from Tobin with a wing and he has some incredibly small travel wings.
https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1340
This is the cinch alternative itself, and you are best to give him a call to discuss plate and wing options if you are considering buying a new wing.

Kydex Plates ~$215
Full setup $460 with cam bands and a harness, so you are saving quite a bit since the wings are about $300 separately.

Thanks for the quick response and information.

I'm already diving Halcyon so unfortunately a switch to another brand would be costly. I'm just looking to save a few bucks on an aluminum plate for travel (vs the SS I have now).

Thanks again.

UDT has something similar to a cinch that works with any plate.

[video=youtube;uiohItk1wNw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uiohItk1wNw[/video]

---------- Post added March 16th, 2015 at 12:16 PM ----------

Tobin has his own version of the Cinch system for his plates though the kydex plates are certainly not a cheap option for travel, but do fare much better in the salt water due to their SS spine and nature of the kydex.

The glide harness adapter only works with stainless steel plates not with the Kydex.

ahh, right, good call on that.

To the OP, if you're in bed with Halcyon it's best to just hunt around for a used plate or suck it up and buy a new one. The unfortunate thing with Halcyon and their wings is you are bound to the STA which can limit your travel since you are forced to carry the extra 2lbs back there. You can make your own cinch system if you wanted to out of a couple D-rings and a piece of webbing, would end up similar to the Dive Rite Transpac Tec that was out for a little while, but it technically remains a 1 piece harness. You can also put a plastic QD on the shoulder strap of one side if you feel like you need the cinch to get out of it more readily, not DIR, but for travel it isn't the end of the world.

They just got a bunch of the Halcyons at the aquarium where I volunteer. I'm not impressed with the cinch. It is much more difficult to adjust than my Agir Harpa sliders or Tobins. Also SubGravity just came out with sliders for any plate at only $20 each. I plan to pick up a couple of them. You can't beat their quality and they don't charge a premium for putting a big H on their stuff.

iPhone. iTypo. iApologize.

Thanks for the quick response and information.

I'm already diving Halcyon so unfortunately a switch to another brand would be costly. I'm just looking to save a few bucks on an aluminum plate for travel (vs the SS I have now).

Thanks again.

I've got one on the way that I may not need, want me to let you know?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mine has been up on the closet shelf for a couple of years. It doesn't do anything for me that a standard webbing harness won't. Someday I'll get around to trying to sell it.

My cinch is also seating in my dive accessory box. I initial bought it for my GF but after a short while, she also prefer simple fixed webbing. Someday I will ditch it up and sell it too

The glide harness adapter only works with stainless steel plates not with the Kydex.

No need for a Glide Harness Adapter on a Kydex Plate. The Kydex plates flex enough that even doubles won't trap the webbing on the back side of the plate.

If you polish the slots slightly and *don't* fit a triglide on the tank side of the plate the webbing will slide on a kydex plate. No additional parts or gizmos required.

Tobin

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom