Government (GASP!) Regulation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was just trying to point out what could happen!
If the goverment where to take control of scuba diving!
Who is to say how far they will go to save us from ourselves?
I think the only way is for the scuba schools and divers.
To regulate ourselves and set our own standards.
If you dont think they will pass laws without asking divers.
All you have to do is look at the new florida shark feeding law!
It dosn't matter what side of the issue you are on they did not ask the diving community! They make knee jerk reactions What
could happen if a diver dies in a wreck or a cave. It's possible
they may say hmm thats too dangerous wi need to ban it!!
Most likly without looking at what caused the accident?
Its easy to say if they wern't there they wouldn't have died!!
Maybe Its me i just watched conspiricy therey hehe
Rick L

The government has been trying to close various caves for years now. It's more difficult to close a wreck... especially because, if it's three or more miles off-shore, it's in international waters.

- Warren

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
Rick,

Since when has the Occupational Safety and Health Administration had anything to do with recreational activities?

- Warren

:hmmm: How about when teaching scuba is my occupation? Just ask any dive shop owner about state Worker's Compensation laws, federal OSHA requirements for a safe workplace, and getting dive boat insurance without Coast Guard licensed captains.

If it is a business, government is already in the thick of it. The only question is how far do you want it to go?

A flight instructor once told me the laws and regulations that pertain to safety are written in blood. Many people died to amke these laws etc come into being. When enough people die while diving, the government will step in and regulate recreational diving. If we as a community don't want this then we need to get the recreational diving industry back to what it needs to be training wise.

With the FAA rule as for instructional time---40 hours of flight time is the minimum they will allow. The truth is very few make it in 40 hours. Most take closer to 60 hours to gain enough skill to take the checkride. Most dive agencies seem to want to "guarantee" that you will get certified after 5 class sessions and 10 hours in the pool. How many students would take up diving if they thought they might need to increase their time by half again as much.

I have often wondered if instructors ever had to recertify? It would seem that if the agencies required periodic review and it was performed well it would weed out the poor habits some instructors get themselves into. I would guess that flight instructors are so required.

This of course would not solve all of the perceived problems with the industry, but would at least insure that the instructor crowd is updated to current standards at least once in awhile.

Ed B

First, I must say that I'm amazed at how many would accept a government "solution" to diving industry woes, and even more amazed that anyone would propose it. It is a patently bad idea.
---------------------
Several comments bemoan the lack of quality control for instructors, and the lack of required refresher training for instructors - a valid point. Here is a quote from the SSI web page:
"Quality Instructors. SSI is the only agency that requires instructors to affiliate with a full-service Authorized Dealer. SSI Instructors are monitored on-site for adherence to the SSI Training Standards, professional conduct and performance, to ensure your course is taught right."
Many "independent" instructors rail against this SSI policy - a policy that makes being an SSI instructor a bit more of a pain than others. But I think there is merit in the system, and while I'm sure that somewhere out there one can find a lousy SSI instructor, the system in general ensures quality. Perhaps other agencies should look at something similar before the cry for government intervention appears on the political radar scope.
Rick

Rick,

How does being affiliated with an Authorized Dealer enforce good teaching? Is there a qualified instructor trainer / course director "on-site" at every one of these Authorized Dealers? If not, who's "monitoring" the instructor? The guy who sells overpriced BCs?

- Warren

Originally posted by SpyderTek
AGAIN with the value judgements! :wink:

Who are YOU to say MY life is priceless?

As soon as the USA started making "For your own good" laws like Mandatory seatbelts, Illegal to skateboard in NJ (except in designated areas), etc all so I wont hurt others? No, so I wont hurt MYSELF. They are taking away my civil liberties and have entered into the realm of Fascist Government.

Spydertek

There's a flip side to what you term "for your own good" laws. We transport and provide emergency services for accident victims with and without medical insurance, motorcyclists without helmets, etc. It costs and the public has to pay for avoidable or unnecessary injuries in the form of higher taxes, higher insurance rates, etc. There is a legitimate issue of public good involved.

Of course, governments can overprotect and overregulate, but it's not, as the NRA would have one believe, "give them an inch and they'll take a mile." (Did I just open a can of worms? <G>)

Originally posted by CAMPER
I have often wondered if instructors ever had to recertify? It would seem that if the agencies required periodic review and it was performed well it would weed out the poor habits some instructors get themselves into. I would guess that flight instructors are so required.

This of course would not solve all of the perceived problems with the industry, but would at least insure that the instructor crowd is updated to current standards at least once in awhile.

Ed B

PADI does require that instructors update to meet current standards after significant revision of standards. This is taught as an update course by a Course Director, but the instructor is not required to take an additional instructor exam.

PADI Instructors who have been inactive for a prolonged period may be required to take an update course and an examination before regaining teaching status. The length of the period of inactivity is evaluated in making a determination of what is required.

Originally posted by VTWarrenG
Rick,

How does being affiliated with an Authorized Dealer enforce good teaching? Is there a qualified instructor trainer / course director "on-site" at every one of these Authorized Dealers? If not, who's "monitoring" the instructor? The guy who sells overpriced BCs?

- Warren
Yes, there is a monitor at each Authorized Dealer, and written reports are submitted to SSI on each instructor annually. I'm not sure what minimum rating the monitor must be as the question's never come up at our shop (we have two IC's). This cuts both ways, too, as the staff submits feedback on the monitor, and all students submit feedback on their instructor. At our store, for example, we have two IC's (one is the store owner and the other a part-timer who's also a PADI IC), two DCSI's (one full time and me), two AOWI's (both part time) and a dozen DiveCons (all part time).
As for "overpriced BC's" loaded questions don't rate answers.
Rick

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom