Back Plate and Wing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuba127

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've been diving a DSS Steel Backplate and Wing for years. Lately I've been having back pain when I dive this rig. When I dive side mount with my Hollis side mount rig no problem. Once I switch back to single tank on the steel back plate I start having back pain problems again. This occurs even with a consistent physical training program and pain meds while on a dive trip. Has anyone switched to a soft back plate system in response to steel back plate diving pain and, more importantly, did it work?
Thanks in advance.

Is there a reason you don't want to just stay in your SM rig?

To add some additional advance followup questions to @Eric Sedletzky 's ...

Are you donning the SM tanks in the water?

Does your BM rig cary the tank weight on you hips or the shoulders?

What size DSS plate and how long is your torso.

Pain is both upper and lower back. I've had 2 shoulder and 2 bicep surgeries that healed up well and I have full range of motion. I typically side mount for solo or tech dives. Recreational dives with a buddy I go back to single tank back plate and wing. DSS plate is a medium I believe. DSS company owner recommended the plate size based on the physical measurements I gave him at the the time.

Maybe your back is more arched with the tank on your back?

Thats what my Tec Instructor said.....he recommended trying a soft plate but I wanted see if anyone else had made the switch and if it helped....I really hate to give up on the steel plate after 10 plus years of using it but maybe no other choice...

Carrying the weight if the rig on the shoulders rather than on the hips might be the cause. I had a professionally (mis-)sized backpack cause me no end of pain on a series of longish day hikes. The pack was simply too short and had the weight to bear on my shoulders, causing them to hurt. To compensate, I was arching my back to try to shorten my effective torso length to transfer the weight to my hips. That caused my back to hurt. That was when I was in my mid-20s ... The solution was the correctly sized, longer pack!

From what I've seen, one piece harnesses and standard plates seem to put the waist-belt more at the belly-level than the hips and overall do a poor job of providing effective above-the-surface weight bearing. Doesn't really matter too much if you are back-rolling in and taking your rig off in the water. But if you are older/injured and shore diving or doing much more than standing and dropping off the boat, it can take its toll.

I would suggest taking a careful look at your rig, adjust it if you can, but a longer plate and a harness with fixed belt attachment that can take a good bit of the weight may be helpful.

OP, you might have a look at the Dive Rite Transplate harness. It distributes the weight better. I have one on my new rebreather. Really like it.

Back
Top Bottom