GUE and Sidemount position ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right. Same principle applied to CCR, but using at the time "untried, unconventional & novel" LOLA Valves in a DIR system.

My point is I'm contending that they're trying the similar approach with doubles sidemount. . .

They might be but no one else seems to know anything about it or seems to care. I don't know of anyone who thinks it is a good idea. They sure haven't chimed in here. There are some GUE divers who have commented on this thread and they seem to think that it isn't being done either. You won't post the guys name so what are we to believe?

They might be but no one else seems to know anything about it or seems to care. I don't know of anyone who thinks it is a good idea. They sure haven't chimed in here. There are some GUE divers who have commented on this thread and they seem to think that it isn't being done either. You won't post the guys name so what are we to believe?
If GUE wants to officially remain private on this for now, then that's the way it's gonna be.

Doesn't mean there cannot be any discussion on how such a sidemount system would work just because you and the "rank and file consensus" dismissively thinks it isn't a good idea or worth care about exploring.

If GUE wants to officially remain private on this for now, then that's the way it's gonna be.

Doesn't mean there cannot be any discussion on how such a sidemount system would work just because you and the "rank and file consensus" dismissively thinks it isn't a good idea or worth care about exploring.

Have fun because I doubt anyone is going to have the discussion you want. The large majority of the sidemount community laughs at the UTD Z manifold and this has been beaten to death. Just remember the 2 largest concentration of GUE divers that I know of are in High Springs and the Playa area of Mexico. Sidemount is fairly common in these areas and there are GUE divers who are diving it without a manifold of any kind. Why would they change? What is to be gained except complicating a simple and reliable system. If you want more redundancy just carry another stage. I am done with this as I don't see anything to be learned here. Keep talking up the Z manifold and you might convince yourself that it really is the best system.

Seattle has a fairly good sized GUE community. One of the divers (C1 I think, but not an instructor) said (and how she knows, I don't know) that GUE is working on their own sidemount program and trying to figure out how to integrate it with its existing policies.

That said, IF GUE is working on a sidemount program, I would be surprised if they were less secretive, as let's face it, anything that gets leaked is going to be analyzed on social media by people without all the information and it is going to be a lot of drama that I think GUE would understandably want to avoid.

Let's face it, there are a lot of people who would love to take shots at them. Best to keep things under wraps until all issues have been addressed and they have vetted information on the what and whys.

Right. Same principle applied to CCR, but using at the time "untried, unconventional & novel" LOLA Valves in a DIR system.

My point is I'm contending that they're trying the similar cautious approach with doubles sidemount. . .
Nah. Lola was in use years before the jjccr program was even in beta.

I seent it.

It's not about GUE "copying" UTD's manifold. . .

Objectively again, the point is as a means to retain the DIR Long Hose Paradigm, there has to be a way of physically interconnecting the two tanks in double cylinder sidemount
. Otherwise you just have double independent cylinders which not compatible with GUE's fundamental precepts and protocol in DIR team diving, and a technique which they will never officially endorse.

The fact that GUE uses LOLA valves on their JJ CCR configuration, and that one of their Instructor Evaluator's is working with these valves as a potential solution in doubles & stage sidemount diving is compelling and worthy of discussion (and to get this thread back on track).

Honestly, why are you always so interested in what GUE is doing and why they might be doing it, when you are not a GUE diver? Unless we've missed hearing about your course lately? Why do you feel the need to appear to be some kind of insider to GUE on multiple threads over multiple years? You can disappear as you do each time you're questioned, or maybe you can actually answer?

Honestly, why are you always so interested in what GUE is doing and why they might be doing it, when you are not a GUE diver? Unless we've missed hearing about your course lately? Why do you feel the need to appear to be some kind of insider to GUE on multiple threads over multiple years? You can disappear as you do each time you're questioned, or maybe you can actually answer?
The OP wanted to know GUE's position on sidemount diving. I'm only relating to what I was told by a GUE Instructor Evaluator, and to find any corroboration here -and not some ascription to being an "insider" as you imply @Ayisha . And I'm not going answer on the name of that IE for respect of confidentiality -whether that account s/he told me eventually turns out to be true, or is in reality red-herring disinformation all along. . .

To be honest there are a lot more non gue divers that gue divers think they are 'in the know'.

Most of the gue guys I met are just concentrating on doing there diving rather than discussing the philosophy of there system.

Why would they change?

Consistency and scalability in a framework that interoperates well with the backmount training paradigm.

It's not about GUE "copying" UTD's manifold. . .

Objectively again, the point is as a means to retain the DIR Long Hose Paradigm, there has to be a way of physically interconnecting the two tanks in double cylinder sidemount.
Otherwise you just have double independent cylinders which not compatible with GUE's fundamental precepts and protocol in DIR team diving, and a technique which they will never officially endorse.

You say its a technique they don't endorse yet they do endorse it. Its clearly stated in the Quest articles that they endorse it. They just don't teach it as part of their syllabus. UK cave/sump divers almost exclusively use it. But they also almost exclusively dive solo as well. I honestly don't think just connecting them together with a manifold is going suddenly make it viable.

What worries me is that people almost always have the attitude that GUE is going to tell you how to dive for the rest of life. Like they would stop you pursuing Technical Sidemount or Front mounted Rebreather or anything else you fancied. Yes they have a team diving approach and part of that mindset is that people use the same equipment. I get it and it works. But to say that you then have to dive like that for the rest of your life is crazy. You get taught how to weigh up the advantages and disadvantages and select the correct tool for the job.

You think if I go on holiday and rent a jacket bc/regs someone is going to take my card and shred it?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom