Hello, new member resuming scuba diving after a long absence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@Gauornever are you south sound, Seattle, or north sound? I'm diving on average once a week at Redondo or in Tacoma and can show you some different lights. Most LDS have Big Blue and Sola available and they are stupid expensive for a "new" diver. Yes, Big Blue are fantastic, but they aren't needed for rec dives when there is more important gear to buy.

I'm one of those suckers who got talked into buying a Sola 1200 by my LDS when I first started diving. It's a quality light, but in hindsight I could've met my needs for both daytime and nighttime diving in the PNW at much lower cost. I almost never use the Sola in flood mode -- it's impossible to signal and you end up blinding the critters and other divers. Maybe flood mode is useful for photography? Also, the Sola has a sealed internal battery that can only be charged by plugging into an outlet, meaning you can't swap out batteries in between dives.

@Gauornever are you south sound, Seattle, or north sound? I'm diving on average once a week at Redondo or in Tacoma and can show you some different lights. Most LDS have Big Blue and Sola available and they are stupid expensive for a "new" diver. Yes, Big Blue are fantastic, but they aren't needed for rec dives when there is more important gear to buy.
North Seattle. Have only dove at Cove 1 and 2, and Mukilteo so far. I already ordered the S20 based on your rec and other online recs LOL. Unfortunately probably not going to be able to Dive for a few weeks now as we have upcoming conflicts. Maybe DM you in April if we can get down that way? Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom