GUE and Sidemount position ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Not what I was referring to.

There's a "skill" where a sidemount diver donates one of their sidemount cylinders to an out of gas buddy. Frequently this is done in conjunction with the out of gas diver giving one of their sidemount cylinders back to you at the same time. Many people mistakenly think it's something they could do in a real life emergency, but in a real out of gas scenario it probably won't work out that well and will likely just increase the stress in the out of gas diver. A simpler, and more manageable solution, would be to just donate a second stage that is on a long hose to your out of gas buddy and begin your ascent/exit.

But some people think it's a great idea to fix skills deficiencies by introducing equipment problems.
What about being on scooters in a cave? (Non-cave diver asking)

Same procedure as being in backmount doubles on a scooter in a cave. Link up, OOG diver in front piloting, donor in back.

Same procedure as being in backmount doubles on a scooter in a cave. Link up, OOG diver in front piloting, donor in back.

we have OOG in back being towed. Donor more likely to have a clear head on the way out for navigation. Probably doesn't matter realistically since if you end up sharing air in sidemount out of necessity vs. convenience, something really wonky happened on that dive. You're going to have a faster exit on 2 dpv's than with 1, so we try to keep everyone separate if at all possible to get out of dodge

we have OOG in back being towed. Donor more likely to have a clear head on the way out for navigation. Probably doesn't matter realistically since if you end up sharing air in sidemount out of necessity vs. convenience, something really wonky happened on that dive. You're going to have a faster exit on 2 dpv's than with 1, so we try to keep everyone separate if at all possible to get out of dodge

Or scooter side by side air sharing, which I was taught in order to cover every possible way that people do it but seems like a really bad idea to me.

Or scooter side by side air sharing, which I was taught in order to cover every possible way that people do it but seems like a really bad idea to me.
One of the worst ideas in the history of ideas, maybe ever.

Now, now, gentlement, let's be fair in our exchange. If men could do it with muscets, surely, we can manage with keyboards.

The reason I'd personally prefer to keep the OOG diver in front is because in a backmounted scenario, it makes a difference - R/P rolloff is impossible, L/P rolloff is immediately detectable and manageable by the same body.

The reason I'd prefer it the same way in sidemount is it's possible to do the same thing regardless of system, ensuring consistency.

My preference, followed by reason why.

Now, now, gentlement, let's be fair in our exchange. If men could do it with muscets, surely, we can manage with keyboards.

The reason I'd personally prefer to keep the OOG diver in front is because in a backmounted scenario, it makes a difference - R/P rolloff is impossible, L/P rolloff is immediately detectable and manageable by the same body.

The reason I'd prefer it the same way in sidemount is it's possible to do the same thing regardless of system, ensuring consistency.

My preference, followed by reason why.

I like the OOG diver in front simply because it's nigh close to impossible for the donor to lose the OOG buddy. Having the OOG diver hanging onto a crotch strap while getting towed out seems like there's a realistic risk of having the OOG diver fall off and the donor not catch it until it's too late.

Additionally if the donor (being in the rear position) does get away from the receiver at least the reg will be in front of and visible to the donor. Easier to establish control of that regulator when you can see it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom