Question “Good” warm water head cover/cap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doctor Rig

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
A full head covering has value for sun protection, hair management and warmth, of coarse. I’ve been using the neoprene cap, “SCAP” for years that has some terrific attributes, that I’ve not been able to find elsewhere. One unique SCAP attribute is its ability to be securely tied onto your head (without a chin strap), like a do rag. However the strap construction is crap…. when you pull the straps tight the strap stitching breaks making it harder to get it tight, and it starts coming apart. I’ve tried a number of diy fixes with limited success. The “SCAP” manufacturer apparently is aware of this product quality issue (I’ve sent related messages and gotten no response) and the design remains unchanged, as I’ve not noted any SCAP product offerings changes in the past several years.

i like the warmth factor of the neoprene cap, and in looking for a substitute I have only been able to find cotton or polyester/lycra do rags which are similar. After looking around for the past several years, I‘ve not found anything worth trying.

HELP: Anyone seen or use a good SCAP alternative worth considering? (Might be a new good product offering for someone.)

Sometimes I wear this

but without the beard

other than that I don't know what you have looked at that you can't find

Been using a regular 3mm hood with chin strap for years and never had a problem with the strap quality.

Edit: (I’m talking about the hood that ends over the ears not the ones that cover the neck).

PS: I don’t find a 3mm too warm for tropical warm water diving. I tend to sweat a lot from the head (moderate to heavy exercise makes me look like I just stepped out of a shower), and conversely I tend to lose a lot of heat from the scalp/head. So a hood is a standard part of my gear. IIRC There are also 1-2mm hoods available.

After a SB search, I found an older similar thread…… without resolution:

Neoprene bandana, I know you're out there​

@exr, @Sue Sue, @DandyDon, @BWDscott, @Diver Kat commented

I tried the SCAP multiple times but eventually gave up and went with a 3mm hood/cap with adjustable chin strap.

Hi @Doctor Rig

How about a beanie or a cap, these from scuba.com
1704129606941.png

I used to use a cap or a hood. Now, if I need the warmth, I just use my hooded vest.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom