Group buy-109/BA diaphragm covers & exhaust tee

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
P.S. - You folks keep posting pictures like this, and I'm going to need a cold shower......

What is the realistic timing of this?

The best answer I can give there is "I have no idea". The sample parts Couv has mailed to me are in some sort of USPS/Canada Post frat party, which god only knows when it will end and actually get delivered to my door. Once I have them, I'll sit down with my boss and we will work out the feasibility and pricing to do this. After that we still have mould design/production to do, and then make the parts and ship them. So at best it will still be a few months.

Okay - likely in for at least 3 purge covers (maybe as many as 6). Tees might be or interest (likely), but I see that you are still unsure of them becoming reality.

FWIW - I wish he had sent the package here, I could have gotten them to your door.... yep. border crossings are so much fun these days....

Please, please, please keep me posted. I just found out my LDS has broken ties with S-Pro, and they claim they wouldn't touch my stuff anyways. Now I am likely heading to St. Cathrines for service, and I am unsure if they will do it either.....

Get this - the LDS here has an almost perfect 109 on a display of "ancient stuff". I tried to get him to sell it, but I couldn't seem to get an answer.. they don't want it for anything other than the shelf... grrrrrrr!

I just inspected my diaphragm covers and they're not looking good. I guess I'm in for a few, but I'll confirm the exact number soon.

Depending on price I am in for 2/2.

COUV, since you started this, how about adding a line or 2 to the first post and keep it updated with stuff like price, if it's going to happen, how many more you need to make it happen and the like, saves us and esp new viewers from having to read through 5+ pages of chatter.

Hi guys, a little update. I have recieved the sample parts that Couv sent me, and I have had a chat with my boss briefly about them. As I suspected the exhaust tee's are un realistic, as it is a complex mould, that would have to be made from scratch, with multiple moving parts...it's doable, but would be far to expensive unless we were going to be making tens of thousands.

The diaphragm cover definetly has potential, and as soon as we get caught up a bit with customer moulds that are on the shop floor, we will sit down and work out pricing.

I do have some questions for you guys though. The cover has that metal insert. Are you guys looking to have the reproductions look identical? If so, we will have to source laser cutting for the inserts. The other option is to not do the metal insert, and just mould the ScubaPro symbol in the rubber, but of course it would be all black then.

Jim

Hi guys, a little update. I have recieved the sample parts that Couv sent me, and I have had a chat with my boss briefly about them. As I suspected the exhaust tee's are un realistic, as it is a complex mould, that would have to be made from scratch, with multiple moving parts...it's doable, but would be far to expensive unless we were going to be making tens of thousands.

The diaphragm cover definetly has potential, and as soon as we get caught up a bit with customer moulds that are on the shop floor, we will sit down and work out pricing.

I do have some questions for you guys though. The cover has that metal insert. Are you guys looking to have the reproductions look identical? If so, we will have to source laser cutting for the inserts. The other option is to not do the metal insert, and just mould the ScubaPro symbol in the rubber, but of course it would be all black then.

Jim

The scubapro covers do not come with the metal insert, just the groove to hold one. As far as I can tell, the inserts (logo) are no longer available from Scubapro. But the cover seems to work OK without one. I jhave eyeballed to idea of sticking something else in there to give the diaphragm a little more protection and my first try of a US $.25 did not quite fit. I was going to look for a brass washer but never got around to it. I really see it as mostly cosmetic since that area of the diaphragm is not very vulnerable to damage. Ideally, if you could mold it plain and solid with the groove to accept the logo, it would work either way. If omitting the groove saves more the $1, I'd suggest omitting it.

Then again, my sense of "style" has been subject to criticism in the past.:shocked2:

I still have the purge cover "key" that goes in the medalion to take pressure off it for storage.... I'm curious the difference between having the product made so that we can put those medalions in it (we supply them), or not....

I still have the purge cover "key" that goes in the medalion to take pressure off it for storage.... I'm curious the difference between having the product made so that we can put those medalions in it (we supply them), or not....

I have a couple of those old keys but I don't use them on my 109/156. Scubapro seems to have phased out the original key that was inserted into the logo in favor of another device that was inserted between the rubber cover and the metal ring. I'm guessing that was done to avoid damage to the diaphragm by the key. I do use that key on my newer R-series regs than do not have a good feature for relieving pressure on the LP seat in storage. My original R29? cover had a dive/pre-dive switch that was a PITA so I replaced that cover with an S555 cover which has a slot for that old key. Do you think Scubapro is trying to make sure the newer R-series regs don't have such a long usable LP seat life that the LDSs does not get to collect its annual service fee?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom