Hair Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

=-) My best friend went through OW with me. She has very long, fine, naturally curly hair. She was in tears after every dive! Finally, we took a normal bandanna, cut some slits in it where the top would be, then tied it securely. She put her mask strap over the bandana and problem solved!The slits allowed the water to pass through and it never slipped back! Hope this helps!

I use a slap strap and keep my shoulder-length hair in a pony tail secured below the strap to keep the strap from sliding down (sometimes a pony above it pushes it off). My question is: Does anyone know how to keep the slap strap from sliding off of a slick rubber dry suit hood? I just started diving dry (still hate it) and am wondering if I am going to have to go back to the regular mask strap. Any suggestions?

Ber :bunny:

Since we are located in the heart of VA, we dive frequently in Quarries which for most of the year means dry suits! Stick On Velcro works great! It is disposable after at looses it's "stick", it's inexpensive, and can be found in just about any store that sells sewing notions OR believe it or not, stereo equipment! It's the same stuff you would use to keep your portable listening devices secured to the dash board or console! Hope this works for you!

Hey Ber... you will get the hang of drysuit diving soon... I'll have a hard time adjusting back to a wetsuit if I ever go anyplace warm!

-kate

Lisa,
Do you stick the velcro to the rubber of the dry suit hood? Is that bad for the rubber? Thanks for the clue! :)

Scubakat
I sure hope so, I've gotten REALLY good at hanging upside down and keeping track of all of my gear! I've also gotten good at getting out of the inverted position although I haven't mastered the STAYING out of it part! :wink:

Ber Rabbit
Yes, you put the little adhesive patches right on the hood and no, it is not bad for the rubber. As with any peice of gear, use caution and a gentle touch and don't let the hood with the adhesive velcro on it stay in direct sunlight or high heat as that makes the adhesive gummy and it will no longer adhere to either the hood or the other velcro srtip! If this happens, rub an ice cube over the sticky residue untill it comes off(like chewing gum in the hair)! Good Luck!

Looks like it's time for a trip to the store! Velcro here I come!

In my VAST experience (OWC + 4 dives), I have found that a rub with conditioner right out of the shower and into two low braids on the sides work best. I use the small covered bands that don't have metal on them, so they don't grab my hair. The best part is that they stay in well, so I don't have to deal with combing or tangles. They last until the after-dive shower, and my husband thinks they look kinda sassy... (Can never go wrong with sassy!!) I also agree that the fabric covered mask bands are the best - I switched after the first two days of pool work.
:tails:

I dive up to 7 times per week and have waist length hair... so I have been thru everything. The best I have found so far is to do about 12-16 small braids around my head (not quite cornrows, but small, free braids). It is the most comfortable... however, you do end up looking like Medusa under water. If your hair is long enough you can actually "knot" all the braids in the back at the nape of your next and tie or clip them - GREAT!

Otherwise, if I am lazy, I just do one braid or french braid down the back. I also do a barette-braid combination, but it takes some time to figure out where the barette should sit so it doesn't interfere with the mask (right at the crown works best for me). Also, the barette rusts and you go thru a LOT of them. I use the Goody hair elastics that don't have the metal in them now for securing my hair, they are nice.

I have to agree with the comment about conditioner! I have found that if I put some "leave in" conditioner in my hair before diving, it is much easier to comb out and rinse afterward.

I have never had any success with the mask strap covers (they slip on my hair) or leaving my hair down (rat's-nest central). Low pony tails work, but I still have to braid the rest. Hope this helps someone.

Originally posted by Dee
Wisconsin....Beast never goes under without his Dee-Rag on. It helps keep his head warm and protects his bald head on the surface.
Hey I'm bald too...maybe I'll have to order one your Dee-Rags!:D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom