Hair Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Originally posted by GP

Hey I'm bald too...maybe I'll have to order one your Dee-Rags!:D

Every hair-challenged diver should have one...or two! New fabric selections are on the website and more will be added soon.

Hi,

I actually have a question that is more geared toward what kind
of style works better for not having an hour long untangling session after the dive, especially in warm water situations when she doesn't wear a hood.

My wife's hair is pretty long (middle of back)& she has tried a number of methods, but nothing seems to work. Is there a pre treatment or something that can be done?

Someone call the hair :doctor:

Rod

Originally posted by rbeckwith
Hi,

I actually have a question that is more geared toward what kind
of style works better for not having an hour long untangling session after the dive, especially in warm water situations when she doesn't wear a hood.

My wife's hair is pretty long (middle of back)& she has tried a number of methods, but nothing seems to work. Is there a pre treatment or something that can be done?

Someone call the hair :doctor:

Rod

Have you read all the way through this thread? It pretty well covers everything from long hair to no hair problems.

I have beyond waist length hair that is fine and snarly even when dry. I've found what works best for me is a low ponytail that doesn't interfere with anything and I always wear a hood, even in warm water. You can get thin hoods that aren't neoprene. Some of the caps that were suggested sound like a similar idea. I tuck the length of the ponytail in my wetsuit if that's what I'm wearing. If I'm in drysuit I just leave it loose. Not too much of a bother.

humble advice from someone with elbow-length hair who spends lots of time in the water:

i have several options i use, depending on what i am doing, but there is one common denominator: coconut oil. it is the lifeblood of my hair. leave-in conditioners don't cut it, and virgin coconut oil comes straight from a coconut, so it's not something that the critters will hate. it will not wash out until you shampoo, and there's a reason that polynesian women have beautiful hair (besides good genes). i comb a couple of handfuls in before putting my hair up, concentrating on the ends.

if i am swimming, snorkeling, or diving, i put my hair in a high ponytail, but on the last pass of the rubber band tightening, i don't pull the hair all the way through, instead leaving it in a topknot with fringes sticking out of the top. it's like a bun in that there's no hair to fly around and get stuck in things, and it gives my mask strap a little something extra to grab onto instead of falling off. it's also easy to take up and down, as needed: low-maintenance.

the worst thing for my hair is surfing, which is like being in a washing machine, so at that point i resort to pigtail braids, which are the only true way to keep things from going insane in the face of adversity.

there you have it.

I'm not a woman, but I have hair that is very long. Someone told me once that if you rinse your hair in some fresh water befor getting into the salt water, it wil help protect your hair. I tried it and it sure makes a difference in "after dive" hair. I also carry a bottle of Infusium in my dive bag and put some in after diving while on the boat. It sure helps.

My hair used to get tangeled up with my snokel holder. I solved that problem by getting an Sherwood Avid snorkel. It great because it folds up, so you can hook it to your bc, or put it in your BC pocket. Plus its less drag, every time you turn your head your not dragging a snorkel along with you. I would highly recommend it. And I definitley recomend it over going without a snorkel!
:thinkingo

I don't actually see what I do listed in the thread so I thought I'd throw it out there. I use the same method for diving that I do for skiing.

Being a guy, I have absolutely no ability to braid, and when I do, it always falls out. I throw 3 pony tail elastics at the top of the pony tail, and then put elastics every 3 or 4 inches down.

Of course I don't have bangs to fight with.

-Jeff

Hi, think I saw a request for info on ScubaDoRags
try: www.cococheznaynay.com
(Secret Agent of Truth and Style)

Sorry to set up a rival to Dee's Rags :wink:

Thanks for the advice on Slap Straps, I've gotta get me one of them

Tootlepip

My wife has long, fine hair, She wears a swwim cap, but it is just thin stretchy nylon, not a big latex thing. She has turned many people on to using the same, though you will look lioke a cone head ( but one with hair!)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom