Hair Problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SCUBA WIDOW

Reaction score
Greetings, Have you tried not putting anything in your hair? I have long layered hair, I find a ponytail or anything else in my hair annoying with the mask, so I just opt for nothing. Try just using the straps not the gizmo. Good Luck.

I find a bathing cap is great just as long as it is not over your ears. Yeah so you don't look beautiful but the fish have not complained once. Cher

Nothing in my hair either, but then, mine only goes to my shoulders. I do however put in some of the "deep conditioner" stuff (either cream or spray) in my hair before I jump in the pool. Sure it eventully washes out while I'm underwater, but it offers some protection for awhile. In open water -- naw, the fish can have a laugh, and the "scuba hair" gets covered with a hat during any surface time.

I tried Three rubberbands down the back of my hair and then a braid. This worked well. Since I'm new at this, hair is not what I want to worry about getting in my way. Thanks to the person that suggested it.

My hair is pretty long & I too do a braid. I french braid it which seems to work better than the traditional braid & it requires only a small hairband at the end...

I was just asking about hair problems in another post and I came across this one...

No matter whether I braid, ponytail, or whatever my hair, it always gets wrapped around the mask strap and I inevitably end up ripping it off.... I saw someone with a special mask strap that's by Seaquest (I think) that is a wide band that seems to protect the hair. Does anyone know anything about these?

Thanks.

Hi Alison,
I have one of those bands. It slides over the original band. I'm not so happy with it yet but then I've only tried it three times. It has to be better than the plain strap but it seems to slide a bit up and down over my hair. I tried leaving my hair free last night and from sliding that band back into place, well I was a mess of snarls! so back to braids or hair bands. Someone else wrote about a type of band that replaces the original. I'd like more info about it. Good luck,
Dawn

Thanks Dawn - any more info on what to do about long hair would be helpful.... I just don't want to wear a cap! :(

I have long hair and have tried numerous methods on trying to keep it from getting tangled in the mask and snarl free.
I use one of the cloth mask straps called "Slap Straps". Not the cloth cover but the full cloth strap. They're readily available at most dive shops... many of the shops put their logos on them. My hair has yet to get tangled in it. I've given up braiding because most of my hair falls out of the braid sooner or later and it's uncomfortable. Before going diving I wet my hair down and rub in a deep conditioner and don't rinse it out. After diving I don't even try to comb out my hair till after I've washed it and conditioned it. Then the tangles are gone.
Hope this helps! Scuba is definitely not a sport for "premadonnas" but ,I don't know about you... I'm not ready to shave my head yet! Casey

Thanks for the info, Caymancase - am off to the nearest dive shop to see if I can find one! I am by no means a prima donna, but just don't like ripping my hair out every time I have to remove my mask.

The conditioner thing sounds good too.

:)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom