GUE and Sidemount position ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GUE teaches a sidemount class that's highly specialized and not regularly scheduled in their general course offerings. The prerequisite is Cave 2 and a "need to know" request for learning the techniques of passing through overhead restrictions within the DIR paradigm. Otherwise as a business, training & product model, and in contrast to UTD, they see no reason to currently market a sidemount course or advertise any additional equipment besides the Halcyon Contour sidemount harness for general recreational open water scuba.

For doubles sidemount, they utilize Lola cylinder valves with a flexible crossbar interconnection routing in front of the diver at chest level between the two cylinders.
Where are you getting that info?

Where are you getting that info?
Ask a GUE Instructor Evaluator/Trainer to comment and see what DIR sidemount apologist opinions they have in common . . . (You're closer to GUE HQ: why can't you get any objective info to share at all? ).

GUE teaches a sidemount class that's highly specialized and not regularly scheduled in their general course offerings. The prerequisite is Cave 2 and a "need to know" request for learning the techniques of passing through overhead restrictions within the DIR paradigm. Otherwise as a business, training & product model, and in contrast to UTD, they see no reason to currently market a sidemount course or advertise any additional equipment besides the Halcyon Contour sidemount harness for general recreational open water scuba.

For doubles sidemount, they utilize Lola cylinder valves with a flexible crossbar interconnection routing in front of the diver at chest level between the two cylinders.

There might be some GUE diver somewhere who has fallen and bumped their head and thinks sidemount needs to have a manifold but I sure haven't seen that or a GUE sidemount class. From what I have seen they go take a class or find a mentor outside of GUE. They don't even all use a Contour which is definitely not an al 80 rig. Even the Zero Gravity rig will suck for Al 80's.

I believe Panos is trying to expand the Quest readership so having sidemount articles would be a way to try and do this.

Ask a GUE Instructor Evaluator/Trainer to comment and see what DIR sidemount apologist opinions they have in common . . . (You're closer to GUE HQ: why can't you get any objective info to share at all? ).
So.... you made it up?

There's no shortage of photos of GUE instructors diving SM.

There is a shortage of photos of them using a Lola manifold.

I'm just asking for your sources cuz I haven't seen any of that.

That said, I wouldn't rule out anything in this day and age of "dir" when the $ is king.

There might be some GUE diver somewhere who has fallen and bumped their head and thinks sidemount needs to have a manifold but I sure haven't seen that or a GUE sidemount class. From what I have seen they go take a class or find a mentor outside of GUE. They don't even all use a Contour which is definitely not an al 80 rig. Even the Zero Gravity rig will suck for Al 80's.

I believe Panos is trying to expand the Quest readership so having sidemount articles would be a way to try and do this.
Panos is the only one who wants to expand into the general sidemount recreational market "a la UTD"; JJ and the rest Instructor Evaluator Cadre are currently decided against this.

Look at the common equipment platform that GUE uses with the JJ CCR: The LOLA valves with flexible crossover. It makes sense that they are trying to develop a doubles sidemount application with the similar interconnection of the LOLA manifold system. . .

Last edited:
So.... you made it up?

There's no shortage of photos of GUE instructors diving SM.

There is a shortage of photos of them using a Lola manifold.

I'm just asking for your sources cuz I haven't seen any of that.

That said, I wouldn't rule out anything in this day and age of "dir" when the $ is king.
Go ask any IE and see if they care to comment who's beta testing and teaching a prototype sidemount course among the Instructors and GUE Cave 2 qualified divers.

Last edited:
Go ask any IE and see if they care to comment who's beta testing and teaching a prototype sidemount course among the Instructors and GUE Cave 2 qualified divers.
"Some ananymous guy on the internet says the SM course is using a Lola manifold. True or false!?"

Yeah I'll get right on that.

Because it make sense when you take into account the GUE/UTD rivalry; JJ and AG will always be diametrically opposed when it comes to DIR product marketing & training.

UTD sees sidemount as an essential & viable open water & overhead technique that's fully compatible & consistent with UTD Mixed Team concept within the DIR Long Hose paradigm.. GUE only sees this as a highly specialized skillset for overhead restrictions only, and chooses to be very exclusive on who can currently receive this training. . .

Even the Zero Gravity rig will suck for Al 80's..

I saw that thing a few weeks ago at zero g and was shocked. What's up with the rails built into the wing?

Because it make sense when you take into account the GUE/UTD rivalry; JJ and AG will always be diametrically opposed when it comes to DIR product marketing & training.

UTD sees sidemount as an essential & viable open water & overhead technique that's fully compatible & consistent with UTD Mixed Team concept within the DIR Long Hose paradigm.. GUE only sees this as a highly specialized skillset for overhead restrictions only, and chooses to be very exclusive on who can currently receive this training. . .

Sounds a lot more like you're talking out your ass again as opposed to having facts.

Panos is the only one who wants to expand into the general sidemount recreational market "a la UTD"; JJ and the rest Instructor Evaluator Cadre are currently decided against this.

Look at the common equipment platform that GUE uses with the JJ CCR: The LOLA valves with flexible crossover. It makes sense that they are trying to develop a doubles sidemount application with the similar interconnection of the LOLA manifold system. . .

Dude I really doubt that GUE cares about UTD and their crazy mamifold for sidemount. Most people I know think that it is idiotic. I really doubt they would try to manifold sidemount tanks. I think you are just a UTD fanatic and really want to believe that you didn't get fed a line of crap and wasted your money. If you like it fine but putting a manifold on sidemount tanks is just crazy and I really doubt it is something GUE would do.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom