Petrel 2 5-pin as a secondary ppO2 monitor?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JackZwykle

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello world. :)

I happened upon a Petrel 2 with hardwired 5-pin (DiveCan). I am currently using it as a BO secondary for my CCR dives, without any connection to the main unit.
I am trying to see if I can connect a third cell, ideally a solid one to it and what it would take.
(I know Poseidon cells will not work with Petrel, but there are at least two others on the market already - Diving O2 sensor)

Did anyone around attempt at connecting a 5-pin to standalone cells, including galvanic ones by any chance?
It would make it a great independent ppO2 monitor.

Searching online brings very little info as to the DiveCan protocol compatibility.

Thank you in advance!

you would need to have a board to do the conversion. The DiveCAN versions don't read the cells directly unfortunately. There is some prototype stuff going around, but if you want to monitor those kinds of cells you either need to design the battery/board/box or get something that measures the cells directly.

you would need to have a board to do the conversion. The DiveCAN versions don't read the cells directly unfortunately. There is some prototype stuff going around, but if you want to monitor those kinds of cells you either need to design the battery/board/box or get something that measures the cells directly.
Yeah, I thought so, but why not ask those with experience.

Thank you for your time!

Hello world. :)

I happened upon a Petrel 2 with hardwired 5-pin (DiveCan). I am currently using it as a BO secondary for my CCR dives, without any connection to the main unit.
I am trying to see if I can connect a third cell, ideally a solid one to it and what it would take.
(I know Poseidon cells will not work with Petrel, but there are at least two others on the market already - Diving O2 sensor)

Did anyone around attempt at connecting a 5-pin to standalone cells, including galvanic ones by any chance?
It would make it a great independent ppO2 monitor.

Searching online brings very little info as to the DiveCan protocol compatibility.

Thank you in advance!
Arne Sieber seems to have a working solution. For me its very unclear though exactly where they are in their development process and how close they are to shipping/selling.

Anyone has more details on the status? There is a short video of a diver that has a petrel and seemingly one sensor connected.

Arne Sieber seems to have a working solution. For me its very unclear though exactly where they are in their development process and how close they are to shipping/selling.

Anyone has more details on the status? There is a short video of a diver that has a petrel and seemingly one sensor connected.
Great info! Thank you!
Although it looks like in my particular situation I will be swapping it for a Fisher version (less hassle and just works) - that is something I would definitely be following.

I don't want to start another fertilizer storm here, but one word - solid state.
Wait, that's two words. Then in two words - solid state future.
Oh wait, that's three words...

NOBODY EXPECTS THE SPANISH INQUISITIONNNN!
:wink:

Great info! Thank you!
Although it looks like in my particular situation I will be swapping it for a Fisher version (less hassle and just works) - that is something I would definitely be following.

I don't want to start another fertilizer storm here, but two words - solid state future.
Wait, that's three words. Then three words - solid state only future.
Oh wait, that's four words...

If you're going through and using a Fischer, you might consider a 4-pin. Wetmate connector, isn't a Fischer POS, more reliable.

Great info! Thank you!

I don't want to start another fertilizer storm here, but one word - solid state.
Wait, that's two words. Then in two words - solid state future.
Oh wait, that's three words...

this is true, and there is support starting from Tec.Me for this but getting it to talk directly with DiveCAN is much more complicated then having a standalone board spit out millivolts. There are also some cells coming out now that have the board and battery on the back of the cells as well which are drop in replacements for standard cells. It's the "easier" way of getting solid states on there.

If you're going through and using a Fischer, you might consider a 4-pin. Wetmate connector, isn't a Fischer POS, more reliable.

this is true, and there is support starting from Tec.Me for this but getting it to talk directly with DiveCAN is much more complicated then having a standalone board spit out millivolts. There are also some cells coming out now that have the board and battery on the back of the cells as well which are drop in replacements for standard cells. It's the "easier" way of getting solid states on there.
While trying to avoid storms not related to secondary ppO2 - do you have any information about those new "drop in" cells? Any links / manufacturer?

TIA

While trying to avoid storms not related to secondary ppO2 - do you have any information about those new "drop in" cells? Any links / manufacturer?

TIA
Seems most people are under NDAs for them. This would be the website afaik: Start | OXYGEN Scientific

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom